Power Steering line replacement - is it even possible? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

Power Steering line replacement - is it even possible?

I am having a very hard time seeing how the pressure line can be replaced on my 1995 tbird with a 4.6. I can't get a wrench on either the power steering pump or the rack. It looks like I may have to pull the pulley on the pump, but I'm very unclear as to how you can get to the rack side. You can't lower the rack (it seems) because the line fitting will prevent you from lowering it out of the sub frame.

Does anyone have recommendations oh how to best do this?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Faster than Porkchop

I have changed the fittings on mine , and if you loosen the two huge bolts and nuts you can wiggle it around to get the wrenches on it .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:22 PM
MAMN12 Posse Member

Taking the pulley off would definitely let you get to the pump side fitting. You can rent the puller from Autozone...works like a charm. As for the rack side, best of luck, I did mine when I had the engine out.

~Jeff

*signed off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I use an 18mm crows foot with a couple extensions for the fitting at the rack .. this is one of my least favorite things to fix on a Tbird.

Oh yes .. it will be messy.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, guys. I was going to ask what size the flare nuts are. Sounds like the one on the rear is 18MM; I'll try the crow's foot, and possibly the flare nut wrench cut in half method. Does anyone know what size the one on the pump is? Thanks for all the response!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Huh, I just checked the new line and it seems like 11/16, as opposed to the stocker with 18mm... grrr! I'll be getting the crows feet and see how this goes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Faster than Porkchop

That bolt by the pulley is a ***** but just relax and take your time before you know it its off.
just don't twist the fitting on the rack side like I did when removing it.Get an extra hand if you need too.

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCTbird1994 View Post
I use an 18mm crows foot with a couple extensions for the fitting at the rack .. this is one of my least favorite things to fix on a Tbird.

Oh yes .. it will be messy.
Ditto. Did mine, it's not fun but patience and short little wrenches will do the rack fittings.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-02-2010, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for all the input. I got the old line out. Once I obtained a crow's foot 18mm, it wasn't too bad. I was very surprised that the fittings came apart without much trouble at all. Nothing twisted or broke. This old line is so rusty and crusty, I can't believe it lasted this long.

Before I put the new line on, I cleaned and painted all the metal to prevent rust. However, I did notice the PS cooling lines look really crusty, too. I can't find after market replacement parts for them; does anyone know a source? Or, is this something I'll have to have made up locally?

I really appreciate the recommendation on the crow's foot; that was the ticket.

Oh, the end by the pulley was not fun, you could only get 1/6 of a turn at a time, but it did eventually come out. Again, the crow's foot was very helpful in this area.

Last edited by ddidier; 10-02-2010 at 06:26 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 02:17 PM

I just added something I wrote up on another forum when I could not find good descriptive procedures for replacing the rack unit on son's '92 T-bird. I hope some of it may be helpful in just accessing the hoses.

http://forums.tccoa.com/search.php?searchid=2674129
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 07:08 PM

I'm replacing the PS presure side hose on my 93 w 5.0 and I sure could use some advice on how to reach those fittings on the rack. The joint I'm supposed to take apart looks very fragile and I'd rather remove the fitting at the rack & reinstall fitting on my new hose.
Link above didnt work for me...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in