Strut Rod Bushings - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster
 
Captain Cornflake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 31
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
Strut Rod Bushings

So general consensus around here seems to be only go with Ford for strut rod bushings. Well, going with the part numbers here, the Ford/Motorcraft parts website returns zero results.

Did they quit making them? If so, are there any aftermarket brands that hold up at all?
Captain Cornflake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator
 
Rodeo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Franklin, MA
Age: 63
Posts: 7,969
Garage
I checked Tasca's site scrolling thru the menu, not the part numbers and they're showing them.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Rodeo Joe is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator
 
theterminator93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: North Ridgeville, Ohio
Age: 31
Posts: 9,081
Garage
Interestingly, however, RockAuto doesn't list them. All they have are Raybestos and Moog.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
theterminator93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Posts: 9
If you are looking for the factory Ford Replacements bushings, then check out Green Sales Company. They have alot of hard to find or discontinued parts in stock and can send them to you. They have them for pretty cheap. You can also check out Silverstate Ford Parts too. Both usually have hard to find parts instock for pretty cheap prices.

Green Sales Company : http://www.greensalescompany.com/

Silverstate Ford Parts : http://www.directfordparts.com/
speedbird8807 is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 06:04 PM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
The Ford tension strut rod bushings are indeed still available from Ford. The only problem is that the kit for the frame side of the tension strut retails for, like, $229.00 PER KIT!!!

However, my local Ford dealer is supposed to be getting me 2 of those kits from another dealer for only $45.00 each!!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-26-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster
 
Captain Cornflake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 31
Posts: 31
Garage
Send a message via AIM to Captain Cornflake Send a message via Skype™ to Captain Cornflake
Green Sales had one kit for the frame side left marked down to $130 or so. Checked out Silverstate and was able to get just the bushings, along with the ones for the control arm side for $75 shipped. The bushings on mine aren't even that bad, so I'm hoping I can salvage the sleeves like this guy did. If not, I guess I'll make another order, haha.
Captain Cornflake is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-27-2010, 11:29 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
My problem is that I threw away all the original Ford parts when I changed my strut rod bushings last year, so I've had to buy ALL new Ford parts! I didn't realize that I was going to have SO much trouble with the NAPA parts I installed in place of the Ford parts. They are COMPLETE junk! The metal sleeve that installs on the strut rod where it passes through the frame (and which the rubber bushings go over) was mushroomed really bad because it is way too long (I had to cut some of it off, but that still didn't help) and I'm just having problems with my front-end and with the way the car drives that I don't feel I should be having after replacing my ENTIRE front suspension last year (UCA's, LCA's, shocks, springs, inner & outer tie-rods and I used ALL high-quality Moog, TRW and Vogtland parts)! My car feels like it's wandering a bit on the highway and some times I have a bad vibration and I feel like it's the fault of the ill-fitting NAPA parts. My tires were also brand-new at the same time and are high-quality Continentals and not some cheap, no-name brand - besides, I don't think it's a wheel balance problem due to the fact at times there's almost no vibration at all!

Anyway, I bought the individual bushings from Ford for the strut rod where it passes through the LCA, and I had to pay $30 (including shipping) for the four washers that go there too because they were obsolete from Ford and I had to find a dealer that had some in stock still. And, as soon as my Ford dealer calls and tells me he got the kits in for the frame side, I'll pick them up and then install all the new Ford parts. I'm hoping that helps with the problems I'm having (I've had the car aligned 2 times since I installed the front-end parts, so I know I put everything on right)!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-28-2010, 03:36 AM
Newbie
Moderator
 
master486's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Age: 32
Posts: 5,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Interestingly, however, RockAuto doesn't list them. All they have are Raybestos and Moog.
That's because RockAuto doesn't list Ford service parts.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
master486 is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:50 PM
6th Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Turlock, CA
Age: 32
Posts: 563
I recently rebuilt most all of the front end on my '96. I went with the $400+ ford bushings, and I do not regret it. I do, however, regret not cutting the ferrules a little bit, my steering feels a bit "notchy" like its "too tight" or binding and producing too much "feedback". I later read of someone who had similar results who then took it all back apart and cut the ferrules and it resulted in much smoother steering response.

EDIT: I didnt cut them originally because they were the same size as factory originals.

All Glory to God!

RIP JOHNNY LANGTON

96 LX PI/Jspec Pearl White. She enjoys eating ricers for breakfast
-MODS-
2002 PI 4.6L - Jspec Trans built by Darrin - 04 Marauder converter - Hayden 679 Trans cooler - Engine cooling modification - SCT Xcal2, tuned by Lonnie - 02 GT MAF and 99 GT Intake tube - removed silencer - 255 lph HP fuel pump - Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 TL - 245/60/15 BFGoodrich Radial T/A's - PBR front brakes - SCP Rear torsional load brace - SCP Solid rubber motor, transmission mounts - Rear Strut Tower brace and Diff cover brace by Rod
96_LX is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:16 AM
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_LX View Post
I recently rebuilt most all of the front end on my '96. I went with the $400+ ford bushings, and I do not regret it. I do, however, regret not cutting the ferrules a little bit, my steering feels a bit "notchy" like its "too tight" or binding and producing too much "feedback". I later read of someone who had similar results who then took it all back apart and cut the ferrules and it resulted in much smoother steering response.

EDIT: I didnt cut them originally because they were the same size as factory originals.
I wonder if Ford is still producing those parts, or they are just selling out stock(likely). In a few years they will be all gone.

Maybe the poster DLF should fabricate a set.

I don't think it would cost more than $400.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
2nd Gear Poster
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Ames, IA
Posts: 77
I hate to say it but I used Oreilly's house brand when doing my mark and they fit perfectly and seem to be of good quality. I haven't had any problems with them.

2004 Subaru OBW MT (95k) - "The lesmobile" slow, but capable
1987 Merkur XR4Ti (49k) - fixing electrical issues & getting it running right... then mods
1993 Lincoln Mark VIII (129k) SOLD
wood_e is offline  
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:34 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_LX View Post
I recently rebuilt most all of the front end on my '96. I went with the $400+ ford bushings, and I do not regret it. I do, however, regret not cutting the ferrules a little bit, my steering feels a bit "notchy" like its "too tight" or binding and producing too much "feedback". I later read of someone who had similar results who then took it all back apart and cut the ferrules and it resulted in much smoother steering response.

EDIT: I didnt cut them originally because they were the same size as factory originals.
It's interesting that you say that about your steering feel because I rebuilt my entire front-end last summer and, ever since that time, have had what I would describe as the exact same sensations from my steering! I have attributed it either to a bad steering rack (which I think is unlikely) or to the ill-fitting NAPA strut-rod bushings I used. I ended-up taking the strut-rods off because I had a washer on backwards on one side (yeah, I know that it probably didn't matter but it bothered me to know I put it back together like that - I'm kinda anal that way!) and I found the metal sleeve was all crushed on the end from tightening the nut against it (the sleeve was made too long). I took them apart, cut the crushed part off the sleeves and then re-assembled them, but it still just never felt right. I'm replacing them with all Ford parts but I'm starting to get a little aggravated with my local Ford dealer because he's supposed to be getting me (2) of the frame-side kits from another dealer (at much less than retail), but it's been almost a month now and he still doesn't have them (even though I gave him my credit card info so I could pre-pay for them)! I'm starting to think he's just jerking me around (the other dealer wouldn't sell them to me at the same discount he'd sell them to another dealer for, so that's why I asked my local dealer to obtain them - he said he'd be happy to)! I may have to just bite the bullet and order them myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
I wonder if Ford is still producing those parts, or they are just selling out stock(likely). In a few years they will be all gone.

Maybe the poster DLF should fabricate a set.

I don't think it would cost more than $400.
As far as I know, Ford is still producing them. They are probably charging so much for them now because it costs a lot to have such a limited quantity produced. But, I could be wrong!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96_LX View Post
I recently rebuilt most all of the front end on my '96. I went with the $400+ ford bushings, and I do not regret it. I do, however, regret not cutting the ferrules a little bit, my steering feels a bit "notchy" like its "too tight" or binding and producing too much "feedback". I later read of someone who had similar results who then took it all back apart and cut the ferrules and it resulted in much smoother steering response.

EDIT: I didnt cut them originally because they were the same size as factory originals.
I don't understand why Ford would make those ferrules so that one of them "may" need to be trimmed down in size, but even the factory replacement procedure states the one of them (I forget which one without reading it again) needs to be, I think, about 1/4" shorter than the other one! My original ones did not appear to be cut in any way when I removed them, so why aren't the replacements made exactly the same way?!!

Or, are they?

I'm going to be replacing mine with new Ford parts soon, and I need to know if I need to trim one of the ferrules?!!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:16 AM
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post


As far as I know, Ford is still producing them. They are probably charging so much for them now because it costs a lot to have such a limited quantity produced. But, I could be wrong!

Dennis
I know they list at $230 and tascafordparts.com lists it at $100:
E9SZ3A187A $229.05 $0.00 $100.78

BSHG & WSHR KIT

so there is a TON of dealer markup in the price. People even got them cheaper. Even if the dealer cost is $60-$70, I bet there is $40-$50 in it Ford. Good for them though. They probably know the story about the part and there is no suitable aftermarket for it. I'm surprised moog or one of the big guys can't copy it correctly though. Its not exactly complex!

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
PostWhore
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: albany, ny
Posts: 1,170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
I don't understand why Ford would make those ferrules so that one of them "may" need to be trimmed down in size, but even the factory replacement procedure states the one of them (I forget which one without reading it again) needs to be, I think, about 1/4" shorter than the other one! My original ones did not appear to be cut in any way when I removed them, so why aren't the replacements made exactly the same way?!!

Or, are they?

I'm going to be replacing mine with new Ford parts soon, and I need to know if I need to trim one of the ferrules?!!

Dennis
Yes, that is very strange. Maybe the replacement parts were tooled a bit too long, and it wasn't worth to modify them. Who knows

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
tbirdguy is offline  
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdguy View Post
I know they list at $230 and tascafordparts.com lists it at $100:
E9SZ3A187A $229.05 $0.00 $100.78

BSHG & WSHR KIT

so there is a TON of dealer markup in the price. People even got them cheaper. Even if the dealer cost is $60-$70, I bet there is $40-$50 in it Ford. Good for them though. They probably know the story about the part and there is no suitable aftermarket for it. I'm surprised moog or one of the big guys can't copy it correctly though. Its not exactly complex!
Dealer COST on this item, part #E9SZ-3A187-A, is $91.62 (at least as of 2/27/2010 it was)!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Tbird1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 27
Posts: 2,134
so is www.silverstatefordparts.com still the best and cheapest way to get just the bushings? $29 shipped. mine are shot and i need them bad.

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Tbird1997 is offline  
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
 
Tbird1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 27
Posts: 2,134
i talked to a guy at napa and they said get them directly from Ford...

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
Tbird1997 is offline  
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:45 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator
 
Rodeo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Franklin, MA
Age: 63
Posts: 7,969
Garage
To the top!

Bumping this thread, easier than starting a new one!

I'm in the middle of tearing my front suspension down and will be replacing the strut rod bushings. I bought the Ford kits from Jon and want to know about the ferrules.

dmw_4814 and 96_LX, did you guys have to cut them down and which one, or both?

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Rodeo Joe is offline  
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Sig Nazi & Gallery Moderator

Administrator
 
mrs.tbirdbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wellington, Florida
Posts: 745
Hey Joe,

I just asked the hubby - he says it's a two-piece ferrule and you don't need to cut them down. After multiple installations of non-ford parts, all of those cars he worked on were changed back to ford parts without any part modification and with no issues

TBIRDBRAIN - PRESTON
YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN
4/22/63 - 4/23/14
RIP JOEL BENDER
07/30/1979 - 03/26/2006
mrs.tbirdbrain is offline  
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-05-2010, 06:58 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator
 
Rodeo Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Franklin, MA
Age: 63
Posts: 7,969
Garage
Thanks Michelle!

After I pulled the strut rod out today, the ferrules were frozen on the rod. They looked to be the same size as the new ones. I was working on getting the bushing off the shock end of the rod when i noticed the ferrules on the other end had loosened up! See what a hammer can do for you. Looking at them on the other end I could see the smaller sleeve needs to be pushed in quite a bit more. So, yes trimming doesn't look to be necessary.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
Rodeo Joe is offline  
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo Joe View Post
Bumping this thread, easier than starting a new one!

I'm in the middle of tearing my front suspension down and will be replacing the strut rod bushings. I bought the Ford kits from Jon and want to know about the ferrules.

dmw_4814 and 96_LX, did you guys have to cut them down and which one, or both?

Joe
Joe,

I have not yet installed my new strut-rod bushings; in fact, I am going to the dealer later today to pick-up my last frame-side set (I already have the 1st frame-side set and both lower control arm side bushings/washers). I was going to tear the front end apart and change these parts today after I went to the dealer, but I live in an apartment and have to go over my father's house to work on my car and, unfortunately, he has to go somewhere today. So, I will be unable to install them until this weekend, at the earliest (it would've been too hot to work outside today, anyway - it's supposed to be about 92 here in Cleveland)!

Anyway, I will NOT be cutting either of the ferrules; the factory replacement procedure states one of the ferrules has to be at least 1/4 - 1/3" (I think) shorter than the other and looking at the one frame-side kit I already have, one of the ferrules is clearly already shorter than the other.

If you don't mind my asking, how much did you pay for your kits? I got one from a dealer in Nebraska and I paid, including shipping, about $52 for it. The second kit I had a local dealer get for me from another dealer, since that other dealer refused to sell it to me for the same cost he'd sell it to another Ford dealer for. I will be paying about $60 for that kit, also including the shipping charges. I bought them this way because I sure as hell wasn't going to pay about $230 for each kit (that's about 20% of the total I paid for the whole car - just for EACH kit!!), and I knew that a dealer who'd had this kit in stock for a good number of years would be willing to deal on it!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:26 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
i talked to a guy at napa and they said get them directly from Ford...
The strut-rod frame-side bushing kits you get from NAPA are not ANYTHING like the Ford factory parts at all!! They are COMPLETE JUNK!! That is what I stupidly put on my car last year and I have had nothing but trouble because of them (I believe)!! First of all, they do not come with two metal ferrules; they come with ONE metal sleeve that is WAY too long; when you try and tighten the nut on the end of the strut-rod to something approaching the proper torque, the sleeve gets crushed and the end of it "mushrooms" out. This results in strut-rod bushings that do NOT perform their intended function at all, and I now have a slight wandering feel in the steering at highway speeds, a vibration in the car at highway speeds and a slight feel as if the steering is "binding" or "sticking" when I'm driving on the highway. I believe this is all caused by the cheap, ill-fitting NAPA parts; my car just does NOT feel right even though I COMPLETELY rebuilt my front-end at the same time last year using ALL high-quality MOOG parts (as well as, at the same time, brand-new Continental ContiProContact tires)!

I tried to contact NAPA via their website last year to inform them of the problem with these kits and they just TOTALLY ignored me!

Man, I just can NOT wait to get my Ford strut-rod bushings installed!!!!

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2010, 01:31 AM
PostWhore
 
dmw_4814's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 56
Posts: 1,164
Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbird1997 View Post
so is www.silverstatefordparts.com still the best and cheapest way to get just the bushings? $29 shipped. mine are shot and i need them bad.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get a $29 price for strut-rod bushings at this site? I typed in the part number for the kit, E9SZ-3A187-A, and the search returned zero results. I also looked through the part listings on the left side and found no listing for any kind of strut-rod parts at all.

Dennis
dmw_4814 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome