UCA's quick question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
UCA's quick question

I ordered new UCA's since mine are shot and I have been feeling a little uneasy driving on them. I did the drivers side once before but strauss sold me a crappy arm and not a year later the boot was torn up. I did notice after I did that arm though that I developed a clanking sound that happens (mostly) when pulling in to my driveway on an angle, I was told by some that this is because I tightened the bolts completely while the car was in the air and did not have weight on the suspension, is this true? should I tighten them up fully when the suspension has weight on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:53 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
From what I know, it is true that if the bolts are fully torqued with the suspension fully extended that the bushings will bind once things are in their normal state.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 11:09 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
You'll definately bind the bushings if you torque the bolts while the car is up in the air. Mine were pretty easy to get to with the car on the tires normally, but I'm not lowered or anything.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Motorboatin' SOB
Headlight Cleaning Guru

Send a message via AIM to big mike
jack up the car from the lca. put the jack right under the ball joint and lift it off the jackstand slightly, then torque away.

2014 GT
1990 300ZX TT
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-08-2009, 03:16 PM
PostWhore

Strauss sucks, they are only good for chemicals.

Yes, you have to tighten the bolts with the bolts with the weight on the wheels, otherwise you will get binding. You want the bushings to restrict any upward movement, without any preload

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for the tips guys, depending on what time the ups guy shows up tomorrow I will (hopefully) be doing this in the morning.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I was wondering should I but some of those ball join covers(boots)? do they help at all or are they more detrimental then good?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Got the new UCA's today, they look to be of decent quality and the ball joint boots are much heavier rubber then what I got from strauss last time. I was surprised that they sent me 2 types one was a thinner (same as whats there now) non greaseable unit and the other was a thicker unit that also came with a boot cover already on it. One came with a pinch bolt the other did not so I think I should go up to autozone and see if they sell the pinch bolt other wise should I reuse the one I put on last time? I know you aren't supposed to but what should I do?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I re-used the pinch bolts when I did my UCAs... no trouble so far.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

That is what I ended up doing, the drivers side wasn't as bad as I thought but the passenger side was scary looking, I think if I put it off any longer it may have broken off soon.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
Got the new UCA's today, they look to be of decent quality and the ball joint boots are much heavier rubber then what I got from strauss last time. I was surprised that they sent me 2 types one was a thinner (same as whats there now) non greaseable unit and the other was a thicker unit that also came with a boot cover already on it. One came with a pinch bolt the other did not so I think I should go up to autozone and see if they sell the pinch bolt other wise should I reuse the one I put on last time? I know you aren't supposed to but what should I do?
use some Locktite and do not overtighten that nut. Maybe 60 ft/lbs. You can stress the flange where it attaches.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

New drivers side.

Old drivers side(wasn't as bad as I thought but it was torn)

New Passenger side.

Old Passenger side.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
I'd check the lowers closely; you probably saved yourself a terror moment there!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I definitely did lol when I took it out and it had up and down movement I actually thought I would be able to pull it out with my hands. Funny enough I still have that front end noise, I think next up will be the front end links.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:05 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
The swaybar endlinks cause the most noise; one end will be wasted, one end frozen.

(I have 2 sets like that, lol.)

They rattle like something's falling off.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thats the sound I've got but the links didn't look to be in bad shape and made no noise when I tried to shake them with the suspension under load. Im sure it is them would it be ill advised to ride around with them off of the car for a short time?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 02:53 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewishkah View Post
Thats the sound I've got but the links didn't look to be in bad shape and made no noise when I tried to shake them with the suspension under load. Im sure it is them would it be ill advised to ride around with them off of the car for a short time?
AFAIK, if they fail, they won't break anything, but corners will su*k. And it will make a bunch of noise.

Ever drive a 4x4 with no swaybars? (Rock crawlers don't use em, apparently...)

The suspension loads the to where they won't make any noise while attached; pop the bottom connection on one, and it will rattle. The top will be frozen, most likely.

A puller is really handy for this; and nondestructive as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in