vibration problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

vibration problem

hi all im having a problem with my cougar when im driving from takeoff till 50mph the car shakes pretty bad but after that its smooth as butter, also when i apply the brakes it feels like the front end is going to fall off. I figure that is cause it needs new brakes/ rotors but for the vibration problem could you guys help me out with what it could be. Im gonna jack her up tomorrow and take the wheels off to get a better look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Check everything for play. The ball joints, bushings, sway bar links, and wheel bearing/hub should all be tight. If everything seems ok, you'll have to get your wheels checked.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 AM
5th Gear Poster

in my experience vibrations that occur at a certain speed then disappear after a certain speed is always wheel balance. I forget the actual science behind this. I should google it something about natural vibration limits bla blah. All i know is its still vibrating even though you can't feel it. The vibration you feel when braking is most likely warped rotors/drums.

Also while you check your stuff out, with the wheels still on and tight (but lifted off the ground) grab the tire and try to jiggle it left and right if it moves thats a steering component issue. Jiggling up and down would be wheel bearings. Have a friend move it while you look to see whats loose.

Forgive me When i sound like i have A.D.D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

well i was checking everything out and replaced the two front tires cause one had i busted belt. I replaced both cause i didnt have one with the same hight ratio so i put 65's on the front. It a little better but the vibration is still there. Seems like when i first drive it its fine but if i hit a good bump and makes a noise on that side then i start getting the vibration. Also i think my brakes are contributing to it to when it hit the brakes it pulls to the right and vibrates bad.

Does anyone have a blown up diagram of the front suspension and rear also just in case
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:42 PM
5th Gear Poster

if you brake and it pulls to the right u have a frozen caliper on the left side. Look at your pads for uneven wear and rips/tears in the piston or the dust boot. Also check to see if the pins are well lubricated. While you have it apart take the rotors to make sure they aren't to thin and to make sure they aren't warped.

Finally if most of the vibration while driving was taken away after replacing the front two tires have the rears balanced, chances are those rears are out of balance as well. When you replaced the front two those had to be rebalanced but most shops wont do it unless you ask. Usually they'll do it for free.

Forgive me When i sound like i have A.D.D.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 07:35 PM
6th Gear Poster

Follow master's suggestion and start checking all your front end bushings. If you've got a fair sum of miles on your car, I'd start with checking the front strut rod bushings.

a black car.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in