Which stabilizer bar links to buy? - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
Which stabilizer bar links to buy?

So I need some new stabilizer bar links and have been checking around locally, the only ones I can get here are TRW/Fed. Mogul, and they are $83 per side.

Rock auto has raybestos links for $12, but it will cost $29 to ship them to Canada..... lets not forget conversion.


I'm getting really uncomfortable driving around with my links in as bad a shape as I think they are, and I can feel the car "sway" from time to time, there is a LOT of knocking, and it pulls to the right if I let go of the wheel (which is not a habit i'm into, just for testing)

I would like to avoid spending a ton of money to replace these, but they need to be replaced, so any suggestions are welcome.
BigJohnny is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:53 PM
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
So I need some new stabilizer bar links and have been checking around locally, the only ones I can get here are TRW/Fed. Mogul, and they are $83 per side.

Rock auto has raybestos links for $12, but it will cost $29 to ship them to Canada..... lets not forget conversion.


I'm getting really uncomfortable driving around with my links in as bad a shape as I think they are, and I can feel the car "sway" from time to time, there is a LOT of knocking, and it pulls to the right if I let go of the wheel (which is not a habit i'm into, just for testing)

I would like to avoid spending a ton of money to replace these, but they need to be replaced, so any suggestions are welcome.
I'm not for buying cheap parts, but sway bar links are not a critical safety part, I would probably go for those on a budget. Hell, people buy NO NAME stuff on ebay and seem ok with it. At least this has the raybestos/spicer pedigree, so I wouldn't say its garbage.

If you are not going to be doing racing or crazy cornering they will probably be fine. Also if you are planning to keep the car very long(over 5 years say), you may want to get something a bit better.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator
 
theterminator93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio
Age: 31
Posts: 9,081
Garage
I bought a pair of Motorcrafts from Jon here at the parts counter for $43 a piece.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
theterminator93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 08:09 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
I can only speak for Moog front stabilizer-bar end-links as I just replaced my worn-out ones with them. The old ones were knocking so bad when I bought my '97 T-Bird back in April that I took the car to a Goodyear dealer to have the front-end checked-out - I thought something was going to fall off! I've since replaced them with the Moog units and, so far, they are performing flawlessly! My front-end is totally quiet now and I'm very happy with them!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Converter Guy
 
dirtyd0g's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: batavia,oh
Age: 42
Posts: 6,617
Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The expensive aftermarket ones will have a grease fitting. As long as you keep them greased they will last a very long time. The others are sealed. When they wear out replace them, but they usually last a while so it is hard to say which way is better.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
dirtyd0g is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 01:26 AM
6th Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: spring grove, il
Age: 37
Posts: 623
FYI, worn endlinks won't cause your car to pull. Get your front end looked at, or check it out yourself. More than likely your tires are to blame for the pull.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
coolhandzep is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-04-2009, 10:42 AM
PostWhore
 
decipha's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Orleans, LA
Posts: 1,485
or the strut rod bushings make sure you check those out
decipha is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandzep View Post
FYI, worn endlinks won't cause your car to pull. Get your front end looked at, or check it out yourself. More than likely your tires are to blame for the pull.
I could be crazy, but I think I see a little bit of positive camber on my front passenger wheel. Looks a little like my tires are also wearing on the outside edge a bit..... or on that wheel anyway.

am I incorrect in thinking that if my end links were bad, it has potential to throw off my alignment?
BigJohnny is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:17 AM
6th Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: spring grove, il
Age: 37
Posts: 623
Endlinks have no effect on your alignment specs. You could throw your sway bar/end links in the trash and nothing would be changed in terms of chamber, caster, or toe.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
coolhandzep is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 754
ok, thats good to know then I guess

what's an alignment usually cost? I don't think they can be done in the garage huh.
BigJohnny is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
Nitemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 29
Posts: 893
My 94 has no end links, and it doesn't hurt anything. A few days after I got it, I was looking under it and found that someone cut them off with a torch. I do not know why.
I've seen four wheel alignments cost anywhere between $60 to a little over $100, depending on the shop. You can attempt to align it yourself, but it is not recommended. If it's off badly, I would eyeball it to something more acceptable temporarily, until I can get it aligned. But that's just me.

Needs more stall.
Nitemare is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 06:07 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitemare View Post
My 94 has no end links, and it doesn't hurt anything. A few days after I got it, I was looking under it and found that someone cut them off with a torch. I do not know why.
I've seen four wheel alignments cost anywhere between $60 to a little over $100, depending on the shop. You can attempt to align it yourself, but it is not recommended. If it's off badly, I would eyeball it to something more acceptable temporarily, until I can get it aligned. But that's just me.
You are correct; not having sway-bar end-links on your '94 T-Bird doesn't hurt anything - EXCEPT the vehicle's handling (and, negatively, I might add)!!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 02:28 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
Nitemare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Age: 29
Posts: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
You are correct; not having sway-bar end-links on your '94 T-Bird doesn't hurt anything - EXCEPT the vehicle's handling (and, negatively, I might add)!!

Dennis
It obviously will affect handling, but what I meant by that was that it won't hurt the vehicle (as long as you don't wreck the car). I figured what I meant was understood, but I guess I was wrong.

Needs more stall.
Nitemare is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome