check your alignment - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

check your alignment

i just came back from firestone, they aligned just the toe in the front on my black 90 5spd sc cuz i just recently changed out the rack and tie rods.

call me crazy but i truely believe my car is faster

i did a little test run using an on ramp on the interstate that im very familiar with, i use that same spot everytime to see how fast a car is, anyway, i managed to pull 2 more mph than i ever did with the car previously, which is saying alot because its always consistant.

but most importantly, i used to have a high speed vibe that is now gone. I'm not sure if it was due to my front end being out of aligned, wheels, or the fact that my p/s pump was locked up but that vibration is now completely gone

im so happy, i was just about to throw $400 on a custom driveshaft just to see if that helped with the vibe. So now my pockets a lil fatta and my car is driving much better and safer.

O&E Speed Shop - 2333 Aberdeen St. Kenner, LA
EFI Calibrator - decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
http://www.efidynotuning.com/tune.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 07:15 PM

tires off alignment will cause vibrations. When I had to replace my UCA/LCA it was causing my camber to be ever so slightly off due to the loose joints, it was off by such a tiny amount that I was the only one who could see it. But when driving it was very loud, like the tires on a big muddin' truck would sound.

I replaced my control arms, and set the camber back to the exact spot (marked it) the steering felt a little looser (in a good way) and more responsive, and the annoying vibration was gone.

I still need to come up with the money to get it professionally aligned though.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-18-2009, 09:21 PM
6th Gear Poster

Wheel alignment alone will NOT cause a vibration. A vibration that was cured after a part was replaced followed by an alignment was not fixed by the alignment.

I used to laugh when customers would come in and tell me to align their car. I would try to ask them why they wanted an alignment, but was often met with 'I just need an alignment.' From there, I would say ok and just do what I was told. I tried to help, but was met by know it all customers. If their tires looked like hell, I would tell them that is something they should replace soon. After these customers picked up their cars and left they would often return about 20 minutes later. Their response... 'You didn't align my car right, it still shakes at 60."

This is when these customers were educated on what an alignment can accomplish. Usually new tires, or a balancing was done and the customers would then leave without any problems. All they had to do was explain their problem from the get-go.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Last edited by coolhandzep; 11-18-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
PostWhore

I have had 3 cars that a highway vibration was cured by getting an alignment done(98 Altima, 96 Tacoma, 90 Beretta). NO other parts were put into the car. JUST the alignment cured the vibration. Everyone has opinions on this, and it's usually "an alignment wont fix vibrations".

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in