something blew... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

something blew...

whether or not this is the right place to jack the rear end up i did it here, and when i

did when a certain amount of pressure was on it, it made a loud pop noise,

obviously blowing out. thing is i have no idea what it is or is called, what it does,

and how to replace it, also if i should be driving on it.... thanks for the help

here are the pics... this is not the side that blew but it was the side i had the light on so ..

where my finger is pointing is what blew... some kind of rubber mount or something
[IMG]suspension 2[/IMG]

suspension

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 PM
4th Gear Poster

That would be the sub frame bushing.You need a good repair manual for the torque specs and guidance.Also see HERE for a good view of the sub frame assembly and how it mounts to the car.

All stock 1990 Merc Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2009, 11:42 PM
PostWhore

What does the side that "blew" look like?

I ask because there isn't anything to "blow".

It's not an inflated doughnut, it's a solid rubber doughnut or bushing (isolator).

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:07 AM
6th Gear Poster

I hope you plan on getting tires/rear suspension checked out/aligned. That tire is burned up from either super negative camber, or most likely very negative toe.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

well something def blew. it was quite a loud pop sound from the top of the bushing. i will try and get pics. thanks for the links on it.

as far as the tire well ya it needs to be aligned. im actaully converting over to snow tires on dif rims and then getting new tires on those rims so i was burning them up haha.... thought id have some fun before i pitched them

so i read the article from ben2go. thanks ben. anyways i have to drop the whole subframe to replace the bushings...? sounds like a lot but if i must.. also like i said ill get pics up just to make sure. when i jacked it up it made a pop noise like it blew but if they are solid i dont know how that could be and maybe it was even something else... any ideas as what could make a pop blowing out noise when jacking it up from under the front irs bushing??

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....

Last edited by danalba; 11-07-2009 at 10:15 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:24 AM
6th Gear Poster

Maybe the car just shifted a little, jack slid, etc. to produce the 'blowing' noise. Get a prybar and check for any play between the body and the subframe near the bushing. I'm with CrystalPistol, there's nothing to 'blow'.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 12:30 PM
PostWhore

It's not totally unusual to hear minor "pops" and "groans" when jacking a car or truck at only one point from level. Even a new car will make some noise occasionally, even on a lift lifting at 4 points. You learn from experience, which noises can be ignored, which can't.

I suspect, as coolhandzep said, some minor shifting, maybe a slightly rusty bolt "popped" when the bore sleeve through the rubber doughnut moved as the rubber compressed slightly by your jacking under the doughnut on that bracket that helps tie the front of the subframe into the unibody.

Look at the head of the bolt under that bracket, the bolt head that's obscured in the photos. Is it still seated against the reinforcement tie bracket surface? Maybe put a wrench on it and just give it a bit of a pull, not enough to loosen it, just enough to make sure it's still tight, not broken.

While looking at the bolt, look at the floor reinforcement too, see if it looks normal like in your photo.

Hopefully wasn't a weakened rusty floor pan attachment point giving away.

Once a friend had a new '71 GTO, we were often thrashing the cars, and this "Goat" had a propensity to wheel hop. As you know, the Chevelles, GTOs, 442s, etc had a seperate frame.

Well, one day we had a flat. Left rear. Car had a bumper jack, still new spare. WE got stuff out, he set jack, started jacking. Rear bumper and car body went up, frame with exhaust didn't. Noticed tips on left not going up with valance and bumper. Looked, and it was missing two frame to body boltrs on the left rear side, the rear one and the one up at the fender well.

Got a bottle jack in K-Mart (we were in their parking lot changing the tire) and used it and changed the tire after letting car down, then went to his uncle's home and removed same bolts from an old '64 F-85 Station Wagon and put them in until he could get it to the dealer the next week. Put the bolts back in the SW then.

Cured the wheel hop though.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 11-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:18 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
You sure the jack wasnt partially on the bolt and just slipped off slamming into the bracket?

-Matt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

ya i understand what you guys are saying. thanks for the help. i appreciate it. here are the pics of the side i thought made the noise just for the heck of it. they do need to be replaced but atleast it doesnt have to be like RIGHT NOW so.

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

drivers side irs front bushing 2

PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandzep View Post
I hope you plan on getting tires/rear suspension checked out/aligned. That tire is burned up from either super negative camber, or most likely very negative toe.
Mine is almost as bad as the O.P.'s, but my car goes around curves/corners like nobody's business............

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post
well something def blew. it was quite a loud pop sound from the top of the bushing. i will try and get pics. thanks for the links on it.

as far as the tire well ya it needs to be aligned. im actaully converting over to snow tires on dif rims and then getting new tires on those rims so i was burning them up haha.... thought id have some fun before i pitched them

so i read the article from ben2go. thanks ben. anyways i have to drop the whole subframe to replace the bushings...? sounds like a lot but if i must.. also like i said ill get pics up just to make sure. when i jacked it up it made a pop noise like it blew but if they are solid i dont know how that could be and maybe it was even something else... any ideas as what could make a pop blowing out noise when jacking it up from under the front irs bushing??
You're welcome for the article post.Looking at your bushing pics,they do need to be changed and could have allowed a little movement causing a pop.

All stock 1990 Merc Blue Max Cougar 3.8L with Automatic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in