Lower ball joint question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Lower ball joint question

My 90 cougar needs the lower ball joints replaced and I was wondering, do I need to have a shop press to change them out or can I replace them without one?

I look forward to your answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
PostWhore

You could get them pressed out, but it may be easier and cheaper to just replace the lower control arms. They are ~60/piece, and you also get new bushings.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Where are they at for 60 each?

I dont recall seeing them on the Napa site, but I could have missed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 04:26 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Your best bet is to buy the entire lower control arm assembly, because that way you get a new balljoint and new LCA to frame bushing. I am sitting on a pair right now, just waiting for the weekend to change them out. I purchased mine at Rockauto.com, and I just looked them up, and your '90 Cougar uses the same Moog part number as my '96 Bird. Moog part #'s:
K80055 for right-hand side, $60.79 each
K80053 for left-hand side, $63.79 each

Pricing and part numbers found @ www.rockauto.com

Since you're going to be under there anyways, you might take a peek at all the other stuff under there (upper control arm bushings/ball joints, tie rods and all the other assorted bushings and endlinks in that area) to see what kind of shape they're in. I can tell you, if you can replace worn-out things all at one time, it'll be easier than having to take it apart multiple times to get to various bushings and whatnot.

EDIT: tbirdguy posted a link with better pricing than Rockauto in post #7 below.....

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?" www.despair.com

Last edited by skorchmp; 10-21-2009 at 11:32 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Seconded on looking at the whole picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorchmp View Post
Your best bet is to buy the entire lower control arm assembly, because that way you get a new balljoint and new LCA to frame bushing. I am sitting on a pair right now, just waiting for the weekend to change them out. I purchased mine at Rockauto.com, and I just looked them up, and your '90 Cougar uses the same Moog part number as my '96 Bird. Moog part #'s:
K80055 for right-hand side, $60.79 each
K80053 for left-hand side, $63.79 each

Pricing and part numbers found @ www.rockauto.com

Since you're going to be under there anyways, you might take a peek at all the other stuff under there (upper control arm bushings/ball joints, tie rods and all the other assorted bushings and endlinks in that area) to see what kind of shape they're in. I can tell you, if you can replace worn-out things all at one, it'll be easier than having to take it apart multiple times to get to various bushings and whatnot.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Well so far I have replaced both hub assemblies, and the drivers side control arm link.

Doing the repairs as I can afford to put the cash out to the car.

I know it needs a new tire on the drivers side, cause its burning the outside tread off and I think thats because the ball joint is shot.

And it seems like just about everything on the front of this car is going out at the same exact time.

Somedays it makes me wanna say, if I wanted a vehicle to keep fixing up I would have kept driving a chevy.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
PostWhore

Wow, here is a TRW one for $48, buy both and its free ship~That is almost cheaper than just the ball joint!

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...e=2071&PTSet=A

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

A 19 year old car is requiring maintenance? I got a ton of miles and years out of all the suspension pieces on my 89 Cougar. I upgraded it for better brakes and put the used suspension pieces off my 97 on it, and got new pieces for the 97. 170,000 miles and 14 years for all the ball joints, bushings, etc isn't too bad if you ask me.

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartman View Post
And it seems like just about everything on the front of this car is going out at the same exact time.

Somedays it makes me wanna say, if I wanted a vehicle to keep fixing up I would have kept driving a chevy.
Like Bangster said, at almost 20 years old the parts on the car don't owe you a dime and cars costing 4X what the bird did would need replacements at that point.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 PM
PostWhore

You can also 'rent' a ball joint press from Auto Zone. You pay up front, and when you return it they return the full cost, in turn costing nothing to use it. Pressing them out is simple if you have the right tool.

Also, check out Rockauto for the ball joints. MUCH cheaper prices than the stores.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
Wow, here is a TRW one for $48, buy both and its free ship~That is almost cheaper than just the ball joint!

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductD...e=2071&PTSet=A

Shoot, that TRW one is the same one that Moog sells. The ones I got from Moog from Rockauto have TRW stamped on them, look exactly like the one in the picture. $48 is a heckuva deal. Wish I'd seen that before I got mine! Oops.....

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?" www.despair.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in