Front Struts/Springs and Brakes - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Front Struts/Springs and Brakes

So I went in to get my tires aligned because my steering was shaking like crazy and pulling to the right.

Turns out I have a broken spring and they want to change the front two spring, struts, and they also reminded me that I need to change my brake pads and rotors.
They are asking me over 1000 bucks for it, not including 4 new tires and alignment.

The problem is that my work just cut my hours by half, and I haven't been able to get a new job so im tight in money.

I can change the rotors and brake pads myself. But I might also want to try the struts and springs, are they hard to do? anyone have any experiences doing this?

Also, I been shopping around, and so far the cheapest parts place is autozone... Napa used to be my go to place but their prices are much higher then autozone lately. Anyone know any cheaper place?

Thanks for any help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Yep shocks & springs will be a job, Best to have it up on a rack to do this work. Mr Robert P done my excellent work back in the summer

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I hope that shop also offered personal lubricant for that price.

Take a look at rockauto.com for parts. They're not always the lowest, but more often than not I find myself ordering from them. Consider quality over cost if you're going to have the car for any decent amount of time.

The cheapie coil spring compressors will not work with these. Been there, tried that. If you have another vehicle you can use, your best bet is to take the old strut assembly and the new parts to a shop and have them change out the parts. I found a local shop that did this for about $40.

This may be an opportunity to upgrade with lowering springs and shocks for all four wheels. You said money was tight, but that can be a relative term. Shox.com has a pretty decent package with Eibach springs and Tokico shocks that runs around 400 shipped. If you do that you may as well get a couple of new strut mounts (the top pad of the assembly) for 60 more. If you can somehow rustle up the top washer that goes between the strut mount and top nut, you can drive your T-bird to the shop that can assemble this.

Whatever you do, you should be able to do all except compress the coil springs, but for 40-50 bucks it's well worth farming that out.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
Turns out I have a broken spring and they want to change the front two spring, struts, and they also reminded me that I need to change my brake pads and rotors.
Broken spring : See if someone will sell you one cheap on the parts wanted forum.

OR, Stock V8 springs should be easily available at any junkyard.

I bought a set of sport springs from a member here; well worth it.

Replacement front shocks : ~$42 ea Motorcraft

Replacement rear shocks : ~$28 ea Motorcraft

Pads front and rear: ~$50

Rotors : $40 ea for the last set I bought. I wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless they're grooved.

~$200, plus the cost of the spring,and a day's worth of work.

Look in the Misc. forum for the RockAuto discount code.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:05 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Broken spring : See if someone will sell you one cheap on the parts wanted forum.

OR, Stock V8 springs should be easily available at any junkyard.

I bought a set of sport springs from a member here; well worth it.

Replacement front shocks : ~$42 ea Motorcraft

Replacement rear shocks : ~$28 ea Motorcraft

Pads front and rear: ~$50

Rotors : $40 ea for the last set I bought. I wouldn't replace the rear rotors unless they're grooved.

~$200, plus the cost of the spring,and a day's worth of work.

Look in the Misc. forum for the RockAuto discount code.
Also, look into quick struts on rockauto, you don;t have to mess with spring compressors. Shock and spring is already assembled, you just install it.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks guys, yeah I was wondering about the strut/spring having to compress them. How about the rotors?

I was looking at KVRperformance.com are the cross drilled rotors really worth it? specially if in the next couple months when I have this all paid for ill do the PBR front caliper upgrade
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
3rd Gear Poster

in my opinion the cross drilled dont do much but make more noise when you try to stop. expecially if you plan on upgrading again in the next few months just my .02 cents

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Clueless Poster

Send a message via AIM to v8_superbirdy Send a message via Yahoo to v8_superbirdy
you can do new springs and shocks it'll take a day to do just the fronts and you'll need a spring compressor i got one from pepboys for 50 bucks its a real pita with 1 person but if you have someone help you it aint to bad. rotors are going to be pretty pricey thats just the nature of the beast. pads are cheap

my other ride is an ambulance!
1997 V8 sport - first car - sold 6/7/10
2006 silver mustang gt premiumcustom made grill, frpp shorty headers, pypes cat back exhaust, hurst billet pro shifter,
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I think i will go with the MONROE Part # 171845R and Part # 171845L quick struts from rockauto, cheaper then the ones from autozone and seem like they are better. what do you guys think?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Great choice. That's what I used when I was in your situation, easy to install (once you get the bolt (the nut was easy) that mounts the assembly to the LCA out... that bolt was EVIL!). As was said, no need for spring compressors.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Now if Tokico did one for those of us with the Automatic Ride Control, we'd be In Like Flynn.

I've already made plans on who to take the assembly to, in order to get the springs swapped from the old to the new.

Now if I could just figure out how to do the rear LCA without compressing the spring ...

RwP
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 10:19 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to beamerboy46350
I'd definitly recommend doing it yourself. Autozone rents a tool for free to change it. It's almost impossible to do it by yourself. I usually rent 2 without a helper. It might take longer but its safer.

92 Cougar LS 5.0: Air Silencer delete, Flowmaster Cat-back System, Big 3,Cold Air Intake,

77 BMW 530i(no longer running will come spring)
02 Caravan SE(DD 4 kids)
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Great choice. That's what I used when I was in your situation, easy to install (once you get the bolt (the nut was easy) that mounts the assembly to the LCA out... that bolt was EVIL!). As was said, no need for spring compressors.

Yes sir that bolt was pure hell. When i did my lca's i ended up cutting it off both sides, and then when i went to work the next day they actualy had 2 in stock. and i was shocked only 2 bucks a piece. saved me Tons !! of time trying to force them out. ( Torches were out of gas)

My Lug Nuts Require More Torque Than Your Honda Makes
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:29 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird64 View Post
Yes sir that bolt was pure hell. When i did my lca's i ended up cutting it off both sides, and then when i went to work the next day they actualy had 2 in stock. and i was shocked only 2 bucks a piece. saved me Tons !! of time trying to force them out. ( Torches were out of gas)
Torch wouldn't help either if your car was on salty roads. Cutting is probably the best choice, if not you should have air tools /air hammer to do this job.

Last edited by tbirdguy; 04-07-2012 at 11:32 AM.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

I have a decent set of springs off of a 93 V8 you can have for shipping. Probably ~$30 for all 4.

Damon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornell View Post
So I went in to get my tires aligned because my steering was shaking like crazy and pulling to the right.

They are asking me over 1000 bucks for it, not including 4 new tires and alignment.

The problem is that my work just cut my hours by half, and I haven't been able to get a new job so im tight in money.

I can change the rotors and brake pads myself. But I might also want to try the struts and springs, are they hard to do? anyone have any experiences doing this?

Also, I been shopping around, and so far the cheapest parts place is autozone... Napa used to be my go to place but their prices are much higher then autozone lately. Anyone know any cheaper place?

Thanks for any help in advance.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks anyways but I already ordered the quick struts from Rockauto.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in