lca replacement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 95cougarxr7
lca replacement

so heres the deal, i've read a couple of threads on here about changing the lwr control arm/ balljoint, but what i'm wondering is that on the drivers side lca it accepts a new press in ball joint and my passenger side doesnt seem to. the to lca look nothing alike where the ball joint is in them. i'm just wondering if theres a replacement that will accept a balljoint without changing the lca. i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel.

seeking new motor...... 94/95 4.6 is agrivating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 05:07 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cougarxr7 View Post
so heres the deal, i've read a couple of threads on here about changing the lwr control arm/ balljoint, but what i'm wondering is that on the drivers side lca it accepts a new press in ball joint and my passenger side doesnt seem to. the to lca look nothing alike where the ball joint is in them. i'm just wondering if theres a replacement that will accept a balljoint without changing the lca. i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel.
Both LCA's are identical except for the fact that one's for the right-side and one's for the left-side. In my opinion, it simply is not worth the hassle to replace just the ball-joint; it's much easier to just replace the entire arm. I bought new LCA's for my '97 T-Bird a couple of months ago at Advance Auto Parts for about $56 each.

How much did you pay for your ball-joint?

Dennis
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2009, 10:00 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
i changed just the balljoint on the drivers side last year in my drive way using a jack, hammer, and a chisel
I'm impressed. I changed the actual ball joint ONCE in a '93 I had. After a few hours of fighting with it I took it to a friends machine shop and it took 5 tons to press the new one in. Since then, I've just put whole new LCAs on. You get the added bonus of new bushings all the way down it, too.

||Under a black flag we sail.||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 06:16 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Send a message via MSN to 95cougarxr7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
Both LCA's are identical except for the fact that one's for the right-side and one's for the left-side. In my opinion, it simply is not worth the hassle to replace just the ball-joint; it's much easier to just replace the entire arm. I bought new LCA's for my '97 T-Bird a couple of months ago at Advance Auto Parts for about $56 each.

How much did you pay for your ball-joint?

Dennis
well they're not identical otherwise i wouldnt hav posted nething and just continued beating on it, or took it to work and pressed it out. i priced a balljoint at $70 i think i dont remember exactly. but i am replacing the lca now.

seeking new motor...... 94/95 4.6 is agrivating
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2009, 02:26 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95cougarxr7 View Post
well they're not identical otherwise i wouldnt hav posted nething and just continued beating on it, or took it to work and pressed it out. i priced a balljoint at $70 i think i dont remember exactly. but i am replacing the lca now.
Well, your LCA's must've been from 2 diffrent maufacturers then - the two I bought for my Thunderbird were both made by TRW and they were identical in EVERY WAY except, as I said, 1 being for the left side and 1 being for the right. Hope you get it replaced without difficulty!

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in