LCA shock bushing - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

LCA shock bushing

Mitchell says that the shock bushing on the front LCA's are not replaceable, and that you must replace the entire arm... then how do I have a replacement shock bushing K8604 in front of me?
Has anyone else attempted the apparently-impossible and replaced this, and if so how the hell did you get it pressed out?

Needs more stall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:19 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I just had my strut bolt bushing in my lower control arm replaced by a repair shop. I was trying to replace my front struts and the lower mounting bolt for my strut was seized to the bushing and there was NO WAY IN HELL that thing was coming out, at least not with the tools I had at home! I'm not sure how you'd get that bushing out at home, but good luck!

Dennis
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:21 PM
PostWhore

There all replaceable. I replaced the bushing that connects the arm to the sub frame on my old bird. I think most people just replace the whole are because its just easier, you get all new bushings and ball joint, its a decent price for what you get, and the arm is not all rusty.

1995 T-bird 4.6l - Eibach lowering springs, Cobra R hood, One 12" sub woofer, Alpine type-R front speakers. 16.249 @85.11mph 1/4 mile
2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 - Cam, headers, HPtuned by me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Oh I'm at a shop full of tools and a lift... I wouldn't even think of trying this at home. The reason I'm trying it this way is because the sub frame bushing is fine, and I just put a ball joint in this arm because I needed the car drivable ASAP and nowhere around here had the arm in stock, but had the ball joints.
I tried a ball joint C-clamp but the sleeve on the outside of the bushing doesn't want to budge. I've tried beating on it with a hammer, mostly to take some frustration out on it. And yeah, I've tried a bigger hammer. Even then, it wouldn't ham. I'm about to just throw it all back together and give up on it for now.

Needs more stall.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Braincoating! It's what all the cool kids have!

Administrator

I replace them all the time (on the arms that get powder coated). The issue is normally that it is cost prohibitive to rebush them compared to the off the shelf cost of the arm.

www.BRAINCOATING.com..... Powder & Ceramic Coating

WWW.PRESTONSBOOKS.BIZ..... Books at really great prices!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:29 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
Oh I'm at a shop full of tools and a lift... I wouldn't even think of trying this at home. The reason I'm trying it this way is because the sub frame bushing is fine, and I just put a ball joint in this arm because I needed the car drivable ASAP and nowhere around here had the arm in stock, but had the ball joints.
I tried a ball joint C-clamp but the sleeve on the outside of the bushing doesn't want to budge. I've tried beating on it with a hammer, mostly to take some frustration out on it. And yeah, I've tried a bigger hammer. Even then, it wouldn't ham. I'm about to just throw it all back together and give up on it for now.
You are talking about that hotdog bushing for the strut? I'm thinking maybe it could be chiseled or pried out? The outer shell may be able to be bent and you can bend it out. Then another can be pressed in. Maybe use the new bushing to push the old one out

How badly is the old one damaged? If you need it for a while I temporarily fixed one of those with two rubber round bushings. I got them from the rear shocks, and enlarged the holes. It actually worked very well! You need the center metal tube of course.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

The rubber in the old one is nonexistent. At the moment, it's just a bolt running through the metal sleeve, then some air, then a larger metal sleeve. I think it's all just rusted together inside. I'm done messing with it for now, but I'll try the chisel tomorrow.

Needs more stall.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
The rubber in the old one is nonexistent. At the moment, it's just a bolt running through the metal sleeve, then some air, then a larger metal sleeve. I think it's all just rusted together inside. I'm done messing with it for now, but I'll try the chisel tomorrow.
no then it must be replaced. Mine just spun in the rubber with a tight fit but moved from side to side. The bushings made a tight temp fix.

Guess you used the blue wrench on that one lol...

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in