compressing spring with car but shock wont poke through hole - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

compressing spring with car but shock wont poke through hole

I have been trying to finish my drivers side suspension today, but im having trouble getting the stud on top of the shock to poke through the upper mount. I was able to get the SR with new bushings back in without removing the LCA, barely. I mounted the new spring and shock and then stuck a 6x6 block under the LCA and jacked the car down to compress the spring. The full weight of the car wont compress the spring enough, i need another inch or more to get the shock washer and nut on. Would it help if i put about 400 lbs in weights and had a couple people sit on the front ? I have the lower shock bolt loosened so there isnt any bind. SR is loosely attatched and UCA is not attatched to the spindle.

Went to pick up my strut rod kit the other day, and my balljoint popped out as i pulled into the parking spot at the dealer. 10 more miles and it woulda been parked to be fixed. So i had them install the LCA and SR bushings on that end. Cost me $382 and ive pretty much had to undo everything they did to get everything else in. Im thankful it didnt break on the road though, could have been worse is how i have to look at it.

94 thunderbird 03 4r70w/mach1stall/jmod

Last edited by kev93z; 02-25-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM
6th Gear Poster

I've done a spring like that before, but its not fun, it was a 1990 Honda. I have also mounted many springs on shocks and struts with the correct tool (wall mounted compressor).

Bring the shock and spring to a shop and have them put it together for you. It won't cost much and that way the assembly will bolt into the car in literally minutes.

It's not worth the risk of injury attempting to compress the spring with the weight of the car and people.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Also, DO NOT use a spring compressor that you can "rent" from one of the auto parts stores....they suck and are dangerous....and very scary....I tried one, it did not work...I didn't have a "bad" experiance or anything, but it was very scary tightning it down and then loosening it up, hoping nothing flew apart, because it would have been violent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Yea ive read here to stay away from the loaner compressors. Ive been very careful when jacking to be no where near the spring, although it still has me nervous. I thought i read somewhere that it had been done so i figured with lots of precaution i could make it happen.
So im gonna jack it up and pull the spring/shock back out and take it to a shop monday and have it put together for $35. My only question with that is, how will they know what position the upper mount needs to be in for the 3 small studs to go through the shock tower? Id think it wouldnt move after the spring is mounted, but i dont know.

94 thunderbird 03 4r70w/mach1stall/jmod
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:27 AM
DLF
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev93z View Post
Yea ive read here to stay away from the loaner compressors. Ive been very careful when jacking to be no where near the spring, although it still has me nervous. I thought i read somewhere that it had been done so i figured with lots of precaution i could make it happen.
So im gonna jack it up and pull the spring/shock back out and take it to a shop monday and have it put together for $35. My only question with that is, how will they know what position the upper mount needs to be in for the 3 small studs to go through the shock tower? Id think it wouldnt move after the spring is mounted, but i dont know.
Here's a link to a picture of the diagram from the factory service manual.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showpost...24&postcount=6

98 Toreador Red Mark VIII LSC - 13.221 @ 104.91
95 Pearl White Thunderbird SC 5spd - 12.879 @ 106.66
98 Laser Red/Black Cobra Coupe (T-56/IRS) - 12.483 @ 110.94
My Web Site
Delrin IRS Bushing Kits - UHMW Spring Perches - SS Steering Joints
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:09 AM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
I've used that method various times with success and ease on my own car, but that's with shorter lowering springs. I don't think I'd want to try that with stock height springs.

-Matt
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:02 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post

Also, DO NOT use a spring compressor that you can "rent" from one of the auto parts stores....they suck and are dangerous....and very scary....I tried one, it did not work...I didn't have a "bad" experiance or anything, but it was very scary tightning it down and then loosening it up, hoping nothing flew apart, because it would have been violent.
Agreed; I own a set of these, and sport springs will really make you sweat.

The key is to make sure you don't put any body part in the direction of travel of the pieces, if it comes apart.

I rate this about a 7 on the danger scale, with disarming a live bomb a 10, and sitting in the shade on a beach a 1. YMMV; YMMSV.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 12:16 PM
smoothed and filled red pearl 94

Send a message via AIM to 94MN1246
Matt- is there anything to note when removing the front coils as described? i want to remove my h&rs to cut them down and was going to wait til i could afford to take my coilover assembly to a shop to have them disassembled then cut em and return to shop, etc... i had totally forgotten about the "ford thunderbird coil compressor" i have sitting outside thats free to operate. so any tips or things to be aware of outside the ordinary?

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'd take them out as an assembly and have them broken down. It will likely only cost $30-$40. Cut springs go back in much easier using the 'backyard-bomb' method. To me it is more risky taking them out, especially uncut. It can spring on you or get hung up and you'll be stuck with a bomb ready to explode under your half jacked up car.

Once you've jigged up a spring in a mounted compressor, you appreciate the amount of energy ready to explode out of a compressed spring.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:44 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandzep View Post
Once you've jigged up a spring in a mounted compressor, you appreciate the amount of energy ready to explode out of a compressed spring.
Sport Springs are over 500lbs/inch of compression. (!)

You have to compress them a bunch to get them together; ~3 inches at least.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
Sport Springs are over 500lbs/inch of compression. (!)

You have to compress them a bunch to get them together; ~3 inches at least.
I have a silly question.

Any reason why you couldn't:

a) Jack the lower control arm up to compress the spring.

b) put the spring compressor tool on the spring and tighten it down JUST until it starts to bind.

c) remove the assembly after letting the jack down under the LCA.

d) disassemble the spring/shock assembly.

e) reassemble partly, but with the spring still loose in the assembly.

f) bolt it all together

g) jack the LCA up until it starts to lift the car

h) tighten up the upper shock mount

i) remove the spring compressors

j) let the car down gently?

Best of both worlds, innit?

That's what I did with the rear springs on the strut assemblies on the Malibu - which admittedly are of a lower rate than the Sport springs on Ruby Jean, the 1991 Cougar XR7. But the methodogy looks good from here. And is what I plan when I do the front shocks and spring mounts.

RwP

RwP

Last edited by RalphP; 02-26-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Mispelink erurs
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Sport fronts are 400 lb/in at full compression, the rears are 500+ though. I'd never feel safe doing the car compressor method with those fronts, the springs are just too long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94MN1246 View Post
Matt- is there anything to note when removing the front coils as described? i want to remove my h&rs to cut them down and was going to wait til i could afford to take my coilover assembly to a shop to have them disassembled then cut em and return to shop, etc... i had totally forgotten about the "ford thunderbird coil compressor" i have sitting outside thats free to operate. so any tips or things to be aware of outside the ordinary?

-John
Main thing is to have a good strong jack and lower it very slowly, it only takes a few inches from the assembled height for lowering springs to slack. Also, loosen the one of the sway bar links so you can do one side at a time. Otherwise I did pretty much what Ralph described minus the compressors, think of it like doing the rear springs with a few extra steps.

-Matt
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2011, 03:34 PM

cool. thanks. i remember when i put the springs in that they were about 5 inches shorter than stock up front. the lowered rears went in like butter due to the shortness. i think ill **** with this sometime this week. ill be sure to post pics when im done.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 09:54 AM

okay one down one to go. this method works perfectly.

-John

MAMN-12 Fringe Member
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 02:12 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

I did a mark8 IRS swap and with sc springs it was hard to get them compressed, yes a little scary but wtf you only live once. And you only die once I ended up lifting the whole car off the stand to get the rear LCA high enough to put bolts through holes. The spring had that much power in it.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Kind of slapped together

Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splattered View Post
I did a mark8 IRS swap and with sc springs it was hard to get them compressed, yes a little scary but wtf you only live once. And you only die once I ended up lifting the whole car off the stand to get the rear LCA high enough to put bolts through holes. The spring had that much power in it.
Nothing related to this - but it was a bit of cognative dissonance to read "Compressing spring with car" with latest message by "Splattered" ... Glad it wasn't exactly that!

RwP
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-08-2011, 05:49 PM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphP View Post
Nothing related to this - but it was a bit of cognative dissonance to read "Compressing spring with car" with latest message by "Splattered" ... Glad it wasn't exactly that!

RwP
Yeah I didn't think about it that way, the name is more like in reference to making a mess of a place when you are doing a job. At least thats what I think of, just making a mess, like when you must paint something complicated and the paint gets splattered everywhere. I would hate to hear about someone's mishap and it used the word splattered to describe it.

Also the name of a very favorite song so yeah I like to reference my taste in music. I always got the tunes blasting to keep me driven to finish things like putting the bird back together while its in pieces.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in