Front Sway Bar Bushing - Correct Size? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Front Sway Bar Bushing - Correct Size?

I am getting ready to "pull the trigger" and order some parts to start rebuilding my front end suspension. I am going to be ordering UCA's, LCA's, sway bar end links, various bushings, etc. In preparation for doing this, have been doing lots of research, price comparing, searching and reading various information on this forum. Tons of great information!!

One question I have though.....what is the correct size front sway bar bushings that I need for my car??

My car is a completely stock (original) 1991 Cougar 3.8L LS. I have attempted to measure the front sway bar on my car, and the best I can tell from the micrometer is that it measures ~ 1.10 inch. Does that sound about right for the sway bar size on this car?

When looking at various parts warehouses (like RockAuto.com, etc)...I see so many different sizes of front sway bar bushings. Which one is correct for this application??

Lastly....any recommendations on which "brand" to buy, or where to buy the front sway bar bushings??

Thanks,

Tailwind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Okay...still searching for front stabilizer sway bar bushings.

I see RockAuto has some "MEVOTECH" brand bushings for a 1.09 inch stabilizer sway bar (which is what I think I have). The Part # is MK8756.

Does anybody know if "MEVOTECH" is a descent brand for bushings.....or should I just stick with TRW or pay more money for Moog or the poly bushings from Supercoupe Performance??
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 11:57 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I haven't one person b1tch about those being poly instead of rubber and I personally used them from scp.com. They are worth the money is terms of performance upgrade, for a few bucks more you get your car to handle a bit better than before. I would skip rubber with these bushings.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

articles

Hello

Go to the home page, click on articles, Suspension, sway bar sizes.

This gives you a chart. check it out.

Paul

Paul [email protected]
1990 Thunderbird Circle Track Street Stock
351W 2bbl.
C-4 Auto
3.90 open rear
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind_91 View Post
Okay...still searching for front stabilizer sway bar bushings.

I see RockAuto has some "MEVOTECH" brand bushings for a 1.09 inch stabilizer sway bar (which is what I think I have). The Part # is MK8756.

Does anybody know if "MEVOTECH" is a descent brand for bushings.....or should I just stick with TRW or pay more money for Moog or the poly bushings from Supercoupe Performance??
Stay away from Mevotech! I have used those parts before because of cost while I was laid off, only to have to replace them with better parts because they wore out FAST. Do yourself a favor and get a better brand. I have had success with MOOG sway arm bushings on many cars.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Paul..... There it is. I kept looking for that chart in the tech articles in the Newbie Forum (I had forgotten about the Articles link on the home page). That is exactly what I was looking for (and confirms my sway bar size).

Splattered and Sousa32..... Cool, that is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for. I think I will spend a little extra and go with a good quality Moog or the "poly" bushings from scp.

Thanks for the help and advice!!

Tailwind

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in