Benefit of Aluminum LCA's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Benefit of Aluminum LCA's

I believe my rear LCA bushings are shot, as my rear suspension seems to have major deflection under torque. Unfortunately for my wallet, I read about the new Delrin bushings being made for the rear suspension on my car, and I am sold on them. They sound like exactly what I have been looking for.

I know you have to pay to play when it comes to mods, and cars in general. My problem, is that I am an all-out kind of guy; I do everything I can "while I am there" - and so not only do I plan to get the delrin LCA's, I am wondering if I should go a step further and get the aluminum mark VIII LCA's as opposed to stock thunderbird control arms.

My question is, how could saving 6lbs per control arm effect the rear suspension, other than lowering overall vehicle weight by such a miniscule amount? Would it effect launches at all? Overall, is there actually any real-world benefit to having a lighter lower rear control arm, to justify additional cost ($125)?

Thanks for any feedback.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 04:43 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

its unsprung weight which makes more of a difference than sprung weight. Its like putting on lighter wheels or brakes instead of just losing some weight in the trunk. It should help handling technically. Its more like 9 lbs per side. I think its part of a good overall package if you add the aluminum pumpkin and aluminum driveshaft. If you add those 3 mods together you lose a good bit of weight of the a$$ of the car without any compromises.

Someone mentioned that you multiply unsprung by 3 times and its the same as sprung weight.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-20-2010, 05:44 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Splattered covered it well, except for the weight. The difference is just a bit over 7 lbs. per side (~6 lbs. if you use my light-weight UHMW spring perches, and less than 4 lbs. per side if you use aluminum perches).

However, the price difference is more like $275 when you add in the spring perches that you'll need. I sell a bolt-on package which includes the Mark VIII LCA's with the Delrin Bushings installed, the required Mark VIII Torx bolts (make SURE that you get these), and short UHMW spring perches HERE.

However, to do it right, particularily if you're looking for an improvement in launch times, you also need to change the knuckle bushings to Delrin. You can either buy the Delrin Bushing kit and install it in your knuckles HERE, or buy rebuilt knuckles with the Delrin Bushings installed HERE.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints

Last edited by DLF; 02-20-2010 at 08:49 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in