Replacement Struts for T Bird. What brand ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Replacement Struts for T Bird. What brand ?

I have Coil spring Conversion on my Lincoln and the front Struts are Garbage(too loose).
I am looking for replacement front struts but I want to upgrade to stiffer front Struts as I don't fill safe at speeds over 70 mph with those Struts.
Btw I have 03 Cobra Bilsteins in the Back and I love them.

So is there any replacement front struts (other than Koni or Supercoupe)) Which are little stiffer than stock Thunderbird Struts.

Thanks.

Black 98 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC [email protected] 128.16 mph
1998 Mark VIII collectors edition(SOLD)
2007 Mitsubishi Outlander V6(gas saver)
2006 Mercedes R500 4 Matic(family cruiser)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM
Voice/Data Guru

T-Bird has no Struts it looks like it but the shock goes thru the spring

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Last edited by Boston-Bull; 07-30-2009 at 06:16 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 06:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Nomenclature aside and beside the obvious konis and extinct bilsteins, some people seem to like tokicos. The shock 'going through the spring' has nothing to do with its classification of either a shock or strut. I'm not about to be anal about the actual name of the part to a guy that has an 11 second mark, haha

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Last edited by coolhandzep; 07-30-2009 at 06:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:53 PM
PostWhore

Garage
I am happy with the Tokico blues.

The Sport shocks seemed to be the choice for the front, but I don't think they are available any more.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Voice/Data Guru

x2 on the blues

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Monroe SensaTrac here. Definitely quite a bit noticeably stiffer than the stock setup, cheap enough, and easy as pie to put in. I've never had anything but those and the worn out originals though.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
i use kyb gr2's and i love them they are probably the stiffest ones atleast from what i've been told for birds. i love the stiffness i do mountain road runs and it hugs turns and on the quick straights it stays nice and stable.

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 11:25 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
i use kyb gr2's and i love them they are probably the stiffest ones atleast from what i've been told for birds. i love the stiffness i do mountain road runs and it hugs turns and on the quick straights it stays nice and stable.
Do you have any problem with front-end "float" over dips in the road on your T-Bird? I bought KYB GR-2's for mine back in April and I tried to install them. I couldn't do it myself due to the lower mounting bolt being seized to the bushing in the LCA. The shop I took it to get my front struts/shocks installed said my front driver's-side coil spring was broken, so I had them install the KYB's and Moog coil springs, but I haven't been happy since because my front-end bobs up and down just a bit more now than it did before I had that front-end work done. I'm hoping it's the Moog coil springs, especially since they're the same part number as for the 3.8 liter V-6 T-Birds (I have a 4.6 liter V-8). FYI - my car had the sport "JJJJ" springs.

I just got some Vogtland 3/4" drop coil springs today that I'm going to install this weekend - hope that helps!

I guess you're happy with those KYB's, huh?

Dennis
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 12:52 AM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
Do you have any problem with front-end "float" over dips in the road on your T-Bird? I bought KYB GR-2's for mine back in April and I tried to install them. I couldn't do it myself due to the lower mounting bolt being seized to the bushing in the LCA. The shop I took it to get my front struts/shocks installed said my front driver's-side coil spring was broken, so I had them install the KYB's and Moog coil springs, but I haven't been happy since because my front-end bobs up and down just a bit more now than it did before I had that front-end work done. I'm hoping it's the Moog coil springs, especially since they're the same part number as for the 3.8 liter V-6 T-Birds (I have a 4.6 liter V-8). FYI - my car had the sport "JJJJ" springs.

I just got some Vogtland 3/4" drop coil springs today that I'm going to install this weekend - hope that helps!

I guess you're happy with those KYB's, huh?

Dennis
yeah why would they put the 3.8 springs on i assume you get wheel hop through high speed turns as well? i would suggest getting eibachs 1.5 lowering progressive springs for handling if you drag get the inert believe vogland makes the intert lowering springs.

i also had the sport suspension and kybs and eibachs really keep the sporty feel with the stiffer ride. my uncle prefers konis cause they are more "plush feeling"

but no i have no ride issues what so ever.

i <3 my kybs

2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:00 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8_superbirdy View Post
yeah why would they put the 3.8 springs on i assume you get wheel hop through high speed turns as well? i would suggest getting eibachs 1.5 lowering progressive springs for handling if you drag get the inert believe vogland makes the intert lowering springs.

i also had the sport suspension and kybs and eibachs really keep the sporty feel with the stiffer ride. my uncle prefers konis cause they are more "plush feeling"

but no i have no ride issues what so ever.

i <3 my kybs
They put the same springs on my car as for a 3.8 liter V-6 because Moog only makes ONE replacement coil spring for the T-Bird, and it's listed as fitting BOTH the 3.8 liter V-6 and the 4.6 liter V-8. It's the same for ALL replacement springs I've seen for T-Birds, with the exception of lowering or high-performance springs.

Dennis
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2009, 01:21 AM
Clueless Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
They put the same springs on my car as for a 3.8 liter V-6 because Moog only makes ONE replacement coil spring for the T-Bird, and it's listed as fitting BOTH the 3.8 liter V-6 and the 4.6 liter V-8. It's the same for ALL replacement springs I've seen for T-Birds, with the exception of lowering or high-performance springs.

Dennis
yeah, you can get a set of eibachs for a decent price i paid i think 100 bucks shipped for my set from a forum member here. and i have to say never regret it they maybe used but they sure as hell handle better then the sport springs.

i'm sure someone has a set of em for sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in