front end rattling, inspected today, opinions? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

front end rattling, inspected today, opinions?

So I jacked up my car today to check out my sspension and what the rattling noise might be that I was asking about a while back.

I put the jack under the front shock on each side so the suspension wasn't extended.

I grabbed the top and bottom of my wheel and rocked it, and my right front wheel wobbles a little bit. I checked it out from behind as best I could and it didn't look like any suspension components were moving or loose.

I hit the wheel a bit and it made a noise that sounds like it could be the noise I hear when I hit bumps, just less intense since I can't hit it as hard as a bump.

So, I'm suspecting my wheel bearing might be bad on this side, all the rest of the wheels don't move at all. Its a weird noise I hear though, its knocking around, and could be this wheel, but it doesn't seem/feel like it's localized to that specific wheel.

Anyone else think it's my wheel bearing? I guess if I replaced it and the knocking went away then I would know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 07:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Which way does it move? If you grab the top and bottom of the tire and rock it and it moves, it could be the wheel bearing or one of your ball joints - watch the spindle to see if it moves as you rock the tire. If you see the top moving, then you have upper ball joint issues. If you stick a 2x4 or steel bar under the tire and lift up and the wheel moves with it (while not moving the lower control arm... grab a buddy to watch), you might have lower ball joint issues. Otherwise your wheel bearing is at fault for that movement. If you grab the front and rear of the tire and rock it and it moves, it could be either the wheel bearing, sway bar endlinks, tie rods ends... Again, grab a friend.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 06-21-2009 at 07:06 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I was told that my right front wheel bearing was bad by a Goodyear tire dealer. I bought new ones and when I went to put them on, I found that the wheel bearing nut was loose - I could almost loosen it by hand! So, it probably wasn't bad, but I was going to replace them anyway because my Thunderbird, which I bought about 2 1/2 months ago, had 144,000 miles on it and they were probably the OE ones.

If you do buy new wheel bearings, I'd stay away from the ones they sell on eBay - I bought two of them because I could get them both for the cost of one at AutoZone or Advance Auto. But, when I was sliding the one on the spindle, the cap that covers the bearings popped off, exposing the bearings and grease. I popped it back on, but I just don't feel good about them, now. I'm about to replace my entire front suspension (new upper and lower control arms, tension strut bushings, etc), so I'm going to buy new Timken wheel bearings for it.

It's possible, but probably not likely, that you have a loose wheel bearing nut, too. Those nuts are supposed to be tight, too - I think Ford specifies something like 188-254 ft-lbs. And, you're supposed to replace, instead of reuse, the wheel bearing nuts. I put my old ones back on (I applied blue Loctite to them), but only because I'm replacing the wheel bearings again soon. I got new nuts at the Ford dealer (about $22 a piece).

I also had a terrible knocking sound in my front suspension when I'd go over bumps that made me think something was going to fall off the car (that's why I was at the Goodyear dealer) - it turned-out that my front sway-bar end-links were totally shot. I replaced them and now my suspension has been almost completely quiet since! Those could very well be causing the noise you're hearing!

Good luck!

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
To add about wheel bearings - I replaced my LF one not too long ago with a Timken unit from RockAuto. The nut and bearing, with shipping and the 5% discount (search for the thread on here, people update it with up-to-date codes), was $70. Also, like Dennis said, the sway bar endlinks can be a real noise-making pain when they go bad. I just replaced both of mine because I was getting noises and that took care of that.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

I didn't shove a bar or 2x4 under the tire, just used hand pressure and punching.

The wheel will move all directions. If i grab top and bottom, I can push the top in, and pull the bottom out... like this sort of motion / \ / \ ..... I can do the same thing grabbing it from the left and right on the side.

Heres my problem, what exactly are the swaybar end links... I don't know what I'm looking for/at, and there isn't much room to see with the wheel still on.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 07:23 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Take the wheel off silly. The end links connect the sway-bar to the spindle. Get yourself a Chilton and/or Haynes manual and look this stuff up.

How many miles does the car have? IMO it sounds like your bearings are bad.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 07:54 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
I didn't shove a bar or 2x4 under the tire, just used hand pressure and punching.

The wheel will move all directions. If i grab top and bottom, I can push the top in, and pull the bottom out... like this sort of motion / \ / \ ..... I can do the same thing grabbing it from the left and right on the side.

Heres my problem, what exactly are the swaybar end links... I don't know what I'm looking for/at, and there isn't much room to see with the wheel still on.
Sir,
Download a manual here for your year and study the suspension section very carefully. They will explain exactly how to check everything:

http://www24.brinkster.com/sdhartney/linc/linc.htm

Look toward the bottom left.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
Johnny the Wheel bearings are most likely shot. And soon it will get bad enough that you'll start eating brake rotors and such as the whole assemly moves and starts pressing on the pads all weird. I suggest you replace the wheel hubs asap. It's an easy job. It's a single 36mm Nut that holes the whole thing on.

Remove the wheel and tire with the car jacked up of course

Remove the brake caliper from the Caliper bracket(attach it somewhere with wire or something so it's not dangling from the brake line.)

There is a cap on the end of the spindle. I took a flat blade screw driver to pry it off. Just worked around until it popped off. This will expose the nut holding the hub assembly on.

This is where an impact wrench works wonders. Take the impact and a 36mm socket and hammer the nut off. If you don't you'll need a good size break over bar and cheater pipe. Like stated above... that sucker is on to over 250Ft lbs and probably rusted from being on there for over 10 years.

Now that the nut is off you can take the hub off. Mine was easy since they were replaced with mustang hubs already. Yours might be stuck. Take a mallet and beat it off the spindle.

Now clean all the grease and gunk off the spindle and start inspecting the spindle to make sure it's not cracked or damaged. Not likely but I am an aircraft mechanic so it's habbit and good practice for me.

Now that everything is cleaned up and good to go. Lube the spindle back up. Slide teh replacement Wheel hub back on. And start torqing the nut on. It is recommended to get a new nut. I replaced mine and used blue loctite for safe measure... knowing that 1 nut was the only thing holding my wheel on at 145+ MPH was unnerving.

Like stated above torque to 188-254 ft lbs of torque. Takes a big torque wrench lol. Put the dust cap back on the end of the spindle and put everything back together. And now your wheel wiggle and rattling issues will disappear.

I ordered timken bearings myself. I believe I ordered mine from Autoanything. Paid like 90 shipped for both of the them or something close to that. The Tbird hubs may be a little more expensive but I don't know.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in