dropped car need help asap. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to POS Racing Team
dropped car need help asap.

I lowered it 2 inches and i went to get an alignment and the guy said i needed special struts or the toe or camber.. he said the tires would still be bent in after the alignment.... Now i kinda blew my money on this and tried to figure out what i needed, and shocks were a good idea just not needed and the shortended sway bars links for the back which i did get.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust
-Jamex lowering springs 2 inches
-Shortened rear swear bar links
-Summit Underdrive pulleys

Slowly but surely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
That's a crock-o-

He's lazy and doesn't want to take the time to do it right and/or he's looking to sell you parts you don't need so that he can charge you extra $$ for the parts and $$$ for labor to put them on along with $$$$ for the alignment.

Take it to another/different shop. You don't need anything special to get an alignment after lowering the car. Don't even mention to the guy at the next shop that you lowered the car. Just tell him you want an alignment and leave it at that.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

are you posotive? thats the 3rd place to give me **** about it.. thinkin about gettin it done and just not saying anything when they go to align it.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:42 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Yea, I'm sure. Give it a min. Someone else should chime in and confirm what I'm telling you. I didn't have that problem with mine when I dropped it.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 PM
6th Gear Poster

I have done many, many alignments including more than half a dozen on my own car (new parts, experimenting with different set ups, etc,). That being said, that guy isn't worth his salt as an alignment man; take it elsewhere. These cars have plenty of adjustability and are a breeze to dial in.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I called 3 places, people say they cant get it on the rack.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS Racing Team View Post
I called 3 places, people say they cant get it on the rack.. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got the same crap down here, Found a place and he said if it fits the rack its a go, And she fit just fine

Mine you I broke out the yellow pages

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 03:58 PM
6th Gear Poster

At my old shop we had extra ramps for really low cars. We specialized in hot rods, race cars, etc. though. With a small section of 2 by 6 wood on the ground in front of the lift I had no problems (2 inch drop) with my car. The shops around you must suck. If you're going to 'chain' shops that is your first problem. Try some independents. I worked at a small 'mom and pop' and we had a surprisingly up to date big buck rack.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i called this mom and pop and he said he would try to put it up.. i cant beleive people are this ****ing lazy... OH i called a specialty place and he would do it but he charges 90 bucks an hour and he said a guys car was 500 dollars to align... MY ASS!!!! if i knew this was gunna be an issue i would have never lowered it.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to chris g
i dropped mine 2inches and i ran into the same problem with a couple shops. ended up going to sears tire and auto. my friend is a mechanic there all he had to do was use a couple pieces of wood and he drove the car up on the rack and lined it up no problem.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Veteran Poster

if there givin u alot of crap about it being dropped they jus don't wanna do it.

COLD AIR INTAKE, MN12 PERFORMANCE FRONT SUSPENSION KIT, SILVER PAINTED AVS WINDOW GUARDS, SILVER PAINTED DASH PANELS, 28% MIRROR TINTED WINDOWS, SUSPENSION TECHNIQUES 2'' DROP, TRUE BENDS CUSTOM 2.5'' TRUE DUAL EXHAUST. 2nd generation SC wheels.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 PM
6th Gear Poster

We charged $80/ alignment and $100 for specialty stuff barring major work to get it in spec. All this alignment talk is making me miss it a little, college is more fun though.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yea im gunna have to get some of my buddies to do it for me.. such crap on how they cant put a few pieces of wood infront of a ramp to get it up..

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris g View Post
if there givin u alot of crap about it being dropped they jus don't wanna do it.
yea i know.. thats what my friends are telling me..

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:09 PM
Veteran Poster

yea i know, good with it though.

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i hope i can find a place.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I got it done, friend in NTB.. got it done.. 4 tires and an alignment 20 bucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Niiiiiiiiiiice.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:57 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Good deal. Glad you got it worked out.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

thanks guys, you really helped me out with the information to get it done.. Ive actually never owned a car long enough to do this much to it.. i usually blow them up or something.. so my lack of front end and suspension knowledge is there, but im trying to improve. So what a guy at a proshop(which is the guy that told me i needed those struts) i would probably believe or look into atleast. so really you guys did help me a lot.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 06:48 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
One thing to consider before dogging out businesses is this: They are in the business to make as much money as possible with the least amount of work.

As a business owner would you rather work on someone’s car that they customized or a standard simple job.

The problem with custom cars is that often, they will be back blaming problems on the shop, when in reality the problem is caused by the customer not having a clue what he’s doing and screwing up his car.

I’ve seen it many, many times:
“I need this piece welded here”
“That won’t hold, the metal is too thin”
“Yeah it will, just go ahead and weld it; they do it all the time on the internet”
Sigh… “OK, but no guarantee”

One week later:
“You POS, don’t you know how to weld!!! Your weld broke!! I want this fixed now!!!”
Sigh…. “No, the weld held, the sheet metal you had me weld to tore out, just like I told you would happen”
“BS!!! YOU’RE A POS, I’ll never come back here and I’ll guarantee I’ll spread the word on the internet. You’ll never weld anything again!!!!”
Sigh…..

So don’t get too upset when shops don’t want to work on customized vehicles. Usually it isn’t worth their trouble. And they have to consider legal liabilities also. I guarantee that if they touch a customized car and then something breaks, who do you think will be blamed? The person who did the modification and changed the design of the vehicle, or the last shop that touched it?

But I’m glad you got it done for a great price!!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I sorta went through the same thing. I was up front about the car being lowered, but I also make sure they knew that it had a camber eccentric bolt/washer, and that the rear was also adjustable and that I wanted a 4 wheel alignment done.

I totally would have signed anything they might have wanted me to stating that it was a non stock vehicle with changes affecting specifically the work they do. But I talked to the tech and once he knew there was camber adjustment and such he said no problem.

It was a place I was referred to by a friend, he takes all the vehicles he deals with to the place (200/300 beat on 24 hours a day vehicles) so I did a little name dropping and that helped out. Even got a "fleet" discount since I took in my two Cougars and my Grand Marquis at the same time, made the 4 wheel alignment the same price as a front only. It was actually within specs as it was, even with lowering and replacing all wear items in the front ends, and reusing used parts off the 97 on the 89. They even let me specify what side of the specs I wanted it to be closest to, I don't think they would take internet this is the setup type number and set it to them.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-29-2009, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

yea it is understandable on why they dont want to do it in that fact. And as far as custom cars go, im not much of a looks or anything person, i usually try to build my motor before anyting just cuz i honestly dont care how my car looks aslong as its clean on the inside and not full of dirt on the outside. I do clean and wax my car often, but i dont do rims or tach's or any interior mods. The only tach i have is the tranny temp and you cant even see it. But i know what you guys mean by the interent customizing business, i did not argue with anyone at the shops, i wasnt going to argue with the owner of a performance shop if he said i need a caster kit or something, i immediatly(in the situation of suspension) asume hes right.. because my tires were bent in on the top and it did make sense. Was i gunna tell him to do it? hell no, i researched the lowering thing and made sure there wasnt any kits like that. I consulted the obvious, you guys, and i asked my mechanic and he said you should be ok. But all in all i got it done because my friends are awesome and damn was i determined to get one.

-1995 Thunder Bird
-4.6 V8 NPI
-Straight piped exhaust

Slowly but surely

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in