Warning! mavotech suspension parts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-25-2009, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Warning! mevotech suspension parts

I just replaced my UCA and LCA 1 week ago. I used moog lca's and mevotech UCA. The mevotech UCA balljoint boot is already split! It was not damaged before I put it on. I was very careful installing the part. This is nuts! I guess I will take it back off and return it to rockauto for a replacement. I am glad I saved the old parts. The only good thing is it is on the drivers side which can be changed in ten min. I would recommend avoiding this brand at all cost!

Last edited by W.Cup; 05-26-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 03:59 PM
Veteran Poster

That sucks! Thanks for the heads up!

Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

UPDATE-- rockauto.com ROCKS! I called rockauto and told them about this problem. The lady was very friendly (and probably very pretty). She said that they will ship another replacement part for free and that they would even reimburse my labor costs, which I did the labor myself. I do not have to return the old UCA, she said just toss it, all this at no charge to me. Rockauto.com is just a great as newegg.com. They will get my return business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
4th Gear Poster

That's good news...question is, are you getting the same crappy item from them as a repalcement, or are they sending you a different model?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

I am sure it is the same junk as I did not get charged for a more expensive part. Maybe I just go a bad one, only time will tell.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Any update on the replacement rockauto sent you? I'm considering a Mevotech UCA from them.

'97 Thunderbird 3.8L V6
Pictures here
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper0522 View Post
Any update on the replacement rockauto sent you? I'm considering a Mevotech UCA from them.
Try the Dorman UCA instead.

The ones I got had as big a ball joint cap as the worn out Fomocos on the Cougar, plus they're lubeable (a plus for me, a minus for others.)

Still awaiting the Moog LCAs this week or next.

RwP
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:24 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Cup View Post
(and probably very pretty)
I always remember the end to the aerosmith video, with the old lady on the phone.... (ugggghhh!)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Since you now know that the boots are garbage why not remove the unused on and the none torn one and install the poly uca ball joint boots from rob?

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:19 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to KorpseofDeath
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Cup View Post
I am sure it is the same junk as I did not get charged for a more expensive part. Maybe I just go a bad one, only time will tell.
I Agree full strenght! DO NOT BUY MEVOTECH! I almost bought just like you. I got MOOG upper control arms, and MEVOTECH LCA.. Here is the MAJOR problem! I HAVN'T driven my car at all! It's been in my driveway for 6 months, because the engine was out. When I was putting the engine back in, I looked at the LCA, and the bushing was CRACKED, HARD, and grease has drooped all over my rims and the ground! How more pathetic can it get.... =(((

~1997 TBIRD 4.6L LX SPORT ~ Xenon Kit ~ 149K Miles ~ K&N ~ JMOD ~ Daily Driver
~1991 TBIRD 5.0L HO ~ Completely Stock ~
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Moog or TRW are the only way to go.

Moog kicks ass, and TRW is the OEM supplier to Ford. The original suspension components on your cars from the factory were TRW.

Moog is a division of Federal Mogul. HQ in Southfield, MI. That's right, it's an AMERICAN COMPANY!

TRW world HQ is in Livonia, MI

Mevotech is Canadian.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:17 PM

i put masterpros from o'reilly in my car, the price was right and i was kinda in a bind as my passenger side UCA's ball joint was REALLY bad and getting dangerous. The master pros have a lifetime warranty so if anything goes wrong im getting new ones, If the boots rip im gonna get robertp's UCA ball joint boots.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 06:33 PM
PostWhore

I think that the mevotech steering parts I used should be fine but I can see myself replacing the boots soon. I also used mevotech front sway bar links but they seem pretty good. At least those won't be hard to swap out for some moogs when the time comes.

-Randy-
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 01:07 AM
1st Gear Poster

Mevotech comes in a pretty box..It was the only brand I could get my hands on immediately and the wheel was ready to pop off..
My boot also split in about a months time. So how well are they holding up besides the boot issue?

I got a Moog when I did the other side. So far so good.

Tom Gibson

1996 T Bird Pacific Green Metallic, gray cloth interior,3.8 motor.
I hate deer need parts..
My Jeeps are my hobbies; 77 Honcho,81 J20
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 09:15 AM
5th Gear Poster

Moog and trw are the only way to go. I bought a full replacement suspension set up off e-bay a couple of years ago. I thought when it said OEM it meant Original Equipment Manufacturer. ( I know call me stupid) Went and opened the box a year later and found junk. The lower control arms had the balljoints formed into them not pressed in like the originals. The bushings also were not pressed in properly. I would not risk my life on these. Installed all moog no problems.

1997 Mark 8 LSC

Former owner:
1996 Thunderbird lx 4.6
1994 Thunderbird lx 4.6
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 10:50 AM

I can vouch for the MOOG upper arms from Rock Auto also. Very satisfied with the quality and the ones I received had a grease fitting as well.

They even looked a good bit stouter than the originals that came off my Mark 8.

True, I learned the hard way about Ebay/China suspension parts when I replaced the pittman arm on a Dodge Ram one time. It lasted maybe 6 months at the most before being totally shot.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 11:53 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I've always had excellent luck with Moog parts. I typically get the Moog brand for any of my cars that need suspension parts replaced. Either that, or Energy Suspension. Both companies engineer the hell out of their stuff and it shows.

Currently Own:
1987 Toyota MR2 (project car)
1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6L
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Another place NOT to get front upper control arms - Napa.

At least not their cheap brand. I bought a set, installed them - one split and started squeeking one and half WEEKS later. The other one just started squeeking and it's been almost a year now.

I live in Flatland Florida, so these arms should have lasted forever! The most "exercise" they get in a few speeds bumps in my neighborhood.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-28-2011, 07:06 PM
PostWhore

I actually have had success with my Raybestos UCA's that I got from Rock Auto. About a year and 8K miles later they are still in good shape.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in