Inner Tie Rod Ends - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Inner Tie Rod Ends

O.K., how does one go about replacing the inner tie rods on a '97 T-Bird? Is there any reason it can't be done while the rack is installed on the car? I've searched these forums and looked in my Haynes manual and I'm still not sure! I replaced my upper control arms last Saturday and am going to replace my lower control arms, tension strut bushings and tie rod ends this coming Saturday. I figured that I should also replace the inner tir rods at the same time, but am unsure if I can do it or how to go about doing it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Inner tie

Hello

Yes, You can change the inner tie rods while still on car.

There is a rivet locking the nut in place. You may just turn with a big wrench to brake the rivet. I drilled 1 & broke 1 (rivets).

Paul

Make sure you check out the boot. They rip easy.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:03 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
If the inners are wasted, I'd replace the rack, as it's probably pretty worn as well.

That's what I found when I was going to do mine, anyway. My play wasn't in the tie rods.

Changing the rack in a 4.6 is terrible, tho. If you're sure the rods are what has play, it might be easier to just change them out.

The next time I replace a rack on an MN12, the engine will be out, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I am only replacing the inner tie rods because I basically just want to rebuild my entire front-end - only because of the high mileage on the car, not because of any obviously worn parts! My T-Bird, which I bought about 4 months ago, has 147,000 miles on it. The front sway-bar end-links were COMPLETELY shot when I bought the car (TERRIBLE knocking & banging sounds when driving over bumps!), so I replaced both front sway-bar end-links, both front shocks/struts and both front coil springs (my driver's-side spring was broken). Other than that, my front suspension is now completely quiet and does not feel excessively loose.

However, due to the high mileage on the car and the fact I don't know how long any of those parts have been on the car (and, for my own peace of mind!), I want to replace ALL the rest of the front suspension parts (I'm going to do the rear suspension, too, after I do the front - I already replaced the rear shocks and rear sway-bar end-links) so I know everything is new. I replaced the upper control arms this past week and intend to do the LCA's, tension strut bushings (both at the arm and the frame) and tie rods (both inner & outer) this coming Saturday. I do not think the rack needs to be replaced - it steers fine and is not leaking.

I have never done either inner or outer tie rods on a car - the outers look very easy to do, but how hard are the inners? I see (by looking at pictures of new parts a napa.com) that inner tie rods come with a seperate nut and what looks like some type of rivet or pin. Does the nut go on the rack before you screw the inner tie rod on and does it act like a lock nut, like the outer tie rod has?

Dennis
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:46 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

if you buy a steering rack with the inners already on it youre getting the biggest bang for your buck. plus you get new bushings for the rack so dont forget about those. I paid 180 for new rack, inners and a set of rubber rack bushings.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
if you buy a steering rack with the inners already on it youre getting the biggest bang for your buck. plus you get new bushings for the rack so dont forget about those. I paid 180 for new rack, inners and a set of rubber rack bushings.
That's great! But, the only problem with that is that I do NOT want to go through the hassle of trying to change the steering rack on this car! I understand it's a REAL pain - at least, with the engine in the car!

Otherwise, I'd definitely do that!

Thanks,

Dennis
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2009, 01:12 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
That's great! But, the only problem with that is that I do NOT want to go through the hassle of trying to change the steering rack on this car! I understand it's a REAL pain - at least, with the engine in the car!

Otherwise, I'd definitely do that!

Thanks,

Dennis
the steering rack isnt easy but if you use the little tool I used on accident the job isnt so bad. here is the thread I totally recommend this small wrench tool.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ring+rack+tool

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in