steering/strut noise? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Exclamation steering/strut noise?

hey guys, i have been having a constant noise while turning lately. It is kind of a grinding/growling noise and occurs when turning at a stop. I changed the power steering pump about 2 weeks ago so its not that. is it the rack? strut bearing?

1994 Cougar XR7 4.6- Current Daily Driver
- 90,000 miles
- Flowmaster 40s Delta, 2.5 inch piping catback, 3rd cat removed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 03:33 PM
6th Gear Poster

Is the power steering reservoir full? Not enough/aerated fluid makes a terrible noise in the pump. There are no strut bearings. The shock/spring assembly does not turn (not a macpherson strut).

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:25 PM
Seasoned PostWhore
Super Moderator

Garage
I'd check the tie rod ends in addition to making sure there's no air in the system. Regular PS fluid is also known to be slightly noisier than Mercon V in the PS system. Also suspect are either the lower or upper ball joints, but if you don't get any noise when going over bumps I'd say it's less likely.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-09-2010, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

the resivoir is full. Could it be a wheel bearing? but it makes the noise the loudest while turning at a stop. I can hear the faint squeak when driving but is not worse over bumps. What are the signs of a bad rack?

1994 Cougar XR7 4.6- Current Daily Driver
- 90,000 miles
- Flowmaster 40s Delta, 2.5 inch piping catback, 3rd cat removed
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM
pendejo

Mine's been doing the exact same thing for a little while not(not too long) I had it to a mechanic yesterday. We checked everything out, and all we could find was lower ball joints, both sides, are totally shot (I said int a post a week ago that my front end was tight. oops..)

That being said, I've never heard a ball joint make noises like this, and i'm not sure if I totally believe that's the cause of the noise. The new lower control arms are going in on tuesday so I'll update you on how I make out.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 07:47 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Checked the wheel bearings? Just a thought.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 08:23 AM
It is nice

even though u changed the pump id say its something with the power steering or rack, or power assist. not sure if the bearings would do that standing still but something also to look into. mine does the same thing occasianaly especially when the car is cold it grinds and electrical drag can be felt when turning slightly for a second then goes away. it also makes this noise turning slightly left at around 40mph. its more of a grinding then whining noise. seems alot of ppl have the same problem so who knows maybe just a bad design with the power assist, etc. could try unplugging the power assist module to test that would be a good start.

1997 Ford Thunderbird LX 4.6L (WT): Removed Air Silencer. PBR Brake Upgrade. J-MOD. Silverstar Headlights. Vogtland Springs 1.6". Front Sport Shocks/ Back KYB's. PI Cams. Xcal2 by Lonnie.
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 3.8L: SOLD
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by druggles85 View Post
Mine's been doing the exact same thing for a little while not(not too long) I had it to a mechanic yesterday. We checked everything out, and all we could find was lower ball joints, both sides, are totally shot (I said int a post a week ago that my front end was tight. oops..)

That being said, I've never heard a ball joint make noises like this, and i'm not sure if I totally believe that's the cause of the noise. The new lower control arms are going in on tuesday so I'll update you on how I make out.
It is, however, a BELIEVABLE sound - since it's pivoting on the ball joints while turning the wheel (not the wheel bearings, if the car isn't moving.)

Mine is popping during turns when sitting still or rolling slowly, plus has some vibration in the steering (it's getting worse, too.)

I'll be checking the lower ball joints while doing the driver's caliper today.

RwP

Edit: Well, you'll never guess what it appears to have been - when I replaced the hubs, I must have used the rear spindle nut on the passenger side. Yah, the hub bearing was toast. Luckily I kept the old hubs and was doing a "Just In Case" after a local shop warped the $FECAL_MATTER out of the rotor replacing four studs.

Hopefully IT wasn't warped. It took about eight passes around to get the tire snug, though - 100 ft/lbs on the torque wrench, but if it turns 1/3 to 1/2 turn, it wasn't actually at 100 ft/lbs - or it walked, one of the two. So I kept going around until it would pop immediately.

Last edited by RalphP; 11-15-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: More info
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 05:44 PM
pendejo

Control arms are on, I've only driven ten miles so far but it seems to be cured. It was making some terrible noises.

At 30mph or less the creaking almost sounded like the power steering was dry, and it was crunching and grinding all the way over to full lock in either direction. Above 50mph the noises went away.

When we had it on the lift the other day I could lift on the tires and actully see the lower ball joint moving up and down.

But like I said, I've heard ball joints crunch and pop but never make noises like this before.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 07:18 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Well guys , I recently changed the pass side lower control arm and
Now about a month later I'm getting a squeaky noise when turning
And when going over bumps. I changed the lc myself and I may have
Not torqued the lc arm correctly but as far as I can tell its tight.

BTW sounds like a squeaky bed. **** I've been having the worst
Luck this year.

sorry for the spelling error BLK Berry spell check sucks

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.

Last edited by cjchevez; 12-15-2010 at 07:30 PM.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-15-2010, 10:56 PM
PostWhore

Did you not replace any of the other parts on that side too?

-Randy-
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Faster than Porkchop

Upper control arms and the stabilizer links (forgot the name )
Were changed about two years a go both sides. Its sound like
The springs but I think its the lca. Mine came with grease nipple
And I assumed there is grease in there but now I don't know for
Sure. Its embarrassing when I stop or turn its kind of loud.
But its just squeaks not a grinding noise.

Btw I showered everything with gear oil in hopes of at least making
It quieter but its still doing it just not as bad. Heck even when I jacked
The car up it did it.

Thanks all

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.

Last edited by cjchevez; 12-16-2010 at 06:41 AM.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:30 PM
PostWhore

I suspect the actual sway bar bushings but only because they haven't been replaced yet. They can cause that sound during turns and going over bumps though. Hopefully the time difference between replacing the LCA's, UCA's, and end links didn't put extra pressure onto the LCA's.

-Randy-
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Nope forgot about those sway bar bushings , I did replace them too.
I also have newer tokico blues all around.

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in