loud squeak/groan on some turns. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thewishkah
loud squeak/groan on some turns.

In the last few days my cougar has developed a groaning/squeak in turns (mainly while turning into a driveway) its not a high pitched squeak kind of sounds like dry bushings but what should I check? Upper ball joints are only a few months old, strut rod bushing (at the arm) are even newer then the upper arms and ball joints.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
How are the lower ball joints and sway bar endlinks?

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

the lowers looked good last time I checked like a month ago they had no play in any direction when I was doing my alignment at school (checked with pry bar under the wheel and lifted while on the rack) the sway bar end links have been shot a while now but they had just made the normal rattle/ clunk so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 12:59 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Are the boots still intact on the lowers ball joints?

If I heard that noise, That is what I would replace...

Try oiling it, and see if the noise goes away. (not WD40, get some motor oil/grease in there)

They usually make that noise as they are making their way thru the opening. Be very careful until you get this figured out; that can kill you if you're on the interstate.

Bushings squeak; metal on metal with some force on it makes a groaning noise.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

the boots were immaculate last time i looked. Its raining right now so i cant get under there right this minute but i went out and started pushing downward on the car like you would for a jounce test and i heard the noise but much lower then when its being driven on I think it may be the strut and strut boots is this possible? the sounds it like an errreerrr kind of like this but not so much not all the time mostly when pulling into or out of a spot or driveway not during regular driving.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJvQrpw83cA

Last edited by thewishkah; 03-12-2010 at 02:47 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
How are your upper spring / shock mounts ?? Sometimes the center bushing seperates from the rubber - if you remove the washer from the top inside the engine bay it may be evident with the vehicle weight on it.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I'll give that a check next at this point im not ruling anything out, the front struts and all rubber have been on the car since I got it in 2006( don't think they were near new then) I have done the upper ball joints/arms, the strut rod bushings to lower arm, rear shocks, sway bar end links in the rear and that's really it as far as the suspension goes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Everything looks wet because it was raining out but the only things I saw that were not in "great" shape were the strut rod bushings at the K member and the strut mounts up top.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 PM
PostWhore

If the lowers are original they could be starting to go. If nothing else can pinpoint the problem, you can shoot some grease in there with a needle fitting, then turn the wheel a few times and clean it up and seal up the hole with RTV.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
you can shoot some grease in there with a needle fitting, then turn the wheel a few times
I'd do this, see if the noise stops, and replace whatever it was making noise.

If these fail, it's bad...

At 10 mph, it will probably only waste the fender; at 60, "you goin' for a ride, boah!"

You thing a Prius at wot is bad, imagine sliding backwards into something at 60. (The ball will dig into the ground, and be dragging hard.)

Noises like that one are warnings; nothing working properly on a car will make a noise like that. Squeaks, rattles, I ignore until I have time; some noises get your attention.

WD will help you find the problem faster; but it will also wash out any remaining grease, so it will really be dry then.

Good Luck!

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
I'd do this, see if the noise stops, and replace whatever it was making noise.

If these fail, it's bad...

At 10 mph, it will probably only waste the fender; at 60, "you goin' for a ride, boah!"

You thing a Prius at wot is bad, imagine sliding backwards into something at 60. (The ball will dig into the ground, and be dragging hard.)

Noises like that one are warnings; nothing working properly on a car will make a noise like that. Squeaks, rattles, I ignore until I have time; some noises get your attention.

WD will help you find the problem faster; but it will also wash out any remaining grease, so it will really be dry then.

Good Luck!
Yup Grog is right!

Just FYI, unexplained brake pulls can mean bad ball joints too. If your brakes are otherwise ok and you get a pull when you touch the brake the grease trick may solve the problem. That means you shouldn't be driving over 30MPH until the arm or ball joint gets replaced.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
How is the pre-load on the bushings ?? The suspension parts were replaced and tightened to spec with the vehicle under loaded weight ??? Sometimes they can squeak if they are bound up.

The parts you took pictures of look ok ... but you said there is some play at the strut rod bushings @ LCA and the subframe ?? Got any pics ? I would replace those if they feel loose at all.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I don't have any brake pull at all. As far as the strut rod bushings the ones at the LCA have just been replaced last month. The ones at the sub frame are a little worn and have some minor cracking in them but aren't at all loose or terrible but could use replacing. When I did the upper arms I tightened them to spec once I put the weight of the car on them as to be sure they wouldn't bind .

When I push down right on top of the wheel well on the fender I get the noise, it isn't as loud but I am able to hear it. I think it may be the strut or strut mount but I will do even further inspection when the rain and Gail force winds stop. It is hard to see in the picture of the strut mount but it does have a bunch of tears in it most of the way around.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-13-2010, 04:36 PM

Garage
I'd take a pump-type oil can, and hit one thing at a time until I localized the sound; the strut mount pushes thru, sticking up under the hood ~2" when it lets go.

Since you can get it to make noise, get under there with it on ramps, curb, whatever, and let someone move it around while you listen.

Make sure the car is solid before you get down there, OK?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-14-2010, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

OK well I drove the car tonight to get gas for the week and the noise was gone couldn't recreate it no matter the angle but its been POURING out so I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in