More Fun With Tension-Struts!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
More Fun With Tension-Struts!!

O.K., if you need to replace the bushings on your front suspension tension-struts, listen to everyone on here and buy ONLY the FORD ones!! I bought a kit from NAPA for the frame-side of the tension-strut that had 2 bushings, 2 washers and one metal sleeve for BOTH the driver's and passenger-sides; I did that because I'm currently laid-off and don't have a ton of money to spend on parts for my T-Bird. I thought they were working-out O.K., but I had to take apart my front suspension last week to reinstall a coil spring I installed upside down and I found that the metal sleeves in the NAPA kit were all smashed and distorted on each end due to their length being too long! The nuts were smashing them as they had been tightened and were obviously preventing the proper tension from being applied to the rubber bushings. I cut some material off of each sleeve with a hacksaw to shorten them and then reinstalled them, but I'm going to get the Ford ones in the next week or two and change them out.

In this picture, you can see the metal sleeve on the right end of the strut is slightly distorted, but that's after I cut some off and straightened them as much as I could with a big heavy hammer!

Buy Ford!!!

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:44 PM

you seem to be having an extremely bad run of luck lately man. I hope things start working out for you soon.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnny View Post
you seem to be having an extremely bad run of luck lately man. I hope things start working out for you soon.
Everything is O.K. with my front suspension now, with the exception of the tension-strut bushings - I need the actual Ford ones. Listen to what everyone on here says - the aftermarket ones are JUNK!!

I may be able to get some next week. Can't wait to take it all apart AGAIN to install them!

The only time I really notice any problem is on the highway at 65-75 m.ph. Around town, the car rides so unbelievable tight and smooth (compared to when I bought it 5 months ago) I can't believe it! I am SO happy I spent the money on the front-end parts and went through the trouble to put everything on the car - too bad I've had to go through that trouble 3 times (counting when I put the Ford strut-rod bushings on)!

Dennis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in