The old lady is angry! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

The old lady is angry!

I'm pretty sure that my girlfriend doesn't like the fact that we live 10 minutes away from the Summit Racing Superstore. I was bored today while she was at work. So I just ran down to Summit to see what I could find. So I came home with a new 1-1/4" sway bar from Addco. Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to put it on til next weekend. But I'm going to try and put it on tomorrow. I can't wait!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Good bar I have the same

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 04:33 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I am assuming from the lax tone you mean the rear bar, its a good bar have both f/r. And that is a good thing I dont live near that store, or worse I could work there.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 PM
PostWhore

I'm about 20 minutes from SLP

I think I would not be able to have a check card if I lived that close to Summit.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 07:19 PM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to LoadedButane Send a message via Yahoo to LoadedButane
My woman would have me under house arrest if I lived that close. It is bad enough that I have the resources of the internet at my disposal. hehe

Geoff
1995 Mercury Cougar
~Mark VIII Trans with jmod + converter, 255lph fuel pump
~heads, cams, and intake in the distant future or when I break something
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

yes, u are correct its the rear sway bar. i plan on doing the exhaust next. then maybe a set of koni's. the front sway bar will probably be last.

however, i now have a new problem. i let her drive the car this week (i totaled hers a few weeks ago) and now i need to do a wheel bearing on the left rear. so quick question, is the hub supposed to separate from the knuckle? and if so how? i have the puller on it, but it is pulling the entire knuckle instead of just the hub.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpthefatty View Post
yes, u are correct its the rear sway bar. i plan on doing the exhaust next. then maybe a set of koni's. the front sway bar will probably be last.

however, i now have a new problem. i let her drive the car this week (i totaled hers a few weeks ago) and now i need to do a wheel bearing on the left rear. so quick question, is the hub supposed to separate from the knuckle? and if so how? i have the puller on it, but it is pulling the entire knuckle instead of just the hub.
Well theres your first problem - totalled her car.

Rear wheel hub bearing .. you need to remove the knuckle from the vehicle and use a 12 or 20 ton shop press to remove the hub, then bearing from the knuckle. Sounds like you're part way there getting the half shaft out of the hub to remove the whole knuckle.

http://www.sccoa.com/articles/rearwheelbearing.php
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-20-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok thanx. i wasnt sure if the knuckle and hub could be separated with out the press
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok, anything else i should replace while the knuckle is off of the cougar?
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Veteran Poster

Send a message via AIM to 5.0 Chero
Quote:
Cant say I have done it on a mn12 or any car with an Independent rear end.

But on a car with a live (straight) axle if go you to that big of a rear bar with out upgrading to a bigger bar in front you will have one ill handling ride.

73 ranchero with a 89 5.0 EFI HO/AOD
THE PYL !
91 Tbird lx 5.0 swap
GONE 93 5.0 Stang vert
54 Ford Vicky PAXTON SUPERCHARGED 5.0 HO/AOD
86 F250 Diesel 4x4
GONE 89 Aerostar
2003 F350 Super duty
1996 Exploder
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Chero View Post
Cant say I have done it on a mn12 or any car with an Independent rear end.

But on a car with a live (straight) axle if go you to that big of a rear bar with out upgrading to a bigger bar in front you will have one ill handling ride.
it looks like we will find out possibly this afternoon. from what i have read of others experiences with this set up, it just makes the front end feel a little sloppy. But if i don't like how it handles, i will just have to wait a couple weeks til the next check and go grab the front bar.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok i have another question now that i have finished the driver side wheel bearing. so, i took it out for a little test drive after i got everything back together. when i went into corners it still felt very sloppy. when i got back i checked the driver side to see if it felt tight. it did. so i checked the passenger side. when i took the center cap off, i noticed grease around the hub area on the wheel and the halfshaft nut was loose. that caused the tire to wobble. so i tightened that down and everything feels tight there is no play in the tire or anything. everything felt fine on the second test drive. but i am wondering if that grease is from the wheel bearing. and if it is does that mean i have to change it?
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 06:43 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Send a message via MSN to sik97bird
i would be in some much trouble with the bank if i lived 10 min from summit racing.

I'M BACK
97 Supercharged Ford Thunderbird with warpdrive
Check out my Gallery

vist the Man RobertP at www.robstireandauto.com
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 12:39 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
ok i have another question now that i have finished the driver side wheel bearing. so, i took it out for a little test drive after i got everything back together. when i went into corners it still felt very sloppy. when i got back i checked the driver side to see if it felt tight. it did. so i checked the passenger side. when i took the center cap off, i noticed grease around the hub area on the wheel and the halfshaft nut was loose. that caused the tire to wobble. so i tightened that down and everything feels tight there is no play in the tire or anything. everything felt fine on the second test drive. but i am wondering if that grease is from the wheel bearing. and if it is does that mean i have to change it?
Sounds like the passenger side has gone bad also and needs to be replaced. The nuts loosen when they go bad - any nut that has backed off needs to be replaced with a new one and inspect the bearing. Wiggle the wheel while it is up in the air to check the bearing. The nuts need to be torqued to 250 ft lbs to fully seat the bearing.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 01:42 PM
5th Gear Poster

I live 10mins from all three Jegs and an hour or so from the summit he is talking about.

Sadly I have no women to fuss haha

"Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today"
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
Sounds like the passenger side has gone bad also and needs to be replaced. The nuts loosen when they go bad - any nut that has backed off needs to be replaced with a new one and inspect the bearing. Wiggle the wheel while it is up in the air to check the bearing. The nuts need to be torqued to 250 ft lbs to fully seat the bearing.
yeah i tried to wiggle the tire in the air and it felt solid. both of the nuts have been tightened to 250lbs and both sides feel good now. should i still replace the passenger side?
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 08:14 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:

Right there is your way out! Just tell her the rear sway bar was done with her in mind because she had to drive it. From personal experience she probably won't buy it, but it sounds good. I live about ten minutes North of Summit so i tend to run into the same problem as you with the store so close. On the brightside, i've had tons of experience at coming up with "thoughtful" excuses as to why i was there...
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by steves93tbird View Post
Right there is your way out! Just tell her the rear sway bar was done with her in mind because she had to drive it. From personal experience she probably won't buy it, but it sounds good. I live about ten minutes North of Summit so i tend to run into the same problem as you with the store so close. On the brightside, i've had tons of experience at coming up with "thoughtful" excuses as to why i was there...
yeah i drag her up there a lot of times just to look at stuff on the discount rack
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
yeah i tried to wiggle the tire in the air and it felt solid. both of the nuts have been tightened to 250lbs and both sides feel good now. should i still replace the passenger side?

If it feels nice and tight and the nuts are New + tightened to spec they should be good to go. Id replace old nuts for peace of mind. Just re-check it again soon and make sure its not backing off any.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

thanx guys
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

ok so i got the swap done yesterday and the car feels great! i don't think that i have seen any side by side pictures of the old compared to the new. so i took a few.

I do have one more issue though. It sounds like the sway bar is creaking when i go over bumps slowly. any reason why the bar would do that? could my end links be too loose?
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 02:57 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Quote:
I do have one more issue though. It sounds like the sway bar is creaking when i go over bumps slowly. any reason why the bar would do that? could my end links be too loose?
Grease the bushings?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

yep
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 07:54 AM
Voice/Data Guru

End links may be loose , Mine are good and tight and not a sound from my suspension front or back

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in