drag struts and shocks - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
55f350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: springfield il
Posts: 219
drag struts and shocks

kinda running into a problem here i hope one of you can help me with . as i have stated the future of my bird is that of bracket racing locally after my 53 is back up . well this place is full of good info on everything for building power , but im at a loss trying to find struts , shocks , or even springs for racing . i know you all said the mn12 and the sn95 stang share no suspension parts , except for the cobra irs , but i have resorted to even trying to find specs and or cross references for them and the birds to find something suitable . any ideas here ?????? my head is begginning to spin here from looking ay so many pdf's .......................
55f350 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-16-2009, 11:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
VicRattlehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: RT66 Raceway Channahon IL
Posts: 6,213
im running a custom set of QA1 coil overs in front, and just H&R Sport springs and my original sport shocks with 150k on them in the rear. i pull 1.61 short times with no wheel hop. this setup works good.

CMP Drag Racing
best ET: 12.410 -- best MPH: 107.61
NMRA MM7270 -- NMCA EFI/? ????
Thank you to the CMP Drag Racing team: Tony, Doug, Maryann, Dale, Paul and Chris.

VicRattlehead is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
55f350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: springfield il
Posts: 219
welp i found i think after looking at some specs a set of rear shocks from lakewood that fit 79-94 stangs and many 70,80's era cars that i can use , but will no further when i find the specs i have for the oe ones , somewhere !!!!! i'll call qua1 or email 'em and see what they got to offer , but i hate to say it i'm not paying a whole lot , i'll improvise first . had a n-v- of another make years ago and i swapped over to a set of 6 cylinder coil springs and a worn but not junk set of 6 cylinder shocks in front and new oe's out back and kinda accomplished the same thing in another way . may have to do that again . back to work and thanx .
55f350 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
PostSlut
 
_95badbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spring Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55f350 View Post
welp i found i think after looking at some specs a set of rear shocks from lakewood that fit 79-94 stangs and many 70,80's era cars that i can use , but will no further when i find the specs i have for the oe ones , somewhere !!!!! i'll call qua1 or email 'em and see what they got to offer , but i hate to say it i'm not paying a whole lot , i'll improvise first . had a n-v- of another make years ago and i swapped over to a set of 6 cylinder coil springs and a worn but not junk set of 6 cylinder shocks in front and new oe's out back and kinda accomplished the same thing in another way . may have to do that again . back to work and thanx .
tell ya right now QA1 will tell you nothing.
What Vic is talking about up above were 1 off pieces made for our cars from an indivdual. They were available in a group buy several years ago.

I myself run these same shocks up front, and in the rear, I run stock springs with 2 coils cut off each. the rear shocks I use are old car quest shocks.

My best 60's are 1.88's....but thats because I don't make any power.


Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
_95badbird is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Veteran Poster
 
MikeyB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Michigan
Age: 31
Posts: 746
Wow thats the first time Ive seen those coilovers, Im jealous.

95 Cougar XR-7
Sold it...

96 Thunderbird LX
Sold it...
MikeyB is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
55f350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: springfield il
Posts: 219
yep figured that out about qa1 . contacted 'em and got the " we dont currently carry any parts for your car " reply . kinda expected that . yep wish i had 'em too , but i tend to be a skinflint so ............. they did give me a name and number for a guy at a ford dealer called downs to contact though as i geuss he knows something or has access to something helpful we shall see . thanx for the tip on cutting off 2 coils . . improvise it i will . that was the name of the game before we had all these ready to go bolt on's and it still applies today . amazing that there just doesnt seem to be any real aftermarket support for these cars . i always did want the wierder stuff though , didnt like being pigeon holed with the pony car guys . my truck is the closest thing i have ever had to being a popular platform . last two serious attempts at going fast was a 85 delta 88 more door with a 455 swapped in and my missed and beloved 70 bird fastback with a 429 cobra jet in place of the oe 429 , what a tank that was .......... welp guy's i'll keep digging and if i can find anything of help or useful i'll put it up for all to see . i will find something eventually ..................
55f350 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 07:24 AM
PostSlut
 
_95badbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spring Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55f350 View Post
yep figured that out about qa1 . contacted 'em and got the " we dont currently carry any parts for your car " reply . kinda expected that . yep wish i had 'em too , but i tend to be a skinflint so ............. they did give me a name and number for a guy at a ford dealer called downs to contact though as i geuss he knows something or has access to something helpful we shall see . thanx for the tip on cutting off 2 coils . . improvise it i will . that was the name of the game before we had all these ready to go bolt on's and it still applies today . amazing that there just doesnt seem to be any real aftermarket support for these cars . i always did want the wierder stuff though , didnt like being pigeon holed with the pony car guys . my truck is the closest thing i have ever had to being a popular platform . last two serious attempts at going fast was a 85 delta 88 more door with a 455 swapped in and my missed and beloved 70 bird fastback with a 429 cobra jet in place of the oe 429 , what a tank that was .......... welp guy's i'll keep digging and if i can find anything of help or useful i'll put it up for all to see . i will find something eventually ..................
now the reason I cut the 2 coils off the rear spings was, I didn't want to screw up a good set of eibachs I had, and stock springs are easy to come by, and there are lots of em, and third, since I have dropped so much weight, I had to cut to coils.....it might be different for a closer to stock weight.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
_95badbird is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
55f350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: springfield il
Posts: 219
nope on the weight , i've always removed what i could anyway without affecting operation , and after seeing your thread on what your doing ...... well like i said theres gonna be another ford in pieces in my garage sometime !!!!!!!!!!!
55f350 is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 AM
PostSlut
 
_95badbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spring Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55f350 View Post
nope on the weight , i've always removed what i could anyway without affecting operation , and after seeing your thread on what your doing ...... well like i said theres gonna be another ford in pieces in my garage sometime !!!!!!!!!!!
cool, good to hear!

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
_95badbird is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2009, 10:56 AM
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
Moderator
 
Johnny Langton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,232
Unless you're planning on sub 1.5 60's,there's no reason to mess with the suspension on these cars. I run OEM sport springs,and out of the box bilstein shocks. It works well,and hooks well.
JL

1997 Thunderbird-4.6L/[email protected]
'05 F250 Crewcab 2WD-6.8L V10/5R110/4.10
2010 Lincoln MKT-3.5L EcoBoost V6/[email protected] stock
Fuelly
Johnny Langton is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 AM
2nd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cottonwood,AZ/Jaffrey,NH
Posts: 74
I also want to upgrade to some sort of drag strut, no chance of getting anymore of thr QA1 stuff? My 95 takes off like a pig no travel at all 2.2 best 60ft. street tires thow. Im used to lifting the wheels off the ground and banging gears at6,000rpm in my 87 gt which is half the fun of the race. The bird is like a sunday drive down the track, i think i need to convert to a stick . That way i dont get bored going down the track.
Deadman is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2009, 08:18 AM
PostSlut
 
_95badbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Spring Texas
Age: 39
Posts: 13,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
I also want to upgrade to some sort of drag strut, no chance of getting anymore of thr QA1 stuff? My 95 takes off like a pig no travel at all 2.2 best 60ft. street tires thow. Im used to lifting the wheels off the ground and banging gears at6,000rpm in my 87 gt which is half the fun of the race. The bird is like a sunday drive down the track, i think i need to convert to a stick . That way i dont get bored going down the track.
You can try and contact/find the original guy that did these....

here is his info that I had at the time pf purchase.

D & D Race Technologies
Denny & Dawn Barwald
www.dndracetech.com
Denny Cell:320-310-2218
Dawn Cell:320-310-2221
Office:320-629-4769
Fax:775-244-5586

15990 Rice Road
Brook Park, MN 55007

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
_95badbird is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome