91 XR7 PS leak....bad leak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 12:12 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jmmctighe Send a message via Yahoo to jmmctighe
91 XR7 PS leak....bad leak

Hi All, need some help, advice, etc.

I have a 91 XR7 that has sprung a leak above the rack. The fluid looks to be coming from above the rack so i don't think the rack is bad. From searching the forum I can gather that it is most likely a high pressure hose or connection leak.
My questions are:
How the &%$# do you access the ps lines? Cant seem to get in anywhere from under the chassis. Does the rack need to be dropped? If so, one of the bolts is blocked by the exhaust, am I going to have to remove that as well?
I need to drive this machine about 3 miles so I can work on it at my place. Can I get away with driving it that distance without any fluid or without power assist? The leak is bad enough that I think if I fill the res with fluid I'll lose it all on the way.
Pictures would be great if anyone had them

TIA for any help or advice, I've putting this job off since last fall but now spring is here I need to get the cat back on the road.
--
John

Last edited by jmmctighe; 04-05-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to jmmctighe Send a message via Yahoo to jmmctighe
Bueller?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:25 PM
Veteran Poster

The same thing happened to my brothers old bird once and happened to me this winter.I was able to fanagle my arm from the bottom to take off the hose and slide a regular clamp on. I then tightened it from up top using a magnet to hold the new clamp in place while it tightened it with a nut driver. Thats just how i was able to do it and i wouldnt want to have to do it again.

-Doug
95 T-bird, purple python,i'll drive it again.........someday.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...73&ref=profile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
Well... about all the insight I have for you is that I don't think driving it around without any fluid in the pump is a good idea. You could burn out the pump causing permanent damage, possibly causing it to seize/lock up your pulley and shred your serpentine belt.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 11:06 PM
PostWhore

I would grab a few quarts of cheap PS fluid and let it leak as you drive. It is possible to drive without fluid, but not a good idea. It will wear the pump to some extent and it puts a lot of stress on the rag joint. You really have to muscle it with no PS.

Also, you should know that the high pressure line connects to a short elbow right above the rack. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what is leaking. That part is unavailable new, so you may have to buy used or have a tube shop finagle something up for you. However, the high-pressure line and low-pressure line are available.

-------------------

Steve

Owner, 1990 Thunderbird SC, white w/ gray cloth

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in