Rear Coil Springs & Subframe Bushings - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Rear Coil Springs & Subframe Bushings

I have a rear suspensions from a 97 Mark VIII with airbags. I need information on two items.

1. I need to replace the rear subframe passenger side front bushing or insulator. Not certain how to refer to it but its the hard rubber between the main frame and the subframe where the two bolt together. I can purchase it from a salvage yard but must remove it myself. What are the bolt sizes. It appears like there is a one bolt that goes through the middle. It sets on a bracket that bolts to the frame. What are the sizes of those two bolts also. I'm between home moving. All my tools are packed so I need to purchase the right tools. Another question here. Does that one bolt go all the way through and up into a point under the back seat where there might be a nut also? Is this bushing or insulator the same in the 97 Mark VIII and a 96 TBird?

2. I am planning on replacing the bags with springs. Will the 96 Tbird springs fit on the 97 Mark VIII. On the TBird, do the caps that have a nipple protruding up into the spring to hold it centered come off or are they welded in place?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald Davis View Post
I have a rear suspensions from a 97 Mark VIII with airbags. I need information on two items.

1. I need to replace the rear subframe passenger side front bushing or insulator. Not certain how to refer to it but its the hard rubber between the main frame and the subframe where the two bolt together. I can purchase it from a salvage yard but must remove it myself. What are the bolt sizes. It appears like there is a one bolt that goes through the middle. It sets on a bracket that bolts to the frame. What are the sizes of those two bolts also. I'm between home moving. All my tools are packed so I need to purchase the right tools. Another question here. Does that one bolt go all the way through and up into a point under the back seat where there might be a nut also? Is this bushing or insulator the same in the 97 Mark VIII and a 96 TBird?

2. I am planning on replacing the bags with springs. Will the 96 Tbird springs fit on the 97 Mark VIII. On the TBird, do the caps that have a nipple protruding up into the spring to hold it centered come off or are they welded in place?

Thanks
1. The main bolt is 15mm, but it is epoxied in from the factory, bring leverage tools. The nut is secured in the body, you don't have to hold it still.
2. The smaller bolts are 13mm.
3. You can use your springs; some people prefer perches - I just set mine right in where the air bags were and it works fine.
4. The bottom nipple is part of the lower control arm. Somewhere on this site is pictures where one member literally cut them out with a cutting torch to use them for perches.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 04:30 PM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

You'll also need to buy or make upper perches, as the Mark VIII doesn't have any way of retaining the top of the spring.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=62875

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in