Lowering options - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Lowering options

Ok after checking the threads this seems to be a common thing to go through, a complete front suspension rebuild on a mn12.
Followed by a common thought "might as well do any suspension mods im wanting to do while im at it".

Anyhow on to my question. Im wanting to make my cougar a street/auto-x car ( I know a couple of people on here auto-x with mn12's).
Right now my top three spring options are H&R, Eibach Pro, and Vogtland and Im searching for opinions or other brands. Im looking for a set that puts performance over comfort, Ive got the pontiac for DD use and drove a 944 as a DD for a couple of years so a harsh ride wont bother me at all.
Thanks all

'94 Cougar 5-speed Aka:Tigger
"Ambitious but rubbish"

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...00000030693825
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Vogtland is the best

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Cut sports. /thread

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:18 AM
5th Gear Poster

while this is up i want to lower my car, however just bought monroe "quick srtuts" is what they call them, there coil over, BUT i want to confirm that i CAN NOT use the stock ride height shocks (the monroes) with lowered
springs..?? another words just takes the springs that came on the monroes off and put the lowering springs on..

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:29 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post
while this is up i want to lower my car, however just bought monroe "quick srtuts" is what they call them, there coil over, BUT i want to confirm that i CAN NOT use the stock ride height shocks (the monroes) with lowered
springs..?? another words just takes the springs that came on the monroes off and put the lowering springs on..
Why not? Stock suspensions were meant to take a lot of abuse. Especially the rears which were meant to withstand the weight of 3 passengers in the back and a trunk full of people. If you have ever seen this you know how much lower the car sits. Stock replacement struts are built just the same so if you are worried about safety concerns or whatever, dont be.

The ride quality wont change much with 1.5" drop. Any lower than 2" and you start to have issues.

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 03:54 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_LX View Post
Why not? Stock suspensions were meant to take a lot of abuse. Especially the rears which were meant to withstand the weight of 3 passengers in the back and a trunk full of people.
Where does the luggage go ?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 08:23 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post

you MAY be correct. i am not familair with the exact monroes that you bought.

i absolutely had a problem with monroes that were only intended for stock ride heights. i had a dangerous bounce at high speed. i had to redo the fronts with shocks that were properly valved for lowered ride heights.

you definately need to research the shocks you have. besides searching here, i think monroe has an 800 customer service line. you might try that.

i ended up using OE Tbird Sport front shocks based on advice from this forum. And they do work much better on my lowered car than monroes ever did. It appears that these shocks are valved much differently than monroes.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk3846 View Post
Where does the luggage go ?
I was referring to the dead hookers.

lmao! or it was just really late and my mind thought one thing but wrote another haha, good snag :P

- 4.8.15.16.23.42 -

"You never even hear it when it happens, do you?"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-24-2009, 12:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_LX View Post
Why not? Stock suspensions were meant to take a lot of abuse. Especially the rears which were meant to withstand the weight of 3 passengers in the back and a trunk full of people. If you have ever seen this you know how much lower the car sits. Stock replacement struts are built just the same so if you are worried about safety concerns or whatever, dont be.

The ride quality wont change much with 1.5" drop. Any lower than 2" and you start to have issues.
im sorry, but that is not completely correct. the OEM shocks are meant to be set at OEM ride height as they are valving specific. OEM shocks WILL wear out quicker, as its not a matter of if, but when.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 01:47 AM
5th Gear Poster

hmmm ya, there seems to some differing opinions, iv gotten both good and bad through searching, I'll have to look into the shocks I bought.. they are brand new too, should have considered this b4. OHWELL. thanks for the help guys

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in