Squeaking when I turn now.... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Squeaking when I turn now....

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of a loud sqeuaking/squeeling when the wheel is turned.

It's coming out of my right side which has the loose wheel bearing, and due to a bad series of circumstance I managed to spin my car out the other day......I didn't hit anything, just slid around a couple of times avoiding curbs.

It seems like its coming from the bottom of the lower control arm(I think, it's holding the wheel on, connected to the UCA) right where it turns.

could greasing it fix it? is it even greaseable?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Veteran Poster

Ball joint.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

lower?? upper has been replaced not too long ago.

It's actually a creaking, like a super loud creaky door.

I was feeling it while my girlfriend cut the wheel, seemed like the creaking/vibration was coming from the lower end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:08 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to SignofTheCat94 Send a message via Yahoo to SignofTheCat94
Probably lower ball joint or maybe the strut rod bushing. I noticed mine would occasionally squeak when I turned the wheels stopped or at low speeds. The upper control arms are new (haven't got around to the lowers yet) and the squeak went away when I tightened the frame side nuts on the control arms. I really need to get them replaced, but it did stop the squeaking.

Mods? Do the ones in the garage waiting to go on the car count?

Many thanks to my fellow Veterans; I am honored to be a part of your ranks.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

does it make that sound when you stop rapidly also? i had that same issue last month and it was my lower ball joint. You can try lubricating it and see if that fixes it, if not then it will have to be replaced.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:42 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Just do what I did and replace your ENTIRE front-end! That way, you'll no longer have any strange noises and no more bad parts to worry about!

Of course, my wife and my father both think I'm being ultra-anal - and, they're right!! But, I at least have no more worries because I didn't know how old my suspension pieces were AND I have a car that feels totally transformed from what it was like when I bought it! It is now SUCH a pleasure to drive!

I'd also say that your lower ball-joint is bad and needs to be replaced.

Dennis
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:46 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of a loud sqeuaking/squeeling when the wheel is turned.

It's coming out of my right side which has the loose wheel bearing, and due to a bad series of circumstance I managed to spin my car out the other day......I didn't hit anything, just slid around a couple of times avoiding curbs.

It seems like its coming from the bottom of the lower control arm(I think, it's holding the wheel on, connected to the UCA) right where it turns.

could greasing it fix it? is it even greaseable?
If your ball-joints have grease fittings on them, then you can grease them. If not, you can't. However, if the boots are torn in any way, greasing won't help - the grease will just come out and dirt/contaminents have already gotten in there, making replacement of the ball-joint a necessity.

Dennis
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I don't want to sound mean, blunt, or pushy, but I've indirectly experienced lower ball joint failure and know how rotten the experience is and prefer that you don't find out. If your suspension is creaking like I think it is, you need to address it. Now. Lower ball joint failure will more than likely total your car at speed and possibly seriously injure you and even others. The right lower ball joint failed on my mom's 93 over a bump in a particularly bumpy road because too much time was spent fixing other things and greasing up worn parts. Luckily she was only going 15 MPH. Had it happened on the freeway... (we were literally heading for the interstate to start an 8 hour drive; I was in the car ahead of her)

Sorry if I sound paranoid or ecstatic, it's just whenever I think about lower ball joint failure, I visualize what happened then and think about the "what ifs".

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 08-13-2009 at 10:12 PM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-13-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
does it make that sound when you stop rapidly also? i had that same issue last month and it was my lower ball joint. You can try lubricating it and see if that fixes it, if not then it will have to be replaced.
no not stopping, though i'm having other issues with that. This is only happening when I turn, and is now constant, and very embarrassing if you ask me.

I have a bad wheel bearing and I'm already spending $133 to fix that, which is basically breaking me.

I won't be able to replace this lower control arm until next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I don't want to sound mean, blunt, or pushy, but I've indirectly experienced lower ball joint failure and know how rotten the experience is and prefer that you don't find out. If your suspension is creaking like I think it is, you need to address it. Now. Lower ball joint failure will more than likely total your car at speed and possibly seriously injure you and even others. The right lower ball joint failed on my mom's 93 over a bump in a particularly bumpy road because too much time was spent fixing other things and greasing up worn parts. Luckily she was only going 15 MPH. Had it happened on the freeway... (we were literally heading for the interstate to start an 8 hour drive; I was in the car ahead of her)

Sorry if I sound paranoid or ecstatic, it's just whenever I think about lower ball joint failure, I visualize what happened then and think about the "what ifs".
dude, trust me, I hear you, I don't like this stuff and I want it fixed, if I had the cash I would be replacing the entire front end, as it is for now I can really only handle one problem at a time, and it takes time to fix.

I've been very careful with the car with this stuff going on.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 AM
Veteran Poster

If you cant fix it soon I wouldnt drive the car. Get a set of wheel bearings and lower control arms and call it a day.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

ya but it's another $120 or so for the lower control arms.......there is no way I can get that money right now.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 10:07 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
ya but it's another $120 or so for the lower control arms.......there is no way I can get that money right now.
Thats a lot cheaper than a new car when the ball joint fails and you total it doing 70!!! Seriously though, dont put yourself in danger like that, find a ride from someone until you can get er fixed up.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 02:30 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyB View Post
Seriously though, dont put yourself in danger like that, find a ride from someone until you can get er fixed up.
I completely agree; at this point you are endangering people other than yourself and passengers. Get a ride until you get it fixed.

I'd hate to hear "TCCoA poster kills family of 11 thru poor maintenance" , you know?

You will have no control of the car if it fails. Depending on severity, the brakes will go at the same time. Emergency brakes with no steering is the best case you can plan for.

On the good side, the broken stob of the control arm dragging on the ground will slow you down; on the bad side, it will spin you around to that side.

Hope you like roller coasters, cause you goin' for a ride...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I completely agree; at this point you are endangering people other than yourself and passengers. Get a ride until you get it fixed.

I'd hate to hear "TCCoA poster kills family of 11 thru poor maintenance" , you know?

You will have no control of the car if it fails. Depending on severity, the brakes will go at the same time. Emergency brakes with no steering is the best case you can plan for.

On the good side, the broken stob of the control arm dragging on the ground will slow you down; on the bad side, it will spin you around to that side.

Hope you like roller coasters, cause you goin' for a ride...
X2!!!

If you can't get it fixed A.S.A.P., park it until you can fix it! If a ball-joint breaks at speed, you're going to be seriously regretting the results - IF you're around to!

Don't play around with your car, your life or anyone else's life!

Dennis
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-14-2009, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

I think my dad is going to spring for the LCA, it seems decently priced on American sites, and we both agree that if the wheel/hub is already going to be off.

There is no way I'd be able to get a ride with anyone, seriously, and where I work I would literally be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I'm in the process of trying to find the best price on a good quality LCA right now.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:42 PM
1st Gear Poster

I realize that replacing the LCA is the optimal solution, but if money is tight is there any reason to not just replace the ball joint?
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:46 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1232 View Post
I realize that replacing the LCA is the optimal solution, but if money is tight is there any reason to not just replace the ball joint?
Yes, because replacing just the ball-joint is harder and just as much (if not more!) money as replacing the entire control arm!

I bought brand-new TRW-made LCA's from Advance Auto for $56.00 each.

Dennis
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I dropped a ball joint a few years ago and it was not pleasant. I agree with everyone above you need to replace it NOW.

Go rob a liquor store for the money JK
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
Yes, because replacing just the ball-joint is harder and just as much (if not more!) money as replacing the entire control arm!

I bought brand-new TRW-made LCA's from Advance Auto for $56.00 each.

Dennis
I didn't have any problem replacing just the ball joint using a borrowed press from Autozone. I think I only paid $ 25 or so for the ball joint with lifetime warranty. Anyway it was just a suggestion to save the guy some money, I know there have been times when I didn't have the money to spend.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I'm 99% certain it's you lower ball joint. I had the same exact thing. Like a really loud creaky door that would tend to be most noticeable when I was parking at my old job, which was probably the most expensive country club in the state, so all the members has bmw's and mercedes and so on, and they'd just look at my car. When you turn the wheel real slowly, does it kinda go "pop... pop... pop" and then the faster you turn it goes from "pop... pop..." to "popopopop" to "creeeeeeaaakk"? My mechanic tried shooting some grease in them (just through the boot), I think it made it worse, so I had the replaced and have never heard it again. And ALL I got replaced was the ball joint so it couldn't have been anything else. I would probably get the whole LCA done though if I were to do it again, that's what people keep telling me.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-21-2009, 10:13 AM
2nd Gear Poster

I agree with the other posters it sounds like a ball joint to me get it seen to asap, you could try packing it out with a grease gun, that's what I did but it didn't improve so looks like a new ball joint for me too...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in