Question about greasing LCA joints - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:50 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Question about greasing LCA joints

I had both of my LCA bal joint replaced a while ago with greaseable joints. I haven't had that many cars with greaseable joints, and I was wondering how many pumps of the grease gun would you expect to typically put in there, when doing a routine grease up??

When I do the LCA joints on my Firebird, I pump in 3 or 4 shots until I start to feel the gaiter fill up and get a little pressured - nothing is supposed to come out. When doing the track rod ends on the same car, you pump it in until clean grease oozes out the top. When I did my new LCA joints on the T-Bird last weekend, I couldn't really feel much happening in the gaiters.

I had one wheel off the ground, and the other on the ground as I was draining oil at the time. On the side where the wheel was in the air, I could touch the gaiter, but it didn't seem to get any more pressurised after a few pumps. Nothing came out.

On the side with the wheel on the ground, I could hardly touch the gaiter, but after a few pumps (literally 3 or 4) I noticed that grease had come out of the joint just by the brake disc. Is this normal, or does it mean that the new joint has a gaiter that's split?

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2149821

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Veteran Poster

if grease is coming out, then the boot(gaiter?) is likely broken.

I haven't used greaseable ball joints, but from looking at what's in them when they are new, I don't think you would put more than about 2 pumps in it. they don't appear to be full.

Rest In Peace Mom.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
Bump

"...put me on a highway, show me a sign, and take it to the limit one more time"

The Eagles

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

RIP Dutch T-Bird (Robert Hendriks) 1970-2012 No doubt looking down on us from his low-riding T-Bird in the sky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Garage
???

The Eagles

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in