Steering column "coupler" - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Steering column "coupler"

Since I've gotten my car, there has been a "dead" spot in the steering where it will turn about an inch side to side without turning the wheels. It's pretty irritating when you're driving because you constantly have to overcorrect to keep it straight. I checked all the joints and found that the "coupler", not sure what it's called, that joins the end of the column to the rack is where the play is. I've tried tightening the bolt on the rack end, and it didn't help. Seemed like the bolt starting twisting so I stopped. Does this "coupler" need replaced or should I try a harder grade bolt and try to tighten the hell out of it? If I have to replace it, is this part still available? It's on a 95 tbird. I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks
Mike
mh68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster
 
Bradone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dunedin, FL
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
Since I've gotten my car, there has been a "dead" spot in the steering where it will turn about an inch side to side without turning the wheels. It's pretty irritating when you're driving because you constantly have to overcorrect to keep it straight. I checked all the joints and found that the "coupler", not sure what it's called, that joins the end of the column to the rack is where the play is. I've tried tightening the bolt on the rack end, and it didn't help. Seemed like the bolt starting twisting so I stopped. Does this "coupler" need replaced or should I try a harder grade bolt and try to tighten the hell out of it? If I have to replace it, is this part still available? It's on a 95 tbird. I did a search and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks
Mike

Please go buy a new coupler, PLEASE! Yes it is available.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
Bradone is offline  
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
Please go buy a new coupler, PLEASE! Yes it is available.

Brad
Are they only available thru Ford or can you get them at a Parts Store? That's the route I'm wanting to go, I wanted to make sure they're available. Also, do you have to loosen the column and pull it back some to get the coupler off?

Mike
mh68 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:04 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster
 
DLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Forked River, NJ
Age: 65
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
Are they only available thru Ford or can you get them at a Parts Store? That's the route I'm wanting to go, I wanted to make sure they're available. Also, do you have to loosen the column and pull it back some to get the coupler off?

Mike
I have a couple of good used "rag joints" if that's the way you want to go, or you can click on the "SS Steering Joints" link below my signature, and buy an aftermarket replacement.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
DLF is offline  
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 02:07 AM
PostWhore
 
CrystalPistol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Shenandoah Valley
Age: 65
Posts: 1,032
I've used the rag joints by "HELP" available at most auto parts stores on pickups and other cars .... they're as good as any, several layers rubber and fabric.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 04-06-2010 at 11:32 PM.
CrystalPistol is offline  
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Ok, I found a coupler at a local yard. What's the easiest way to get it out? Do you have to drop the steering column and pull it back? How involved is that to do? The threads are stripped out on mine so I need to replace it asap.

Thanks
Mike
mh68 is offline  
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:10 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.
 
Splattered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: is hot
Posts: 3,868
the steering shaft is telescoping so it will slide up out of the way. YOu just need to undo the bolts on either end of the couple and it will come out no problem. You real problem is attaching back together and having the steering wheel perfectly strait on.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Splattered is offline  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 PM
Refrigerator Raider Hater
Moderator
 
GreenBird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Vermont
Age: 36
Posts: 11,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
the steering shaft is telescoping so it will slide up out of the way. YOu just need to undo the bolts on either end of the couple and it will come out no problem. You real problem is attaching back together and having the steering wheel perfectly strait on.
just turn the wheel slightly with the key off, it will lock in place and you can remove and replace without worry.




Matt "Looks Like Egon" Davis
96 Alpine Green V8
98 Audi A8 4.2Q in Racing Green Totalled
02 Audi A8L 4.2Q in Black

I buy my OEM Ford parts at 10% over dealer cost from Steve in White Bear Lake, MN.
You drive "like a man possessed"... by a woman!
GreenBird is offline  
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
I didn't realize the column was telescoping. I took the bolts out today and tried pushing the column end up but it didn't move. Maybe I missed something or just have to push harder.

Mike
mh68 is offline  
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Ok, here's the update. I got it tight now. I had to take it off and smack the coupler with a hammer to close the gap up on the end of it where it attaches to the rack. Then I put a little bit longer bolt and locknut in it to tighten it the rest of the way and it's good now! Thanks for the help!

Mike
mh68 is offline  
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
I have a couple of good used "rag joints" if that's the way you want to go, or you can click on the "SS Steering Joints" link below my signature, and buy an aftermarket replacement.
PM sent
mh68 is offline  
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 10:08 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster
 
DLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Forked River, NJ
Age: 65
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
PM sent
Replied
DLF is offline  
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster
 
mh68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Missouri
Age: 51
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLF View Post
Replied
I got the coupler last thursday, thanks for the quick shipping!

Mike
mh68 is offline  
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-04-2010, 10:39 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster
 
DLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Forked River, NJ
Age: 65
Posts: 570
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh68 View Post
I got the coupler last thursday, thanks for the quick shipping!

Mike
You're welcome.

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
DLF is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome