Questions About Camber - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Questions About Camber

I am getting ready to mount my newly bought tires, and have noticed a significant tread-ware descrepency between the front drivers side and the front passenger side. The tread on the drivers side is nice and evenly worn throughout the tread surface. However, the passenger side is smooth along the outer most edge, and practically brand new on the inner tread. This leads me to beleive that there is a camber issue (aka: less camber-a degree less than 90*) Would anyone reccomend tackling the issue at home, or would you take it to a shop? If so, what is the desired degree of camber for our cars? Thanks

United States Navy - Honorable Discharge

Nashville Predators - ENOUGH SAID!

See what we've been up to:
http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 01:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Take it to the shop .. it is probably more than a little Camber causing tire wear - Toe and Caster need to be in spec as well.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation

Best to check your UCA's prior to installing brand new Tires.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Kind of slapped together

I have had the misfortune of knowing one of the best alignment men ever, from back in the early 70's (he's retired now, alas).

After seeing him work, and knowing how most people do things - if you can find a good alignment shop, PAY THEM.

Follow Pournelle's Law.

"If you don't know what you're doing, find someone who does, and pay them what they're worth."

After all, bad alignment can do more than cost you tires and gas.

RwP
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Buck, why check the UCAs? More pointedly, what am I looking for? Also, like you said RalphP, it is better safe than sorry. I'll take it to our trustred shop here in town. They regularly adjust dirt and asphalt cars so I trust them. Upon further inspection, the outside tread of the tire (aprox. 2.5" from the outer tread in) is absolutely smooth. Does anyone know the range of what our mn12 camber should be so I can request this at the shop, or will they know this off hand? Sorry for all the questions, but I am relatively new to this aspect.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Check all the suspension bushings, seals, covers, etc.

If anything looks loose, cracked or worn, replace it before you spend money on an alignment.

I started with these settings, and went from there. Giving the guy feedback is also good; most Good suspension guys will let you try it out and see if you like it.

http://www.tccoa.com/articles/suspen...ent/index.html

There's a lot of good info in the articles.

A good suspension guy is hard to find; I don't know what I'll do when Walter retires...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Thanks Grog6. I appreciate that. I've gotta get this done by April. There is no way I am taking it down the gap like this! Nice find on the article by the way. I don't know how I missed that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in