Front Suspension Squeak? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Front Suspension Squeak?

My wife crashed our T-Bird several years ago. She was hit in very front ahead of the passenger wheelwell while crossing a street. The impact was around 10 - 15 mph from the other car and pretty much perpendicular to the car. Well a squeak developed 6 mths ago and has gotten to epic ghetto sounding proportions. Think big door hinge with no oil. The steering effort has also greatly increased. Greased every joint and was about to take it to a suspension place when I experienced the dreaded intake manifold coolant leak (see above in 4.6 engine section). Weighing these two things against each other to decide whether I fix both or sell the car.

I can't see anything wrong while inspecting but don't know what to look for with the wheel off. 110,000+ miles. Suggestions - Comments?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Too bad were soo far away i could use another 4.6L birdie Your hub assembly rotates on two points upper and lower ball joints. I would check them out first I broke one on my thunder bird a couple months after i first got it. whaa that sucked its a bad day popped the tire. ruined the fender and liner. soo in my opinion i would start there unfourtinatly if memory serves the upper and lower ball joints on our cars are non grease-able

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:26 PM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
Does it squeak while the suspension moves up an down (over bumps, etc)? Also, what condition is the car in? If it's a nice car, find a replacement PI intake or the revised intake with the aluminum crossover. It's not a hard job to replace.

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have an NPI intake with the aluminum crossover in fantastic shape, all boxed up, ready to send out, let me know, make me an offer.

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

sounds like the uper control are bushings are bad
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
These cars love to eat lower ball joints and sway bar endlinks (and to a lesser extent the upper ball joints)...

Jack up the car and grab the spindle at the top and try to push it in and out. Watch for any movement at the upper ball joint.

Then wedge a 2x4 or something you can pry up on under the wheel and have some try to lift the wheel (don't try too hard though) as you watch the lower ball joint for movement. If either ball joint moves around that most likely means it's shot.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 01-22-2010 at 10:18 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
These cars love to eat lower ball joints and sway bar endlinks (and to a lesser extent the upper ball joints)...
I totally agree; A loud screech is the lower balljoint about to give, IMHO.

I wouldn't drive it until I fix it; there is nothing good that can make that noise there!

The swaybar endlinks rattle at every pebble on the road; more of a nuisance than anything.

The lower ball joint is another matter; if it gives, you are going for a ride, completely without steering, no less!

Since you will need an alignment after replacing the arms, I would do the top arm as well as the strut rod bushings.

Checking the tie rod ends is also a good idea. When the inners went on my red car, the rack was toast, and those come with the rack. Unless you have the hands of a three year old, you want to pay someone to replace the rack if it ever goes bad, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in