Rear wheel is wobbling! - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Rear wheel is wobbling!

I noticed today the rear outside brake caliper is rubbing the rotor so I removed the rear drivers wheel to check it out and noticed the entire wheel hub is moving (wobbling) around! There are no loose nuts or bolts either. Not sure if the bearings, CV joints or what is shot. Never serviced anything on the rear suspension and w/ 193k miles I am sure something is plain wore out. It wobbles so bad that it looks like the entire rear wheel and hub could fly off! I studied how the half shafts and the rear hub interconnect and I just cannot figure out what this could be. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 02:22 PM
6th Gear Poster

Wheel bearing! Not a hard job. You just need to pull of the rear knuckle and get a new bearing pressed in. Should be like $40 for the bearing and $20-30 to get it pressed in.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:40 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

i haed wheel wobble once and it was the rear upper control arm bushings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I have seen those halfshaft nuts back off and cause a loose wheel. We used to see these from time to time back when I started working at the shop many years ago. I suppose tightening it back down pushes the bearing back together. If you can move the hub itself around and the knuckle is not moving while you do it, it is probably the wheel bearings.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
6th Gear Poster

Ok, guess I may tackle this fix before the rear wheel falls off completely while driving. Any tips of suggestions on replacing the rear wheel bearing? Anyone know what size tools are needed for this job? Will an alignment be needed one repair is complete?

Thanks for any input!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 11:46 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If the nuts are loose, chances are the bearing is toast - the nuts are not supposed to be re-useable either. They need to be torqued to 250 Ft lbs .. and you will need a 36mm socket. As for the hub bearing, you will need a 12 or 20 ton press or take it to a shop with one .. just make sure the bearing is supported properly ( like with an old bearing ) when you press it in. And inspect the Hub itself for any damage, often when I find a bad bearing, the hub gets chewed up as well - especially if it has been driven on while loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in