rough rider needs pillows - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

rough rider needs pillows

Merry X-mas fellow TCCoA members. Ok in trying to understand why my recently purchased 93 T-bird rides like a lowered 47 ford truck weighed down with crates of oranges I decided to come on the board and see if any one here has the same issues and how did it get solved. When I bought this little gem the previous first owner gave me a folder full of shop receipts of all the work he had done to the car over 17 years of ownership. the most recent was as far back as 2008 to present was new firestone firehawk indy 500 215/70/15's on all corners, front end service that included bushings, tie rods, brakes etc etc. shocks done in 07. In general a well maintained vehicle. So why does this car have such a jarring ride over small bumps, train tracks and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 10:35 PM
PostWhore

I think we'll need a bit more info. What all has been done to the suspension?

-Randy-
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93T5.0.H.O. View Post
Merry X-mas fellow TCCoA members. Ok in trying to understand why my recently purchased 93 T-bird rides like a lowered 47 ford truck weighed down with crates of oranges I decided to come on the board and see if any one here has the same issues and how did it get solved. When I bought this little gem the previous first owner gave me a folder full of shop receipts of all the work he had done to the car over 17 years of ownership. the most recent was as far back as 2008 to present was new firestone firehawk indy 500 215/70/15's on all corners, front end service that included bushings, tie rods, brakes etc etc. shocks done in 07. In general a well maintained vehicle. So why does this car have such a jarring ride over small bumps, train tracks and so on.
Definitely need more info but for a 5.0 LX to ride rough it has had a spring change. The stock suspension is very complient. Some pictures would help. I have ridden in Birds with stiff track shocks and they still aren't jarring on the stock springs. What shock is listed on your receipt? I have run Tokico Blues for over 3 years now and love them. Of course taste in shocks is individual.

Congradulations on your find and welcome!

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

here we go, dated 08/01/2007 rear control arm bushings. 02/01/2008 four firestone 215/70/15 indy 500's filled with nitrogen? front rotors and pads replaced on07/18/2008, inner tie rods ends moog, set of lower control arm bushings moog on 11/12/2001, outer tie rods again on 07/26/2004, another set of bushings moog part no. k8680 on 02/17/2004, 2 lower control arm kits with balljoint part no. k8596 and uppers k80053 k80055 on 09/16/2004, Well by looking over the many reciepts I see none in regards to shocks or struts, though the previous owner said he had them changed out a couple of years back, So my next course of action will be to replace them with monroe gas matics or sensatracs and go from there.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradone View Post
Definitely need more info but for a 5.0 LX to ride rough it has had a spring change. The stock suspension is very complient. Some pictures would help. I have ridden in Birds with stiff track shocks and they still aren't jarring on the stock springs. What shock is listed on your receipt? I have run Tokico Blues for over 3 years now and love them. Of course taste in shocks is individual.

Congradulations on your find and welcome!

Brad
I had the blue's on my 93 coupe with eibacs 1.5's and The blues were great, best ride on a mustang I ever had
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Quote:
I had the blue's on my 93 coupe with eibacs 1.5's and The blues were great, best ride on a mustang I ever had
I love the damping on the Blues! l'd turn up the compression a hair but haven't found anything else close. Worse ride I have had in TBird was a SC with 1.5 lowering and Bilstein shocks but I am sure that is model specific.

Brad

93 5.0 Thunderbird LX - Suspension rebuilt - poly , Solid rubber mm's, Tokico Blues, SCPP 3.5" CAI, True Duals (Pypes Bullits MVR200RA, Magnaflow Resonators 14416), FRPP case & 3.73 gears, Dynatech MMC driveshaft, Walbro 255lph, 3G 130 amp Alt, MAC 1 5/8" Long Tubes, Tru Cool (28k), Cervini hood, LC-1, QH, '95 Cobra J4J1 PCM, 88mm VMP Slot Blade MAF, '97 TBird Electric Fan, PBR calipers, 24lb EV6 Bosch 4 Jet Injectors

[email protected] (engine/trans is stock)

To Be Installed: WRGearset (FRPP) AOD w/Art Carr VB (transbrake/electric OD_non-lockup), Ultimate Converter Concepts 9.5" 4100, Hurst V-Matic 2, Camshaft Innovations "Custom" cam & "TEA" prepped TW 190 FAC by Jay Allen, Holley Systemax II, 75mm TB, 275/50/15 MT D/R's,
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
So my next course of action will be to replace them with monroe gas matics or sensatracs and go from there.
Suggestion? If you want a smooth comfortable ride, don't turn down the ACDelco premium shocks.

RwP
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 12:41 AM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
ACDelco premium shocks.
Where do you get them?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:17 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonWW View Post
Where do you get them?
RockAuto for one.

RwP
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 01:48 AM
5th Gear Poster

So online only, no local places?

Are they really smooth riding like stock?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 02:14 AM
5th Gear Poster

Dang, Rockauto is having a closeout and they are gone.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 08:07 AM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Let me add - I don't have them on my Cougar, I still am running the factory ARC setup (well, new-to-me ARC shocks, but still.)

Might want to check the parts houses around.

Me, I have a pair of the rear shocks never on the car, but am keeping those (got those on a wholesaler closeout).

My past experience has been they're nice and smooth riding, not what you'd want for maximum performance, but for comfy ride, hard to beat.

Edit: Huh. They list rears ( PN 520395 ) at $20 each, fronts (they list as struts, natch) (PN 503133 ) at under $45 each, but only one in stock. Amazon usually has a batch of ACDelco vendors, and we've got a regional named "ABC Auto Parts" that stocks most ACDelco parts.

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 06-23-2011 at 08:15 AM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2011, 11:35 AM
PostWhore

Thumbs up

Actually, a 47 Ford truck loaded with oranges rides better than a 1947 Ford truck that's empty unless overloaded with them oranges so that it's bottomed out.

OK .... Seriously .....

What is the spring code on the door jamb?

Also, look at the springs. You'll want to lay on your back on smooth ground and not wearing a suit .... and take a flashlight and scoot under there.

Are they painted or powdercoated a bright color?

Any tags wrapped around them with letters on them?

Is the car lower than stock?

Lower ends of springs coated like rest of spring ... or do they look "fresh CUT"?

My '95 is a LX and has spring code L33FF .... soft springs and they are stock. Very compliant ride.
I have a set of JJJJ springs standing by to put on it with my new shocks, but it only has 71K on it now and still rides soft while controled.

My '92 is a Sport and has spring code TJJJJ .... much stiffer springs and they were stiffer before I cut them and put the Tokico Blues on. Even at 130K it was a stiffer ride.
I did not cut much so increase stiiffness was minimal, 1 coil off fronts, 5/8 coil off rears which lowered car 1-1/2 inches and made it level.

A fine pair ... ... and whatever you do, Have a Safe Trip!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in