Best LCA replacement? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Best LCA replacement?

I did a search, but didn't get a clear sense of the best LCA replacement to use (MOOG, TRW, Motorcraft, other?). UCAs done about 2 months ago. Car has only 72K (I'm the original owner), but lower ball joints are starting to look funky.
What do you guys recommend? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 03:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 94trouble
Moog.

Wrecked my 94LX looking to get another car.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 06:55 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
As far as I know, Motorcraft is TRW (correct me if I'm wrong). But yes, Moog or Motorcraft is the way to go.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:39 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
As far as I know, Motorcraft is TRW (correct me if I'm wrong). But yes, Moog or Motorcraft is the way to go.
Yes, Motorcraft is TRW. They were the OEM contractor that built many suspension components for Ford.

So, yea as stated above go TRW or Moog.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

I bought moog from rockauto and they say TRW on them. These do not have grease ports though. I bought moog because I thought they would have them.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks...
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:16 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Cup View Post
I bought moog from rockauto and they say TRW on them. These do not have grease ports though. I bought moog because I thought they would have them.
Moog owns TRW and have stock. Lower Control Arms I prefer the TRW's. Do you know the part numbers sent? You might have gotten a bonus and gotten SC lowers.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
TRW and Federal-Mogul, aka Moog, are not the same company. Moog does not own TRW Automotive.

You can read a list of Federal-Mogul brands HERE.

If you ordered Moog and got TRW there was a switch made in your order.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-11-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Add addl link
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 10:56 AM

Super Moderator

Garage
I stand corrected (sort of). It's Federal-Mogul that purchased "nearly all of TRW Inc.'s replacement auto parts business" not Moog which is a division of Federal-Mogul. Provided this deal went through Federal-Mogul would own that division and TRW would still stands on it's own independent of Federal-Mogul.

It's my understanding that the acquisition would have resulted in a name change for that division from TRW to MOOG. Either way they're good products regardless of which name they bear.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/08/25/bu...-business.html

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 06-11-2009 at 11:09 AM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:11 PM
5th Gear Poster

Moog over here. Been on them for 20,000 + miles and no problems.

97 T-bird Silver 4.6

If it aint one thing its another.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:08 AM
1st Gear Poster

Besides Ford OEM parts.....only the TRW 10771 and 10772 LCA's have been verified to have the correct inner pivot bushings for a SC. Not getting easier to find them though. Moog lists no difference in PN for the NA or SC LCA's....BUT...the SC specific arms have inner pivot bushings with almost twice the spring rate (stiffness) as the NA version. At least they did when they were made for/by Ford.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post
Yes, Motorcraft is TRW. They were the OEM contractor that built many suspension components for Ford.

So, yea as stated above go TRW or Moog.
There's even some shadiness there. Technically, Motorcraft is not TRW. As an example, if you go to Ford and ask for an upper control arm, you can get the Motorcraft piece or you can get the OEM TRW piece. They are not the same.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:10 AM
1st Gear Poster

No shadiness at all. TRW was the OE Supplier to Ford for many of the suspension parts used on the MN12. Ford does not make 100% of all the parts on any car they make. Just like Tokico supplied the shocks....TRW made suspension parts.

MOOG never has been an OE Supplier to the auto industry. They never had the requisite quality to qualify.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
There's even some shadiness there. Technically, Motorcraft is not TRW. As an example, if you go to Ford and ask for an upper control arm, you can get the Motorcraft piece or you can get the OEM TRW piece. They are not the same.
Yes, the motorcraft UCA is greasable, and cost 1/2 what the Ford one cost. It seems like a good unit but it has a layer of light surface rust on it now. The 14 yo original cleaned up black shiny new. Generally though you can trust Motorcraft to source from a good supplier. The dealer would have no problem replacing your arm with the Motorcraft one under warranty though. They both pass Fords quality standard.

The rear Motorcraft white shocks I replaced were definately made by Monroe/Tenneco. The new sensatracs had very similar markings and varied by a date code. The welds and shock looked exact except for color and graphics. After 4 years they needed replacement...

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:12 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffy Floyd View Post
No shadiness at all. TRW was the OE Supplier to Ford for many of the suspension parts used on the MN12. Ford does not make 100% of all the parts on any car they make. Just like Tokico supplied the shocks....TRW made suspension parts.

MOOG never has been an OE Supplier to the auto industry. They never had the requisite quality to qualify.
Well the Moog (probably reboxed TRW) sway bar links appear identical to the Ford units. They even have the same plastic shipping cones on the ends. From what I understand MOOG is TRWs aftermarket now, a manager in advance auto told me that. Overnight all their TRW stuff became MOOG.

Also, TRW may be using MOOGs factory to manufacture parts for them, and rebadge it TRW with their quality spec.

Also, brands today source things globally and just slap their name on it. I've bought a TRW arm made in Canada, and at another time it was made in the US and it had slightly different markings. Usually there are two suppliers in the Auto industry in case there are issues. Like with the shocks, Ford may be using Tenneco and Tokico for their needs.

Bottom line is buying from an OEM supplier will give you the best in quality.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:15 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Are the Motorcraft control arms no longer available? I went to the Motorcraft website and did a search for all Motorcraft parts available for a 1997 Thunderbird w/4.6 liter motor - the only suspension pieces listed were control arm bushings and sway-bar end-links.

Dennis
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
Are the Motorcraft control arms no longer available? I went to the Motorcraft website and did a search for all Motorcraft parts available for a 1997 Thunderbird w/4.6 liter motor - the only suspension pieces listed were control arm bushings and sway-bar end-links.

Dennis
Ask jon in the ford parts counter. He recently quoted about $44 for them.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:47 PM
1st Gear Poster

Apperances can be deceiving.

As far as the poster that noted the Motorcraft front UCA had greaseable balljoints....not according to the original design they don't. They are teflon lined ball joints for low friction by original design and are not greaseable. If you get a greasable joint then it is metal on metal inside and not of a low friction design. Same for the lower ball joint....low friction design...not greasable. Tokico was the ONLY supplier of the ARC shocks for the SC and select XR7's. Have no idea who made the conventional shocks for MN12's.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 05:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:

As far as the poster that noted the Motorcraft front UCA had greaseable balljoints....not according to the original design they don't. They are teflon lined ball joints for low friction by original design and are not greaseable. If you get a greasable joint then it is metal on metal inside and not of a low friction design. Same for the lower ball joint....low friction design...not greasable. Tokico was the ONLY supplier of the ARC shocks for the SC and select XR7's. Have no idea who made the conventional shocks for MN12's.
Duffy this is correct. The Motorcraft units ar different than the Ford UCA. And I find it interesting that they mentioned rust. The new TRW units I have are nice and painted black and the MOOG units (with grease fittings) rusted rather quickly.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post

Dennis

Indeed they are; RockAuto has them for sale too, although Jon can get you one for less.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 06:53 PM
PostWhore

Quote:

Thats true, the original design was teflon, but on a 15 year old car I'm glad I can find a high quality low cost replacement. I think motorcraft knows the market and hit the spot with that replacement.

Its funny that the SC Ford LCAs are about $20 cheaper (discount pricing) than the Non SC. I think $95 vs $115. Do the SC lcas come with the LCA strut rod bushings too? I would definately consider those SC arms if the need arises.

I wonder why TRW/Moog don't sell the original rubber Strut rod bushings, but rather moog has those pencil eraser-poor excuse for a bushing. I wonder if those were made by even another supplier. That part must be some profit center for Ford! Those little pieces of rubber cost more than the control arms!

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM
1st Gear Poster

Both complete sets of TRW 10771 and 10772 arms I bought came with the strut rod bushings used at the LCA to strut rod "joint" but I use OEM Ford parts there. The TRW parts supplied have separate inner sleeve and bushings as opposed to the Ford units that have intergral "liner" sleeve and are shaped differently.

My experience has been that aftermarket strut rod bushings tend to increase impact harshness so I stay with OEM parts myself.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:05 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Unhappy

Okay, so its been a long time since I've posted but I love my 3 cougars more than ever. Anyway, I just replaced the lower control arms on my 97 4.6L XR7 Sport and I wanted to share my experience with you guys.
I normally only buy ford/motorcraft parts but I decided to save a little and bought some LCA's from another source that I trusted. These control arms came with grease fittings and that made me feel a little uneasy. I know many folks like grease fittings on their ball joints (zerks = quality) but I don't. Now that I've got the new control arms in, greased, and realigned; they are popping and crunching like crazy. I'm pissed. As soon as I can afford it, I'm putting ford/motorcraft LCAs in. I don't think I've done anything wrong and I've done this job several times.
If anyone else has had a bad experience similar to mine then, well, that would make me feel a little better.

I gave you the choice of aiding me willingly, but you have selected the way of PAIN!!

97 XR7 Sport 4.6L
90 XR7 5 speed
92 LS 3.8L
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 12:12 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
As I stated in another thread, Advance Auto Parts is selling the TRW-made lower control arms for the 1995 Thunderbird SuperCoupe, which are the correct lower control arms for a 1996 or 1997 Thunderbird or Cougar with the Sport suspension/option (they have harder/stiffer pivot bushings than non-sport suspension lower control arms).

I just got 2 of them several weeks ago for my 1997 Thunderbird Sport.

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in