Rear Control Arm Bushings? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Rear Control Arm Bushings?

So I removed the rear upper and lower control arms on my 96' Tbird. I took all 4 arms to a mechanic to press in replacement bushings, but he was unable to tell me how much he would charge - besides a $300 ballpark quote not on paper. Right away, he stated that the upper arm bushings were fine and did not need replacement. He did not comment on the lower arm bushings.

The bushings appear to be in OK condition with just a little bit of cracking rubber evident on one bushing per side - both the rearward bushings. The bushings have very limited deflection apparent. I was going to have them replaced because I have it all apart, but if I can get by a while more I might hold off.

What would you recommend that I do? Have them replaced, or return the bushings and save $150+ (bushings 50, labor to press in and out is the ???) I am also hoping to one day get the delrin bushings so might be best to wait I suppose.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod

Last edited by 96_LX; 01-08-2010 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Addt'l thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 04:36 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

If you're going to get one of my Delrin Kits at some point, why waste the money now if you don't have to?

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 11:09 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_LX View Post
So I removed the rear upper and lower control arms on my 96' Tbird. I took all 4 arms to a mechanic to press in replacement bushings, but he was unable to tell me how much he would charge - besides a $300 ballpark quote not on paper. Right away, he stated that the upper arm bushings were fine and did not need replacement. He did not comment on the lower arm bushings.

The bushings appear to be in OK condition with just a little bit of cracking rubber evident on one bushing per side - both the rearward bushings. The bushings have very limited deflection apparent. I was going to have them replaced because I have it all apart, but if I can get by a while more I might hold off.

What would you recommend that I do? Have them replaced, or return the bushings and save $150+ (bushings 50, labor to press in and out is the ???)
Replacing mine made a huge difference, it just depends on how bad yours are.

I believe some of the bushings are liquid filled; I know the toe adjusters are. Mine were empty when removed.

They're 14 years old, you have them off the car; you can buy a decent press for ~$200.

I wouldn't pay more than that to have them replaced. You'd be amazed what you can break with a press...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Case removal?

Hello

What was the best way to remove the metal cases?
on the lower rear control arms.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdtess View Post
Hello

What was the best way to remove the metal cases?
on the lower rear control arms.

It's really a pain in the a**!

Remove the center part of the bushing by drilling the rubber, then use a saw to split the metal shell, after that you can just tap it out.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
It's really a pain in the a**!

Remove the center part of the bushing by drilling the rubber, then use a saw to split the metal shell, after that you can just tap it out.
Thats what I had in mind. Was looking for another way.
They would not press out.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:22 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I can't speak for the rears, but when I replace front control arm bushings with bushings that have the metal shell, I beat a dent into the shell with an air hammer, then the airhammer will almost always push it right out. Hammer and chisel will work too, but maybe not as quick!
-Rob

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 02:01 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

FWIW, I don't remember super clearly, but I changed all those bushing on mine. What I remember doing is a big C clamp to push some of them out and using a press on others; it was an easier job than I thought it was gonna be!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in