The ole switcheroo! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

Send a message via AIM to Bob Kinee Send a message via MSN to Bob Kinee Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Kinee Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Kinee
The ole switcheroo!

Well here is my situation. I will let the details paint a picture of what has been running through my mind as of the past few weeks. I have a 94 Mark VIII with the strutmasters lowering springs(removed airride)kit. Well a short time ago my Mark was rear-ended which left her with a salavage title. Since then I have picked up another sunrise red 93 5.0 Thunderbird(now I got two, woot!). My only qualms with it is that it has rear drums, did not come with abs, and sits like a monster truck on stilts.

Now since I got a wrecked Mark VIII with perfectly good suspension and nice cross/drilled slotted rotors....and a birdie that sits 8 feet off of the ground with rear drums....I was thinking about the ole switcheroo. Now is this even possible to easily switch everything over like springs/shocks(struts, whatever you wanna call them), brakes, lcas, rotors...everything? I was kinda concerned being I am not sure I could put rear disc/abs style on a non-disc/non-abs car. Does it even matter that the car has abs or is that something completely unlinked that wouldn't be a problem?

Anyone ever done a good ole switchin like this? What am I looking at here difficulty-wise?

(2)93 lx 5.0s BOTH sunrise red
Double the pinkiness!
President of the Tri-State ThunderBird and Cougar Club
www.TSTaCC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 10:36 AM
4th Gear Poster

I believe you're in business! They should interchange nicely. You may need to change the frt caliper brackets and calipers too, to match up with the rotors. Rear complete change over should be no problem.

BYE2YOU
growing old is inevitable
growing up is optional
94 SC
05 PT Cruiser GT Turbo Convert
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

Send a message via AIM to Bob Kinee Send a message via MSN to Bob Kinee Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Kinee Send a message via Skype™ to Bob Kinee
Even with the bird being non-abs and the mark being abs? I was kinda afraid that I would have to change the way the lines run into the rear assembly or run new lines. Thats the part which only really makes me a lil nervous. I thinkt he front should pretty much be unbolt/rebolt stuff.

Double the pinkiness!
www.TSTaCC.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:09 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
Is the mark done for good? if so why no just change over the whole IRS? would save you some weight too.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

That's what I said in my original post. Change lcas(lower control arms) and everything...however the whole braking system is what concerns me with one car being abs disc and the car it going onto being non-abs drum. The pumpkin is gonna stay regardless int he bird because I just got the 3:73s and traclok put into the pumpkin already in the bird, lol.

Double the pinkiness!
www.TSTaCC.com
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You can swap it to rear discs. Converting to ABS would be more work, but still not that hard. The only problem is that the non-ABS drum brake cars got a diagonal split system while the ABS disc brake cars got a front/rear split system. This means that the left rear line will have a junction block where it sends a line over to the right rear, but you already have a line coming off the master cylinder and going to the right rear, so you don't need that. If you take that junction block off and take it to an auto parts store, you should be able to buy a plug for that one hole, and once that is plugged you just hook everything up to your existing brake system, bleed it out, and you are good to go. This is how I did the conversion on my 91, which originally had drum brakes in the rear, and no ABS. Now it has disc brakes in the rear, and no ABS. If you wanted to swap the whole ABS system out of the mark into your bird, that would be a lot of work and probably not worth it, but just getting the 4-wheel disc setup is easy.

As for the springs and shocks, those would be a direct swap over.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
TSTaCC President

Thanks Mikey! You are a world of knowledge. I am thinking that the breakdown of the mark suspension will now start very very soon(my neighbors are gonna love the car on cinder blocks in the driveway now)...ugggh can't wait for the police, lol.

Double the pinkiness!
www.TSTaCC.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
No problem. Let me know if you need a hand with any of it. Or if you want to do the swap on a lift to make life easier for you, I have access to the shop on the weekends.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
Texas Chapter Director

Send a message via AIM to speed95 Send a message via Yahoo to speed95
If he swaps over the front rotors and calipers wont he have to use a 16" wheel?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:55 AM
5th Gear Poster

Did you do it, Bob?

The thing I was thinking about would be the rear LCA's. Since one car has air springs and the other coil springs, arent the upper and lower spring mounting points different?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in