Sway bar combos: Opinions wanted - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Sway bar combos: Opinions wanted

It's time to replace my sway bar bushings, so I am considering replacing the sway bars with addco bars.

What are people running and how do they like them?

Anyone with the Addco 1 1/4" package? Who do I order Addco from?

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Voice/Data Guru

I have it and she works great , You can order direct from them. http://www.addco.net/

Photobucket

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 06:51 PM
6th Gear Poster

so is the 1 3/8" sway bar really too big?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Yes. 1-3/8" is serious overkill. It is also to big to be compatiable with the stock front bar.

The largest size that is compatiable with the stock front bar is the 1-1/4". Given that the front is such a PITA to change I highly recommend just getting the 1-1/4" for the back and calling it a day.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 07:37 PM
6th Gear Poster

i was thinking about taking the front to a shop to have it done. im too lazy to do it myself.

how about 1-1/4 rear and 1-3/8 front? still overkill?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
That would work but yes, still overkill IMO.

It all depends on why you're doing it. Do you intend to autocross or do you just want bragging rights to the biggest bar?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:50 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I have both 1.25 f and r addco. The rear made an improvement and I had poly bushings on the stock front bar at the same time. THe body roll was dramatically reduced.

I later added the front bar which is a lot of work but wtf why not do it if you have never seen it dun before. I learned a lot about my car doing it but that not for everyone.

The front you need to drop the K and suspend the engine which alone is a hassle.

THe addco plates and bushing aren't always perfectly made either so watch out for that.

I will say the combo of the 1.25 f/r is enough to really wake up the handling those 1 3/8ths have to be rough riding.

I would get equal sized bars so if you plan on not changing the front get a 1 1/8ths addco bar for the rear I think I would have liked that better than the bigger rear bar with the wimpy stock front bar.

But the best street combo I think is the 1.25 front and rear, its really at the limit of comfort. I ride on 16" sc wheels so peeps with a lower profile tire have it rougher.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
Splattered, thanks!

I will be pulling the engine in the next couple of months- thought about doing the front sway then since the bushings are toast. 1.25 all around seems the way to go. With engine out, do I still need to drop the k-member? Also, with short endlinks in the rear, should the e-brake cables go under or over the sway bar?

PJ

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Yea do not by the 1 3/8 to much stress on the car

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'™s ported manifolds
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
Veteran Poster

So, what if you plan to run the car on a road/race track?

1997 Laser Red Thunderbird LX V8, grey cloth, third cat replaced with X-pipe, SLP Loudmouth 1's, 2.25" duals, (loud as all hell)
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ-4.2L View Post
Splattered, thanks!

I will be pulling the engine in the next couple of months- thought about doing the front sway then since the bushings are toast. 1.25 all around seems the way to go. With engine out, do I still need to drop the k-member? Also, with short endlinks in the rear, should the e-brake cables go under or over the sway bar?

PJ
With no engine its easy you dont have to drop the K. Just cork screw it out from one side. I did it on an SC with no motor.

I wouldn't know about running the e brake differently just run the same as stock because I know someone with a lowered SC with short links and an addco bar in the back and he didnt mention touching the ebrake.

His user is solow but he hasn't posted in a while

1.25 f/r is really a fun combo one of my favorite things I have done.

People running the 1 3/8ths can lift a tire off the ground on a steep driveway so yeah big time stress. Btw I have f/r shock tower braces SC backseat L braces and the lower engine cradle brace. I wouldn't go with the big bars without some bracing.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 01:17 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

I have F&R 1 3/8" bars on my SC and have for several years now. I recently installed F&R 1 1/4" bars on my LSC. Both are lowered, and in both cases, the parking brake cable continues to go under the rear bar.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-19-2010, 03:02 PM
Heavily Medicated Crime Fighter

Send a message via AIM to Mark M. TCCoA VP Send a message via Yahoo to Mark M. TCCoA VP
I would not change my prototype 1 3/8" F/R bars for the world and the ride is not all that bad. If you have a lot of potholes where you live then go with the 1 1/4" F/R bars. I know a little something about these bars so you can take my advice to the bank

Mark

"Mark M. TCCoA VP. Emeritus"

To the Batmobile ! ! !

ADDCO MN12 big bar R&D guru
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 01:00 AM
6th Gear Poster

thanx for the help everyone. i think im gunna take the popular opinion and get the 1-1/4" bars. i think that it will combo up nicely with a set of koni's. the potholes that we have in northeast ohio can be killer and im not trying to go too crazy with the suspension. just trying to make it a little more crisp. i hate how it rides on the highway right now. i have some minor subframe bracing right now and im planning on getting the front strut tower brace this spring. does anyone make one for the rear? if not i will have to build one. it looks to be pretty simple in the rear.

thanx for the help everyone. i appreciate the input.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:07 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Thread is a few months old but here they be

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ar+tower+brace

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 06:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Here's my .02: A lot depends on "where" you're going to do the majority of your driving.

If you are in an area with lots of pot holes, speed bumps, bad roads, etc, I would not recommend the 1 3/8. If you are going to see sweeping turns on on-ramps, back roads, etc. I think the 1 3/8” are perfect.

I had 1 3/8 F&R on my T'Bird with Eibachs and absolutely loved them (However, I DID NOT love the poly bushings on all four corners!!). I now have the 1 3/8 on the rear of my LSC, but haven't put a lot of miles on it but so far I like it. I will soon be putting the front 1 3/8 on, just haven’t gotten around to it yet.

I do recommend that if you go with the 1 3/8 F&R, some type of frame bracing should be considered because as mentioned before, it is possible to lift a wheel on driveways. (And that isn’t a good thing if you don’t have posi…. )

But remember, the sway bars are just along for the ride until the suspension changes. And “how” the suspension changes determines how the bar diameters affect the car; did the suspension change due to a pot hole/bump or due to weight transfer… or both.

Anyway, just my .02 and I like my 1 3/8”.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 10:53 AM
6th Gear Poster

yeah we get some pretty bad roads up here in ohio. so i think im gunna stick with the 1-1/4 for now.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Heavier springs > bigger sway bars

-Matt
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 05:13 PM
6th Gear Poster

does anyone make beefed up end links for our cars? for a while i saw that summit racing had some moog's but i dont see them on there anymore. and i think they only had rears. just curious

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in