Cut SC springs? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Stocker
Cut SC springs?

Anyone cut some SC springs to lower their MN12? If so can you post some pics? Trying to figure out how much I want to cut out for the height I want. Preferably SC springs on a base/LX as that is my setup and the rear SC springs actually picked up the rear of the 'Bird.

1991 LX Thunderchicken
4 wheels/tires, A motor/ transmission, few seats and gauges
Yep, she's got it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 PM
PostWhore

I have a 1992 Sport, it has the 5.0 V8, Auto, and came with the SC springs being it's a "Sport".

I posted a thread (here is a link to the thread) after my experiencs cutting springs while installing new shocks and UCAs on it last year.

Maybe it'll help?

I first started with 1/2 coil cut on the bottom of the front, then later cut another 1/2 coil for a total of 1 coil cut from the bottom of the front coils, and I cut 5/8 coil from the bottom of the rear coils. With 225/60-16 Goodyear Eagle RSA tires, on a level parking lot, after some mileage, it measured right at 27-5/8 inches from ground to lip of fender at top center each corner. By simple luck, I got it level.

Since then, I have measured it again, still between 27-5/8 and 27-1/2 inch at each fender top. No perceptable drop. Springs are holding up OK.

I have purchased another set of Sport Springs for my '95 to duplicate this, just haven't done it yet. Like you, hard to find a chart on how much to cut, took some experimenting. I would advise against cutting any shorter though, ground comes up to meet parts easy enough going in and out of 7-11.

Sport springs and SC springs are the same.

1 full coil off front springs, 5/8 coil off back springs.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Exactly what I'm looking for: measurements, coils cut and a pic. Thanks. I'll be running 245/45R17s, almost an inch smaller than the 225/60R16s you're running. Wonder how that'll look......

No wonder I didn't see your post when searching, I was using "cut sc springs".

1991 LX Thunderchicken
Yep, she's got it all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2009, 10:41 PM
PostWhore

Well, I had the same problem when doing my research, plenty of guys who cut a lot on cars with altered weights, just not much specific to my car so I took "steps".

Not sure how much weight differs on front of our cars, the motor should be the only real difference yours being the 3.8 V6. I know the temptation is to cut more, but I'ld suggest sneeking up on it. At most, I'ld start with 1-1/4 coil in front and the same 5/8 coil in back. All my cuts were on bottom of the spring.

I was careful to locate the last 5" of the cut end in the outer part of the lower spring bucket in the rear as the angle better matched the spring when the car is at rest.

If you cut too much, there's no going back though I guess you could throw in a spring rubber but that makes them stiffer, and these cars hate uneven ground and driveway exits bad enough as they are.

I used all the stock spring isolators too.

Yes, your 245/45-17 are about 25.68 in. dia.,
my 225/60-16 are about 26.62 in. dia., ....
.... but those 205/65-15s that were on my car as seen in the first picture are 25.49 in. dia. .... when new with good tread, which those were probably 1/4" short of.

Your 245/45-17s are only about 1/2" shorter in radius than mine, or yours new are near mine worn completely slick.

Plus .... yours are wider, so they'll look more filling.

Anyway, for my '95 I have a set to do "same same" with, no more.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Good info. Hopefully if the weather cooperates and I have time next weekend I'll give it a shot.

1991 LX Thunderchicken
Yep, she's got it all

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in