PS leak questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

PS leak questions

I was just about to leave from a club meeting on the other side of town this past Saturday when I hear a burbling/gurgling sound from under the hood. I jumped out after about a second to find that the power steering had this huge leak and all the fluid was on the ground. I was able to drive the car home and parked on the street. The next day I moved it to the driveway with a little effort. Before moving, I filled the PS reservoir to the full mark, cranked the engine and let it idle a little bit. The funny thing was, though, the fluid didn't start noticeably leaking until after I put the car in park in the driveway after a series of hard turns necessary to back in the driveway. I took a look a couple of hours ago and found a hose had blown off. I'm not exactly sure which hose it is, but it appears to lead to the PS cooler and from what I can tell from the manual it is a return line. The hose has a clamp requiring pliers to open, and the fitting to which it clamps seems to move a bit. I was leaving the meeting around 10 or 10:30 PM and the temperature I'm guessing was somewhere around 20 degrees F. I also had a new set of tires put on that morning and I noticed no sound or steering difficulty when I drove home from the tire store nor when I drove to the meeting, about 30 miles from home. What could cause this hose to blow off then and not when I had driven before. And is the hose fitting damaged being loose?

I will try to get a picture up in a bit. Thanks for your help.

Being a genius doesn't necessarily mean you're smart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Here is the hose in question and the fitting to which it attaches. How I get it back on is anyone's guess.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 04:32 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

haha funny you should post this just yesterday i noticed a steady leak what appears to be a small hose from about the same place you have here. forgot what its called but i went to autozone and they had it listed for only like $7. but keep your power steering fluid up, dont want to burn the pump out.

but i have no idea why it would blow off like that.

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I've got to figure a way to get that hose clamped down first and then I'll worry about keeping the level up. The reservoir drains completely in less than a minute after fluid starts coming out. More like less than thirty seconds once it starts, but the funny thing was yesterday nothing came out until I had backed the car into the driveway. My father figures the system deadheaded on a cold night and blew out at the weakest connection. Picked up a good screw hose clamp and will try that to see if the hose will hold. The rack has a leak in one of the end seals so I initially thought the fluid was leaking from there. I'll give it a go tomorrow, as I have to cut the wheel hard to park in the garage so it's parked outside for now.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

WTF?!? I just went to the post office earlier today and noticed on the way I could hear the p/s pump. Thinking to myself that is a bit weird, I've never heard it before from this car! I saw a friend out front and started talking to him leaning up against his car when he says, "Hey, something is leaking under your car, dude!" I look over to see a steady small drip...

Upon inspection, it's p/s fluid. Very odd you all start posting p/s leak problems and mine just started leaking pretty profusely!!!

*****Twilight Zone Music*****
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:26 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to beamerboy46350
do do doo doo do do doo doo lol at least thats the three!!

92 Cougar LS 5.0: Air Silencer delete, Flowmaster Cat-back System, Big 3,Cold Air Intake,

77 BMW 530i(no longer running will come spring)
02 Caravan SE(DD 4 kids)
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider82 View Post
I've got to figure a way to get that hose clamped down first and then I'll worry about keeping the level up.
lol well yeah do that first.

but yeah i think my its the low pressure hose that does that funny loop to connect it to two skinny metal pipes that busted in mine? seems pretty straight forward to fix

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:42 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

High side

Hello

Well I have a leak in the high side hose.

But I push the power steering hard! Must of cracked the hose.

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
First off get some new return line. It should just be 3/8" hose I believe, get a new hose clamp too. You will probably have to unscrew the fitting that is right next to the missing hose to get access to the other one. Be forewarned that the fitting that you would have to unscrew has a Teflon O ring on it that you would have replace when you put it back together. I've only been able to get them from Ford. They are $2-3 each and have a specific method to install the O ring.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I had my dad pick up a new hose clamp last night. I've just managed to fit the old hose back on the fitting without having to remove the adjacent fitting. Took me about an hour to get that hose back on. I think all these PS problems I seem to have brought up started last week coming back from Lancaster, PA. My sister had her next clinical rotation up there, do not ask me why. On the morning of the last day the family traveled, Dad could not get the steering to move without having to lay on the wheel. We stopped at Bristol, VA for the last night on the road and the weather got cold. Much too cold for Alabama people. The steering had been a bit harder on the way up and back but on the last day it was practically gone. He removed the reservoir cap to find the PS fluid had the consistency of Jello. We don't know wen the last time the PS fluid was flushed, we think it never was. There was a Shell station next to the motel so he didn't have to run too far in the snow and wind. After a while on the interstate, the pump went quiet with no problems from then on.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Something else. I ran the PS fluid top-off procedure yesterday and the pump took a lot of fluid with no visible leaks. It now turns as easily as I ever remember, maybe more so. But I noticed a shudder in the steering wheel while I was running the top-off procedure, even after the system would not take any more fluid. I'm thinking that this could be some air trapped in the system. The garage has a smooth concrete floor and the tires are properly inflated. The engine was hot while I added fluid.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in