Need help with UCA asap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Battery
Need help with UCA asap

Hey I'm taking off my passenger side UCA and I'm stuck. I can't get the bolt out of the spindle to release the ball joint. I hammered in a cold chisel and it won't budge. I put some heat on it and all it really did was melt what was left of the boot. Any advice would be appreciated.

"It's all in the reflexes"
LE RIP
Now 96 Mark VIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:33 AM
6th Gear Poster

Here are a few tips...
1. open up the back of the spindle (at the split) a little with a chisel, i don't like to do this too much unless I have to
2. with the suspension hanging, use a big bar to pry up on the UCA (you can pry against the spring), hold the bar up as much as you can while you smack the side of spindle with a big hammer, this usually makes them fall right out

Though I love the blue tip wrench, heat is not necessary.

Good luck!

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Last edited by coolhandzep; 06-02-2010 at 04:39 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 PM
1st Gear Poster

Try soaking it in PB Blaster or WD40 yet? Sometimes it can be a booger to get out. What part are you heating? You need to heat the side of the spindle that the head of the bolt is on, as it is surely the side that is stuck.

I always hammer upward on the control arm with a chisel or punch in place to actually get the arm out, once the bolt is removed.

Tough / frustrating job sometimes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

What !I! did was to use my impact wrench on the head of the bolt and whack the nut end with a dead blow hammer.

Shot out of there like a raccoon with its tail on fire, it did

RwP
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 12:58 AM
1st Gear Poster

i used a pickle fork on mine, if you have one handy.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 01:05 AM
4th Gear Poster

lift the suspension up on the side your working on so theres no pressure on the balljoint and make sure you leave the nut on the very end of the bolt, then beat on it with a hammer and it should pop right out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 05:44 AM
Veteran Poster

just so you know, that bolt is held in with a channel in the ball joint as well as having teeth just under the head. it will NOT unscrew, and it MUST be removed before the ball joint can be pulled from the spindle.

You need to hammer the hell out of it from the other side. Heat up the spindle where it holds the ball joint and bolt, don't get it red hot, just heat it up, then start hammering the other side of the bolt with a BFH and it will eventually break loose and come out.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:41 AM
1st Gear Poster

+1 on GRNDPNDR & bagged95's comments.

A deadblow hammer might help too...I just got one and haven't used it much yet....I'll have to remember that when the times comes again!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged95 View Post
lift the suspension up on the side your working on so theres no pressure on the balljoint and make sure you leave the nut on the very end of the bolt, then beat on it with a hammer and it should pop right out.
these have about 1/2" of unthreaded tapered tip on the end of the bolt, I don't think the nut will go to the end for beating on with a hammer will it?

You're not supposed to reuse those bolt anyway, I beat the hell out of it from the tip of the bolt.

Oh btw, it will work better if you heat the spindle part and NOT the head of the bolt(I think I said otherwise above, apologies if I did). This will make the metal on the spindle expand so it gets larger around the bolt head.

If you heat the bolt head and spindle together, they just both expand together, even though this still helps break rust and what not, it's still easier if the bolt is less expanded than the part holding it in.

Rest In Peace Mom.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in