Tokico shocks--First driving impressions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Tokico shocks--First driving impressions

So i finally got around to installing new shocks in my SC. After a 2 years stint of clunking and the whole car shaking when i go over bumps, I am now thoroughly enjoying a suspension system that is not 20 years old...

Tokico blues seemed like a great compromise between performance and cost. I decided to go with non ARC shocks, mainly because of cost, and reused the factory springs. They are still all nice and shiny black, not rusty or anything. Kyb shock mounts were used, and they seem like very stout pieces.

Post-inspection of the old pieces tell me the factory shock mount bushings were loose and worn. The shocks themselves pretty crusty. I had replaced the entire front end last year so everything came apart and went back together without a hitch.

The install went very well, and i wasted no time to get out and put them to the test on the road. No more clunks over bumps was the first noticeable difference. The car no longer bobs up and down when riding on dippy roads or coming up over hills. And the cornering.... Well, i can say with confidence now that my tires are definately the weak link in the handling!!!

No leaning hammering around corners at full throttle. Steering input and feedback has improved. I dont think the front tires were planting very good before when cornering, but now... Absolutely inspiring ride compared to before. It just feels a lot less like a big car.

So, I realize for some, Tokicos may not be enough, but for my street driven weekend warrior cruiser, they feel fantastic!

Now i just need some new rubber!

1991 Super Coupe -
Performance=5.0 H.O. w/M5R2 5speed, 3.27 gears w/CF TracLoc,95 Cobra intake, 75mm Power throttle body, fenderwell CAI, C&L 73mm mass air w/24# injectors, FRPP E-Cam,Trickflow spring kit & Crane 1.7 roller rockers on stock E7s, MAC shorty headers, Flowmaster cat back w/hiflow cats, MSD plugs, coil, wires, electric cooling fan, 190lph Walbro fuel pump, BBK pulleys, and a B&M shifter. Drilled/slotted rotors, power brake conversion, Tokico Blues, Eibach springs, tons of poly, T4MO ecm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 PM
Voice/Data Guru

True ! I as well like the setup " street driven weekend warrior " the bird here 2 l

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I can't wait to do the same thing to my bird...

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Give em a month.

-Matt
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I run the blues and their lowering springs and I'm pleased with both.

Oh my goodness!!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Give em a month.
Mine has had 13 months To each his own

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Mine has had 13 months To each his own
Mine have had 3 years, still love them.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2010, 11:10 PM
5th Gear Poster

Earl, you get rid of those cut sport springs let me know. I might be interested. I really like your ride height

MAC CAI/02 STANG MAF/SCT CHIP TUNED BY LONNIE
EIBACH 1.5 LOWERING SPRINGS- BILSTEIN GAS SHOCKS
90 SUPERCOUPE SIDE SKIRTS/REAR
18x9-FRONT: 245 REAR: 275
PI intake/PI cams
355 trac lok
new tune for swapped parts (93 oct)

no longer the owner.... but its still my child its just released into the world....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM
4th Gear Poster

I've had them on mine since 2000, and with Eibach's since 2003. Replaced them once under warranty (no questions asked from shox.com). About 170,000 miles of driving it.

With decent tires (I have SC wheels and 235/60's), I think it's the best mod anyone can do for every day driving comfort.

97 LX, 4.6, Dynomax catback, Mustang MAF/intake tube and Aviator throttle body, Xcalibrator2 by Lonnie at BOC, 180 t-stat, Super Coupe wheels with 235/60/16's, Kenny Brown strut tower brace, Tokico Blues, Eibach Pro-kit, some strategically placed MN12 Performance polyurethane pieces, '02 Grand Marquis transmission

Submariners do it deeper...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
I'll chime in here and say that I also love my tokico blues. I used them, along with a set of eibachs for the coil conversion to my MarkVIII, and for a daily driver, the combo is just about perfect. The ride is still smooth over bumps, but body roll is way down and the car is much more predictable in the corners. Before, with the air ride, I never trusted the car going through turns. I put a set of bilsteins in the back with the factory air ride, and all that accomplished was making the ride harsh, but still just as sketchy in the turns. Not that I'm knocking the bilsteins in general, they just made the ride noticably harsher, and didn't help with a worn out air ride system, but they are now in the race car, and perform very well there. Anyway, the ride with the tokicos and eibachs is smooth over most bumps. When you hit a big bump, like a pothole or something, it does get very stiff and is noticably harsher over those, but for most daily driving, it is just as smooth as with the factory suspension. Going over rolling hills and through mountain roads and such, the shocks keep the car planted very well, and made it a lot of fun. All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend this combo to anyone. If it is a track only car, or maybe something that you only drive weekends and short distances, or something like that, then something a little stiffer might be better, but with the eibachs and tokicos I can drive to work every day, carve up the corners on the weekends, and take the car on a 1000 mile road trip in comfort. So overall, no complaints at all.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danalba View Post
Earl, you get rid of those cut sport springs let me know. I might be interested. I really like your ride height
Definately....I need to know what all you did to attach the un-modified SC skirts AND the metal door piece to your 96 with the cladding in place....you're the first one who has done it (to my knowledge) without cutting the skirts up to make them fit...looks 100x better than mine...just know that you're really really really likely to tear things up no matter how careful you are if you have my springs...looks great but it will scrape a some point, tires rub, rides rough, wears out shocks REAL fast...IMO it's just not worth it for all the problems it creates...but if you really want them...

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in