Important Front Suspension Question!! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-03-2010, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Important Front Suspension Question!!

i have a important question that i need answered asap! please lol, couple weeks ago i ordered 2 KYB GR-2 Front Struts & KYB GR-2 Rear Shocks From TireRack.com/....Now i've been reading and see a couple people saying that 97 Thunderbirds Dont Have Front Struts!? WTF lol...Do I Need To Send The 2 Struts Back & Get 2 Shocks for the front? Or Whats The Deal?

Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:51 AM
6th Gear Poster

The usage of the terms 'shocks' and 'struts' is regularly misused. Some people call the front dampers on our cars 'shocks', some call them 'struts'. I say they are shocks. If you ask what is on the front of our cars here you may start a 10 page thread that ends in a lock. I'm sure if you properly ordered the parts from tire rack for your car (correct years: 89-97) you will receive the correct items.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 02:49 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
People like to throw around "strut" because of the coilover configuration on these, but a coilover does not a strut make. Struts take the place of the upper control arm in locating the wheel assembly, having the spring go around it was just part of MacPhersons original design. Mustangs(79-04) use a version that mounts the spring between the control arm and frame, but nobody says they have front shocks because the spring aint around them

That said, Kyb calls them struts so don't worry about it(unless you ordered them from a mustang)

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 07:32 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
There was a good explanation of the difference between the two and how it relates to MN12's in the technical articles but the link is currently broken.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 08:35 AM
PostSlut

a strut aids in the steering of the car......a shock does not.

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
People like to throw around "strut" because of the coilover configuration on these, but a coilover does not a strut make. Struts take the place of the upper control arm in locating the wheel assembly, having the spring go around it was just part of MacPhersons original design. Mustangs(79-04) use a version that mounts the spring between the control arm and frame, but nobody says they have front shocks because the spring aint around them

That said, Kyb calls them struts so don't worry about it(unless you ordered them from a mustang)
This is a perfect summary of what I remember reading in the tech articles. Since we have upper control arms, we technically have shocks...end of story.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Yeah I Ordered Them Straight From Tirerack.com Selecting The 97 Thunderbird LX, So I Should Be Good To Go, Thanks For All The Info Guys...Its Good To Know
Thanks!

--Jeremy
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
a strut aids in the steering of the car......a shock does not.
A MacPherson strut, yes.

But a strut as a structural member (without the word MacPherson attached to it) - is a support member (think of the struts in your attic, for instance.)

By YOUR definition, the strut rods in the front of the car - aren't strut rods!

(What they would be is a whole different discussion).

I say this because technically, from the structural standpoint, they ARE struts, being as how they are the intermediary between the bottom of the spring and the lower control arm. MacPhersons they ain't ...

RwP
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 01:48 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
IF you wanted to look at the spring as the other member, but with that logic why not call the RLCA's struts? They would serve as the intermediary between the subframe and spring.

-Matt
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Some suppliers sell em complete with new spring and top installed (expensive), that's why they call em struts, which has been explained it really isn't. I bought mine seperate and did the springs at the same time. Make damn sure you have a good set of spring compressors.

95 Thunderbird LX 4.6
K&N cold air intake. True 2 1/4" duals, Xenon GFX. 3:55 Trac loc. Beefier trans, 2800 stall convertor, MkV111 aluminum driveshaft.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

They're coilover shocks, not struts in any way at all except the coilover design similarity, which has already been stated "does not a strut make." Most parts stores will list them as struts and most parts store monkeys will not know any better. It doesn't help that Monroe sells "Quick Strut" kits for these cars which are the shock with spring and upper mount pre-assembled. That's what Buckcreekbilly is referring to, and I bet Monroe isn't the only supplier to do this.
And if you buy a set from a parts store, don't bother arguing that it's a shock and not a strut, thinking they're about to give you the wrong part. Their computer is listing them as struts, and they usually think that the computer is never wrong on anything, ever. It is showing the right part, even for those "Quick Struts", it's just wrong on the name.

Needs more stall.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 11:36 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
If it has movable connections at both ends, it's a shock.

If one end is fixed, its a strut.

Ours have a single pivot at both ends, it's a shock.

Mcpherson struts will have two bolts at one end, typically, as the Mustang does. And my Subarus, 83 firebird, and many others.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in