Back and forth movement in tire--How do I find the problem? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Back and forth movement in tire--How do I find the problem?

Okay there is a similar question up, but I started my own thread to avoid confusion. My thunderbird mostly just sits in my driveway at the time being. I changed a tire on it the other day and performed the wiggle test. It moves from side to side. I broke out the haynes manual and starting checking for looseness in different areas. I found the camber adjustment screw was loose. Suspensions are definitely not my area of expertise, but I assumed it should be tight because the one on the other side of the car was tight. I tightened it, and the movement is now rather miniscule, but still present. I asked a friend's advice and he said he thought it was normal play at this point. I felt for the steering gear mounting screw and it is tight the best I can tell. (I can't get a wrench on it without taking something major off.) The movement could originally be seen in the lower control arm(I hope I'm using the right term--its the one with the camber adjustment screw on the end of it) and the tie rod. Now the movement can ever so slightly be seen in the tie rod. The other wheel can also be seen turning as well when I wiggle the one in question. The movement is not more than a centimeter in range. I plan on getting an alignment soon, but I am trying to decide if anything needs to be replaced before the car is aligned, so I can avoid labor charges. (I'm a college student, and I don't have a whole lot of money.) Also, Can 4-wheel alignments be performed on a rear-wheel drive? There has been an ongoing debate about this between a couple of friends and myself for quites some time now.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

I was movin' down the road in my V8 Ford...
--ZZ Top
...Cadillac rollin' on the open road, nothin' outrun my V8 Ford...
--Chuck Berry
Me and my babe bought a V8 Ford, we run that thing down on the runnin' board...
--Robert Johnson
Have you heard? What's the Word? It's Thunderbird!
--ZZ Top
Rollin...in my 5.0...
--Vanilla Ice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:58 PM
4th Gear Poster

These cars are very adjustable when it comes to a four wheel alignment. I suggest you take it to a good front end shop and have them estimate the work that needs to be done. They will tell you what you need to have done. You can then choose what work you want to complete yourself before you have it aligned.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
5th Gear Poster

have you checked yor ball joints or wheel bearing

third birds the charm.. I HOPE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
if you grab it on the top and bottom and can wiggle it can be either wheel hubs or ball joints. If you look on the inside of the wheel when you do the wiggle and see what all is moving it helps.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

It doesn't wiggle from botom to top--it wiggles ever so slightly from left to right.

I was movin' down the road in my V8 Ford...
--ZZ Top
...Cadillac rollin' on the open road, nothin' outrun my V8 Ford...
--Chuck Berry
Me and my babe bought a V8 Ford, we run that thing down on the runnin' board...
--Robert Johnson
Have you heard? What's the Word? It's Thunderbird!
--ZZ Top
Rollin...in my 5.0...
--Vanilla Ice
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 08:42 AM
5th Gear Poster

i agree with Ken. Go get a good alignment. Tbirds can definately take a 4 wheel alignment. If the shop tells you otherwise, they are incorrect. Consider a better shop.

most of them will tell you if you need a repair that prevents/impacts their ability to align it. you can determine if its something you can attempt on your own.

FYI - i found a place with a good alignment guy, and they offered a lifetime alignment deal. its paid for itself several times over now.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 01:07 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
I've heard from most shops that these cars need Camber bushings for the rear. And that they charge like 90-150 bux for the kit... But if I remember correctly looking through the ford CD there is a screw for this kinda thing am I right? Just goes to show how much of a ripoff some places are.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

I get the firestone lifetime alignment on all of my cars bur we have good people in the shop here not the high school kid crowd it usually takes the some time to do my car 3 or 4 hours on the rack to get it right. But since then I found out that thier alignment machine was out of wack. They have fixed that now to bring all my cars in real soon. Firestone lifetime alignment cost about 150-200 depends on if you get tires. with a car as old as ours the camber kits should already be installed.

Texashurst

Last edited by texashurst; 07-11-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in