TCCoA Forums banner

lowering car need help...

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 ·
im in the process of lowering my car. however i cant get the top nut of the rear shock off. it just rotates the whole bolt its threaded too. how can i get this thing off

#2 ·
You should have removed the nuts for the shocks while the vehicle was still on the ground .. put a load under it with a jack or use a wrench to hold the middle post while you unscrew the nut .. once it gets loose, it should come off easily by hand.

#3 ·
Does it have a hex shape at the top of the threads? I cant remember really, but I thought I was able to put a wrench on that hex part of the shaft to hold it from turning, and also one on the bolt to loosen it.

#5 ·
haha well i am replacing them.... i did end up getting it off and everything is put back together not. but the last thing i have to do is get the rear shocks top nut back on. its a lock bolt with plastic at the end, i cant thread it through enough to get ahold of the shaft. thanks for the help, sctbird i think has it in the bag though, only way ill be able to tighten the thing is under load.... i hope, so the shaft wont spin

#6 ·
still wont tighten under load.... center shaft just spins... this one is not heck (bilstein) its just threads, i cant even get to the threads though, cant screw bolt on far enough....

#7 ·
Wrap a thick piece of leather around the threads below the bolt, and clamp vicegrips over it.

It will grip well enough to tighten the bolt down to where you can get a wrench on the tip.

Don't overtighten the vicegrips! If they cut thru the leather, it doesn't work very well at protecting the threads, lol.

Seems like the top hex is 5/16 or 8mm.

#9 ·
thats what i did. i tightened them the best i can. they only require 27 pounds torque so i did my best. even under the weight of the car the center shaft spins..

#11 ·
yes your right the nylon idea=not good. but i didnt think of my old nut... i shall try this... thanks for the obvious advice haha :thumbsup:

#13 ·
haha well i think your on your own path there. not sure what your talking about with the whole spring compressor..and im not a power tool guru (didnt think they had torque setting) but they are torque specific one. two not sure i could even get an impact gun in the space. three that still doesnt solve my problem with the shaft that the nut threads onto spinning... but i appreciate the effort. i ended up using my old nuts.. ha.. and getting them on there as tight as i could..

#14 · (Edited)
Oh your doing the rear, it's easy man...see I did shocks AND springs so I needed the compressors...if your just doing the shock, then put the new one in and use a closed spanner wrench on the large shock nut and a socket on the top of the actual shock to hold it in place. I basically did my KONI's with a 3/4" spanner and a socket wrench on the top holding the shock. The koni's called for around 60 ft lbs of torque, all in all just tighten the nut down until you can almost not turn the wrench anymore and you should be good. Here is a picture of how I tightened mine.

Just remember your camber will be off when it gets lowered, and if you adjust it like I did myself, your toe will be screwed up and must also be adjusted. Get it professionally aligned in the end, but temporarily you can do it yourself using a tape measure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.