Lowering ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 92Thunderchicken
Lowering ?

I'm tight for money but seriously want to lower my bird. I've worked on a few older cars and 1 of them is my dads 67 Mustang and to lower it we cut the springs on it, (also did the Shelby 1" drop in the front). I also cut the springs on my uncle's 91 Integra to lower it. I'm looking for opinions on it bc most people I talk to frown upon it. But the 2 times I've done it we had good results. So I'd appreciate any insight or tips. Thank you.

92 T-Bird Base model
Was purchased in 92 as a demo bird and its been in the family since. Swapped the 3.8L for the HO 5.0L 302, red 8mm high performance spark plug wires, Autolite coppers, K&N air filter, air silencer removed, shorty headers, A/C and smog pump delete, custom 2.25 in. true dual exhaust, no cats or mufflers, Sport rear sway bar (painted red), NOS rear spoiler with brake light, custom sunroof, tint, JVC head unit, 2 Carver 400w amps, 4 Kicker crossovers, 2 10" Kicker subs, 2 8" Kicker subs, 2 6" Kicker subs, 2 6x9 Sony Xplode 3 way speakers, 2 5" Sony Xplode 3 ways, 2 3" Tweeters.
More to come soon...

79 Mustang Turbo
Swapped 4-cyl for HO 5.0. Rare red and white leather. Quite a few mods.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 12:19 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If all you are looking for is the lower stance, and not necessarily an improvement in handling, then go ahead and cut the stock springs. If you want it to handle well too, then get some stock SC/sport springs, and cut a coil off those, but be forewarned that will give you a very stiff ride.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:00 PM
Banned

How much off the coil should I cut to get what a 3/4 drop would be say 6in from the tip of the spring curving around or more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:27 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysikbirdy View Post
How much off the coil should I cut to get what a 3/4 drop would be say 6in from the tip of the spring curving around or more
I cut a total 1 coil off the front SPORT springs and 5/8 coil off the rear SPORT coils from my '92 Thunderbird Sport and it now now has 27-5/8 inches between the ground and the edge of the fender at the top of the arch, where the metal rolls to the lip, at all 4 fenders.

If you cut, cut from the bottom of the spring and orient the rears so the new pigatil end, 3" is in the lower spring bucket out towards the wheel furthest from car center line. I used a cut off saw blade in a old all metal Skill Saw I use just for metal work. Dressed the ends and painted.

I installed Tokico Blue HP shocks and UCAs @ same time and run 16 X 7 wheels with P225/60-16 Goodyear RS-A tires.

I did this in September 2008, maybe 6-7,000 miles ago. No problems. Car has a bit over 140,000+ miles. Did stiffen it up, but not bad. It is less tollerant to road alignmemnt changes like going intop parking lots from the street.

Stock sway bars.

I have a set of SPORT coils set aside for my '95 to do same sometime.

Two other threads I posted in.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=125480

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=115311

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Last edited by CrystalPistol; 08-28-2010 at 11:32 PM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 02:26 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92Thunderchicken View Post
I'm tight for money but seriously. want to lower my bird. I've worked on a few older cars and 1 of them is my dads 67 Mustang and to lower it we cut the springs on it, (also did the Shelby 1" drop in the front). I also cut the springs on my uncle's 91 Integra to lower it. I'm looking for opinions on it bc most people I talk to frown upon it. But the 2 times I've done it we had good results. So I'd appreciate any insight or tips. Thank you.
If you had searched you would know what the proper way is to lower your Bird. You may want to join a H Forum where everything goes and with a few Stickers you'll get the Performance Car of your Dreams.
I really don't know why PPL even replay to your question!

-Maic

Maic.

My idea of "help from above"... Is a sniper on the Roof
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 06:50 AM

just heat them if you wanna be cheap and fast
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 03:04 PM
1st Gear Poster

You gotta remember that those stock springs weren't meant to be cut like that. Go with a set of Eibachs Springs proper like. You won't be disappointed, trust me.

Philippe Mentor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in