Front strut replacement - stubborn bolt - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Angry Front strut replacement - stubborn bolt

How the [email protected]#& do you get the strut bolt out of the big fat bushing it's stuck in? Does it thread out, or do I bang heck out of it with a hammer? Have had the struts since winter and need to get car running for daughter to take to college in three weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Voice/Data Guru

I think a big hammer

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:17 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Its supposed to slide out, but that never happens...

Hammer and twist out, that has always worked for me.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
You're talking about the lower shock to control arm mounting bolt? PB Blaster, hammering and twisting should work. If it goes too slowly for you, hammer and twist until you can see the bolt get thinner (about 1/2 to 3/4" out), saw the thick part off, and hammer it out the opposite way.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
i used a pneumatic hammer with a fine point tool. costs less than 20bucks at a harbor freight store
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

OK - I just didn't want to strip out any threads if they existed. If its just stuck I can wail at it. The bolt head is starting to round off, so I didn't want to wreck it in case there were threads and I had no choice but to turn it. Maybe a little torching before the Blaster to suck it between the bushing and the bolt thru capillary action?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
You don't want to torch it or you'll burn up the rubber bushing. If you go that route, be prepared to replace the entire control arm.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant

Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I could not get mine loose so I replaced the lower control arms. Sure made it ride better.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Thats cheating

-Matt
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

big hammer, PB, prybar and wrenching, with liberal cursing and two hours did it. now i'm wrestling with the upper control arm pinch bolt which won't come out either.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Here's a hint for that one too, at least this is what I've done to multiple successes in the past. Soak it up from all angles in PB, then stick a crescent wrench onto the square head of the bolt. Rock the bolt back and forth to loosen it up a few dozen times, then try whacking it out with a hammer. You might need to soak it in Blaster and go through the rocking routine a couple times before it finally loosens up. You might also want to find the biggest/longest crescent wrench to use because sometimes those bolts are really stubborn and don't want to break free. I used a 10" crescent with and old pipe over the end to amplify the torque.

Once you get the bolt out you'll probably have issues getting the end of the ball joint out of the spindle. For that I used a tie rod end lifter, those things are indispensable when it comes to ripping apart sticky suspension components. http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-61900.../dp/B0002SRDRI

-Brandon

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shumbody View Post
big hammer, PB, prybar and wrenching, with liberal cursing and two hours did it. now i'm wrestling with the upper control arm pinch bolt which won't come out either.
That one has always been easy. Hammer a wedge into the slot and then hammer the bolt out. Maybe that is to get the ball joint loose. I have to remember.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
That one has always been easy. Hammer a wedge into the slot and then hammer the bolt out. Maybe that is to get the ball joint loose. I have to remember.
Thank god for being Southern, lol.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Slow going, but its going.
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Thank god for being Southern, lol.
I was thinking the same thing. A little wack with a hammer and mine came right out.

1995 PI Tbird
2001 Lincoln Town Car Cartier L
1998 TA Vert
2004 Buick Regal GS
2000 Honda ST1100
1990 Mazda RX-7 2+2
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Update: Left side all done and replaced, new record for cussing. Working the right side now - had to cut the bottom of the strut off cause the bolt was frozen solid to the bushing which was turning along with everything. Metal sleeve with bolt attached is now out of the control arm, and the question is - do I replace the whole bushing, or try to get the bolt out of the sleeve and put the sleeve back in the bushing? Or do I have to replace the whole lower control arm now? And who had the bright [email protected]##$% idea to leave zero clearance between the upper control arm bolt and the A/C evaporator? !!!!!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 03:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Update: Left side all done and replaced, new record for cussing. Working the right side now - had to cut the bottom of the strut off cause the bolt was frozen solid to the bushing which was turning along with everything. Metal sleeve with bolt attached is now out of the control arm, and the question is - do I replace the whole bushing, or try to get the bolt out of the sleeve and put the sleeve back in the bushing? Or do I have to replace the whole lower control arm now? And who had the bright [email protected]##$% idea to leave zero clearance between the upper control arm bolt and the A/C evaporator? !!!!!
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2936&ppt=C0106

for my money

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0318&ppt=C0106

That bolt is easiest with a ratcheting wrench.

*Rodney*
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 06:21 PM
5th Gear Poster

I bought a ratcheting closed end wrench for that upper control arm bolt. Worth the money unless you have lots of time and patience. Recommend you replace the lower control arm if that bushing is bad.

1994 Thunderbird - Renegade Racing Long block, TFHS Trans, NA/SVO intake. Cam94 lives!
2010 Shelby GT500 - Black/Silver
1995 Thunderbird LX - 2000 GT PI Swap by W&S Motorsports - Sold on Tccoa.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

bought a moog bushing for the strut mount that should be fine. got a c wrench on the inboard upper arm nut and a six-point socket on the bolt and it came right out. and for once, installation WAS the reverse of removal!
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 08:37 AM
PostWhore

Just figured I'd throw my 2 cents on the lower shock bolt - kroil and an air hammer. Piece o' cake!

Tried PB blaster and a rubber mallet about 15 times over the span of a month, didn't budge. Kroil and an air hammer...first time, bolt went flying.

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

OK - strut bushing on the LCA was a b$%^& - locked up tight - got it out with a sawzall cut. BUT - there is a little bit of cut on the control arm strut bushing housing too - i mean about 3/4" long, maybe a 1/32" deep. Is that problematic, or am I good as long as the bushing is tight? Fill it with JB Weld to keep out moisture, or worry?
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
OK - strut bushing on the LCA was a b$%^& - locked up tight - got it out with a sawzall cut. BUT - there is a little bit of cut on the control arm strut bushing housing too - i mean about 3/4" long, maybe a 1/32" deep. Is that problematic, or am I good as long as the bushing is tight? Fill it with JB Weld to keep out moisture, or worry?
strut bushing housing? not sure what you are referring too.

*Rodney*
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

the hole in the lca the strut bushing goes through.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Any cut in suspension can potentially cause failure. Creates a stress point.

The Lower control arm is pretty beefy, but....
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I don't know as its deep enough for concern - and it doesn't go all the way across the hole. Goin' for it.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Here's a hint for that one too, at least this is what I've done to multiple successes in the past. Soak it up from all angles in PB, then stick a crescent wrench onto the square head of the bolt. Rock the bolt back and forth to loosen it up a few dozen times, then try whacking it out with a hammer. You might need to soak it in Blaster and go through the rocking routine a couple times before it finally loosens up. You might also want to find the biggest/longest crescent wrench to use because sometimes those bolts are really stubborn and don't want to break free. I used a 10" crescent with and old pipe over the end to amplify the torque.[/url]
Seconded to that, and do the pinch bolt first (unless your testing the pass ac clarence) and in the end tighten completely only after the vehicle is lowered to prevent wind up.

I did the drivers a year ago and just did the pass today. I forgot so much because I was so focused on getting around the ac canister. 18mm ratcheting wrench by Duralast worked like craftsmen and in the end took a heel kick straight up to loosen the pinch bolt initially. Wiggle that thing like crazy until it feels like it can not get looser and rap the other side with a mallet while still moving the square head. Get some daylight and shove a screw driver in and pry while still tapping. As always use PB.

Anyway getting around the ac canister can not be done without at the very least loosening the metal screw that is forcing the metal to hug it completely and removing the screw around the front end UCA frame bolt (this keeps the metal line from giving any play as it goes to the canister). If you follow the metal that wraps around the canister it has 2 holes that loop over firewall bolts and these are tightened down by nuts. Removing the bottom nut requires you to reach it from below and my skinnier arm barely fit between the cat and engine to reach it. I removed this one as well as the top when I was trying to insert a huge ratcheting wrench in between the space provided while using a set of pliers (closed dull point) to pry the canister away, I got lot's of play, but in the end the single 18mm was necessary and I only had to remove the top nut to get enough wiggle room to finish the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in