03-04 Bilstein Cobra Vert shocks - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

03-04 Bilstein Cobra Vert shocks

I searched and search and searched...I possibly got the answers but I Just want to make sure...

These will bolt right in place of my stock rear shocks? Looks like I need the nut that they attach with at the top (inside the trunk) ?? Do I need anything else to make this work?

My KYB's are absolutely done from the car being slammed....the adjustable KONI's up front seem to still be fine though....

thanks for any help with this...and if anybody has a set of these for sale cheap...

2015 Mustang GT Premium / Manual / 3.55 / Recaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
There's a sticky on this at the top of this forum.

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=105250

Yes they will bolt right in place.

No you won't need the nut. The new shocks come with one.

No you won't need anything else to make this work. The new shocks come with the bushings you'll need.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Right on !! Sorry for not seeing the sticky...does the car handle better with these shocks? How rough is the ride out back?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
Right on !! Sorry for not seeing the sticky...does the car handle better with these shocks? How rough is the ride out back?
I re-used the Tbird upper shock mounts on the Cobra shocks - they would wiggle loose with the Mustang bushing. I also had to make a sleeve to go between the shock thread and the Tbird bushing - there was about .100" difference to take up the slack.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
I re-used the Tbird upper shock mounts on the Cobra shocks - they would wiggle loose with the Mustang bushing. I also had to make a sleeve to go between the shock thread and the Tbird bushing - there was about .100" difference to take up the slack.
Which end of the shock are you referring to?

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
The stud that passes through the body into the trunk. It is a smaller diameter than the Tbird shocks.

If you use the Mustang bushing mount - the rubber does not fit in the hole completely. If you use the Tbird mount, the stud is loose inside the bushing .. they will work either way, but you may hear a "clunk" sound over bumps ..
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
The stud that passes through the body into the trunk. It is a smaller diameter than the Tbird shocks.

If you use the Mustang bushing mount - the rubber does not fit in the hole completely. If you use the Tbird mount, the stud is loose inside the bushing .. they will work either way, but you may hear a "clunk" sound over bumps ..
What can I use as an adaptor to take up the slack and make it snug?

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Which part of upper did you not understand?

Come on Earl....

As far as the problem that SCTbird1994 describes; I have not had any issues with mine. I have no "clunk" and no spacer on mine. Just tighten the nut to the proper torque (14 to 26 FT LBS). It comes with a locking nut so the nut will not back off. To be honest with you, I don't think I even torqued mine. I just tightened the nut until the bushing began to compress then backed it off just a bit. Due to the length of the stud you'll need a deep socket (See Below). Don't try to torque it with a crows foot. Due to the offset the yeild to torque will not be accurate.

I had bought the poly upper mounts from Super Coupe Performance but didn't need them when the shocks arrived with their own set of rubber mounts. I sold the poly mounts.

What I'm saying is, in my experience, you don't need an adapter. Just install them correctly.

I'd like to see a picture of SCTbird1994's install to see what he used as an adapter and how his is installed.

Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. FusionŽ Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-05-2010 at 03:34 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Oh man...I am just not with it at all today...thanks for all the help really. Gonna order these in a couple days

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey View Post

I'd like to see a picture of SCTbird1994's install to see what he used as an adapter and how his is installed.

.. used to have a picture online, I cant seem to find it.

What I did was take a strip of aluminum sheet, cut it to the length of the bushing, rolled it around a socket to form the shape, trimmed it so its a split cut bushing, no overlap - it is just thick enough to take up the slack between the Tbird bushing and the Cobra shock stud.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
.. used to have a picture online, I cant seem to find it.

What I did was take a strip of aluminum sheet, cut it to the length of the bushing, rolled it around a socket to form the shape, trimmed it so its a split cut bushing, no overlap - it is just thick enough to take up the slack between the Tbird bushing and the Cobra shock stud.
Perfect - thanks for the idea

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

I just ordered a set from shockwherehouse should be here this week, gonna be real nice

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 05:56 PM

Super Moderator

Garage
I think you'll be real pleased with them. They've gone up in price a little in the past three years since I bought mine. But hey, you still get free shipping.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Ugh, well jeez...I placed mjy order online with shockwherehouse on MONDAY...as of this morning they still had not processed payment, shipped anything, etc.

So I call them, and I am told "oh we don't have those parts in stock and we won't ship them for at least two more weeks"

I told them to cancel my order...online status DOES NOT show it as cancelled...

I called Summitt, and they said that they would have the item drop shipped directly from Bilsteion and if we did that, I would have it in 3 to 7 days I said no, since I'm not sure if shockwarehouse will end up charging and shipping anyway, and I don't wanna get charged twice/pay twice

Then I went onto Summitt again this afternoon, and almost bought koni adjustables for the rear, to match the front...they won't ship them until mid october, WTF?!?

It seems the only shocks I can get, in a reasonable amount of time, would be monroe, or another set of KYB....

Got my UCA/LCA from rockauto today...still none of this does me any good until springs show hopefully tomorrow....

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:26 PM

Super Moderator

Garage

It's not going to kill you to wait two weeks for Shockwarehouse to get the Bilsteins in stock.

They were doing you a favor not to process payment until the order actually shipped.

Good parts are worth waiting for; that's also why you couldn't get the Koni adjustables until Mid October.

I had to wait six weeks for my Vogtland springs. You're not the only one.

Patients is a virtue. Call Shockwarehouse and tell them you're willing to wait. You can still swap the springs and add the shocks later.

Last edited by Trunk Monkey; 09-10-2010 at 07:32 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Yeah, I hear you on that...I didn't think there would be such a long wait...normally, I order something, it shows up...I might order from Summitt instead on these, not sure yet. Or I might do Koni adjustables back there...after seeing the price on them, they're not really much more than the Bilsteins.

Interesting side note, my UCA's/LCA's showed up today...both uppers are MOOG with zerk fittings, one lower is MOOG with a zerk, the other is a sealed TRW...oh well...the sealed lower did not come with a cotter pin, the greasable lower, however, did.

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
PostWhore

Don't they have them in stock at shox.com? I might my bilstein shocks for my Aspen from there at ~$260 for all four and they are awesome. Makes the Aspen ride more like my Sport Trac did, rather than a damn Hyundai.

89 Cougar XR-7...slightly modded, 240 rwhp / 340 rwtq, Best time as of 4/22/12 = 13.11 @ 103.82, 1.78 60'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in