possible front suspension upgrade - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

possible front suspension upgrade

on most FWD cars,there are 2 metal arms that go from the shock towers to the front radiator support,well I was bored and went to the junk yard and took 2 of those arms off a 89 oldsmobile cutlass supreme,on the t-bird there is one drilled hole on each side,I used those and the 2 outer bolts on the radiator support and it fit perfectly,I took it for a test drive and it helped quite a bit,probably not as good as a actual FSTB but if anyone is looking for a really cheap suspension upgrade this is it,the only modifying you need to do is grind down the arms for the hood supports so they dont hit,I have no clearance issues what so ever,the hood closes fine after the grinding for the hood supports,let me know what you guys think

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:45 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Could you post some pictures?

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

yeah,I was actually getting ready to go put them back on(I hand polished them) lol,I will get pictures up in a couple of minutes

http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=media1.jpg
I could only get a pic of the one side cause of lighting issues,but it should do good enough to show people what im talking about

in the picture if you look at the arm up on the shock tower you can see where I had to grind out of the arm to make clearance for the hood support

95 thunderbird LX - super coupe sway bars, front shock brace,custom exhaust, auxiliary trans cooler, cold air intake,180 degree thermostat, RSTB, custom front grille, HID conversion,18X9 Bullits,PBR front dual piston calipers,80MM MAF,eibachs 1.5" lowering springs, bilstein rear shocks,tokico front shocks, rear drum to disc brake swap,tinted windows,all new sound system

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-30-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Merge posts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:39 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Use the EDIT button. Don't chain post.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

so what do you guys think?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbinXR7 View Post

I think that is really close to your positive battery terminal, and it would in all likelihood bend in a front corner collision, possibly contacting your positive battery terminal and shorting out.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
"Helped" how?

-Matt
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
"Helped" how?
after I installed them,the front felt tighter,now I have never used a FSTB on my car,or I have drove one with a FSTB so I dont know how much that improves,in my opinion,this is helps the suspension over stock,I have had these on for about a year now,and no damage to anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueMN12 View Post
I think that is really close to your positive battery terminal, and it would in all likelihood bend in a front corner collision, possibly contacting your positive battery terminal and shorting out.
I do know what your getting at,the arm sits higher than the battery terminal though and you could always use one of those plastic covers for the terminal.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-30-2012 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Merge posts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
PostWhore

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by durbinXR7 View Post
I think you now have a well braced radiator support, but you aren't bracing the shock towers.

In that FWD car those supports are needed to brace the radiator support because there is a torque link running back from that same radiator support to the engine and it controls the rocking of the engine/trans under power, etc .

In that case, it's not the shock towers that are braced against a stronger part ... it's the radiator support that's braced against the stronger shock towers.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalPistol View Post
I think you now have a well braced radiator support, but you aren't bracing the shock towers.

In that FWD car those supports are needed to brace the radiator support because there is a torque link running back from that same radiator support to the engine and it controls the rocking of the engine/trans under power, etc .

In that case, it's not the shock towers that are braced against a stronger part ... it's the radiator support that's braced against the stronger shock towers.
thanks for your input,I understand what your getting at,but it does seem to work a little in turns,I dont know if it just squeezes everything so the radiator support or shock towers flex as much or not,but there is a noticeable difference

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in