Mark VII - Convert to springs???? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Mark VII - Convert to springs????

All,

What are my options to get rid of these pesky air springs. I can't find any leaks in these, and the suspension is intermittently dropping the fronts.....sometimes it does....sometimes it doesn't....but it's getting old! ...then so is the car!

What would it take to convert the front suspension to springs???? This is a Fox body car....will FB Mustang pieces work...and what all would I need?

Is it even possible to do the rear?

Car needs to be replaced...but short on funds....and would like to keep this girl on the road as it does actually run very well!!!! Just that all the bells and whistles are not dinging and whistling like they should any more!!!!

Lemmeno! Thanks!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:09 PM
PostWhore

Here you go! I used these guys to convert my Expedition to springs.

http://www.strutmasters.com/lincoln-...nsion-s/40.htm

Just one thing! DO NOT buy the air compressor they show on this site. It is junk!!! Even the sales guys will tell you that and they hate to sell it. I've already been through this with my Expedition. I ordered a compressor from these guys instead of spending $500 from Ford on an OEM compressor. My "new" compressor from these guys didn't even work out of the box! They are cheap China made crap. But Strutmasters were cool about it and took the pump back with no issues and credited my money towards a spring kit.

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft

Last edited by R8D-XXX; 09-28-2010 at 12:15 PM.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:39 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

R8D,

Wow! Great kit! However, I'm not thrilled with the price at this point.....like I said...this car is skirting the grave...and I'd rather not pump $400 into it....only to have the next big thing fail.....rear brakes are acting up.....freeze plug is weeping (not sure which one it is yet, cuz the car won't sit still long enuf for me to look at it....)!

I'm looking for more of an OEM fix, ie grab parts out of the wrecking yard and bolt them in!

This is the daughter's car, and she "expects" me to buy her a new car......and I "expect" that I'm not going to do that until she can help (contribute her $$$) with the deal!!! Time for her to understand some realities of life....dad ain't gonna be here forever!!! If I fall off of a cliff and die.....what is she gonna do then??????

Life is NOT a box of chocolates....it is cold, unforgiving, and cruel if you do not watch out for your own butt!!!

Thanks!!!!
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
There are conversion kits out there, which would probably be the cheapest and easiest route, unless you want to spend some time mixing and matching junkyard stuff. For the front, you need fox body tbird/cougar LCAs because they have the spring perch and are the right length, but they have a different taper on the ball joint than the MarkVII, so you would need to either change the spindles, which I'm not sure if there are any that have the right taper and the 5-lug pattern, or press out the ball joint and press in ones for a MarkVII into the fox arm. For the rear, you need to either change the whole housing over to one that had springs, or at least cut the perches off and weld them onto your housing. I believe 94/95 mustangs have the right width rear axle, but the brake setup is very different, so you would need the whole rear brake setup off that car and change the brake lines to the mustang setup.

The only disadvantage to the conversion kits are limited spring options, and that if a spring breaks or something like that, you have to basically buy another whole conversion kit.

Also, I'm not 100% sure on these parts, I'm just going off memory from previous projects, so double check all the measurements before you go plunk money down on parts.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

MadMikey,

WOW! Thanks for the info!!!! With all that, the conversion doesn't look all that expensive now!!! ...considering time......AND $100 for a rearend, $20 ea for lower arms, PITA $$$, and lots of time!

At this point, it's more of a get down the road........I'd pick up another car....but after Obama scrapped all the good running ones, there isn't much left around here!!!

I'm gonna swap in another set of front bags this weekend just in case I have a slow leak that I couldn't see after spraying them down with soapy water! I picked up a set a few weeks back in a yard. They still had air in them after a couple of weeks sitting there, so probably OK for a day or two!!

Thanks! Will update.....
Steve
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Don't they have regulations in Cali against working on your own cars???
Kidding. sorta

Let us know how it goes. I will be facing the children driving shortly.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown View Post
I will be facing the children driving shortly.
May God have mercy on your soul Just remember, it'll buff right out!

Jay

These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 02:55 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordMan77 View Post
Just remember, it'll buff right out!

Jay
Yeah I let my nephew borrow the 89 GT convert years ago for prom.... it didn't.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 06:34 PM
1st Gear Poster

Hi Steve, yeah those Marks can be a true PITA sometimes, an intermittent dropped front can be caused by several things, not always a pump or air bag problem but will take a few hours to properly diagnois true cause, if you have the time and paitence I can help you via phone and have access to wiring diagrams and schematics through AllData that I can send you if needed. good luck.

Kevin.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Hate to hi-jack the thread, but I just bought a Mark VII and am having similar problems. The air ride leaks down overnight after having to fill it through the compressor at the gas station. I have no knowledge of the air ride whatsoever. THe pump runs but does nothing.

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

Current: 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5.0 HO 3.27 gears
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 06:51 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94bird View Post
Hate to hi-jack the thread, but I just bought a Mark VII and am having similar problems. The air ride leaks down overnight after having to fill it through the compressor at the gas station. I have no knowledge of the air ride whatsoever. THe pump runs but does nothing.
The pump is more than likely shot. That is the same problem I had with the "new" pump that I mentioned in the second post of this thread. It would run but do nothing. You can test the pump if you want. All you have to do is take one of the air lines off. When the pump kicks on, put you finger over the hole and see how hard the air is pushing out. On a good pump, I was told that you should have problems keeping your finger over the hole due to the air pressure coming out.

pics of my car
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...ght=train+yard

Updated 10/14/11
3800 Dirty Dog installed and drag radials
13.0 @ 106.5 1.79 60ft
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8D-XXX View Post
The pump is more than likely shot. That is the same problem I had with the "new" pump that I mentioned in the second post of this thread. It would run but do nothing. You can test the pump if you want. All you have to do is take one of the air lines off. When the pump kicks on, put you finger over the hole and see how hard the air is pushing out. On a good pump, I was told that you should have problems keeping your finger over the hole due to the air pressure coming out.
Would a bad pump cause the air to bleed down? After about a day of sitting the car is on the ground.

1994 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 SOHC........Air silencer delete, muffler delete (LOL), and smoked tails......SOLD!

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-05-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

OK, we may have some success here, but it's only been a little over 24 hours......

I worked on the car Sat, and when I came out, the fronts were down....but the left front was "down more"! So, I figured I'd target that bag....first.

Replaced only the left front and so far so good!!! Will keep an eye on this post!

94Bird: You may want to try hosing down your front bags with some soapy water solution, and look for leaks (bubbles) around the where the bags roll under...and everywhere else..>!

Also, a good set of shop manuals will go a long way in helping you with this stuff too! I know it saved my bacon many times! I think I have one set of 92 books left.....

Thanks for all of the help!!! I was getting very frustrated, but as KL Mallendar said, and others, they are a pretty simple thing to work on.....just gotta take your time, read the manuals, and think about it...... Just that sometimes these leaks are not where you can see them!!!!

Steve
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 08:58 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Quote:
94Bird: You may want to try hosing down your front bags with some soapy water solution, and look for leaks (bubbles) around the where the bags roll under...and everywhere else..>!
I may as well throw out my update in here as well,,,,,

Last time I manually filled the bags up via the schrader on the compressor, I quickly turned off the air ride switch in the trunk. It has been about 2 weeks and the bags have not leaked down a CM! I haven't figured out why yet, but it's progress for sure. I know my compressor is bad, but not sure why it wouldn't leak down with the air ride off if the bags aren't leaking.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 09:56 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by '94bird View Post
I may as well throw out my update in here as well,,,,,

Last time I manually filled the bags up via the schrader on the compressor, I quickly turned off the air ride switch in the trunk. It has been about 2 weeks and the bags have not leaked down a CM! I haven't figured out why yet, but it's progress for sure. I know my compressor is bad, but not sure why it wouldn't leak down with the air ride off if the bags aren't leaking.
Well 94bird, you just verified that your bags and solinoids are in good shape, still leaves you with potential height sensor(s) along with pump issue, the bag solinoids need to be electrically activated to allow air in or out, once powered off and able to hold ride height confirms good bags and solinoid O-rings, good luck.

Kevin.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 11:04 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks for the re-assurance! BTW, I found a really good site for air ride components that really trumps other sites. They also have a two year warranty on their reman compressors. You could buy almost all the parts for your air suspension kit for like 600 bucks.

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in